This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Identify Yourself

Comments

• we Just started a game of Paranoia. (where surprisingly no one has died yet.).
    You're doing it wrong.
  • Hey, I'm Wings, female, 14 years of age and hailing from Upstate NY. I am currently caught spending my time in marching band, doing a hell of a lot of homework, or sitting around on the Internet. I play drums (snare in our drum line), role play with a friend of mine, read yaoi fan fiction (I'll won't rant about that here, though, of course), and I'm not to shabby with a pencil and paper, as far as sketching goes.

I've been listening to Geeknights for a little over a year, and though I've had an account here for a while, I don't believe I've ever posted anything. I had a question that I wanted to ask of the Geeknights forums (for I assume they are filled with people of awesome) and figured that while I was wt it, I might as well introduce myself and get acquainted here.

Apparently I like parentheses.
    What do you consider to be "upstate" exactly?
  • What do you consider to be "upstate" exactly?
    Well, not Adirondacks upstate. Oswego upstate. North of Syracuse upstate.
  • What do you consider to be "upstate" exactly?
    Well, not Adirondacks upstate. Oswego upstate. North of Syracuse upstate.
    Ah, so more like mid-state.

I grew up in the Adirondacks, so I'm very picky about the usage of "upstate." There are a lot of people who consider White Plains to be "upstate." :p

Welcome to the forums!
  • I grew up in the Adirondacks, so I'm very picky about the usage of "upstate." There are a lot of people who consider White Plains to be "upstate." :p
    People here call Yonkers "upstate." Beacon is "way, way upstate." Anything further north is a land full of dragons.
  • Ah, so more like mid-state.

I grew up in the Adirondacks, so I'm very picky about the usage of "upstate." There are a lot of people who consider White Plains to be "upstate." :p

Welcome to the forums!
    People around here consider ourselves to live in upstate NY, but when you look at it, it doesnt make sense geographically, does it? XD
  • I grew up in the Adirondacks, so I'm very picky about the usage of "upstate." There are a lot of people who consider White Plains to be "upstate." :p
    People here call Yonkers "upstate." Beacon is "way, way upstate." Anything further north is a land full of dragons.
    I just tell those people that I'm from Canada. When I say "Yeah, I grew up about 130 miles north of Albany," a lot of people say, "New York goes that far north?" It's easier just to say that I'm from Quebec.
  • Hi, I'm Lou Arruda (AKA "Dragonmaster Lou"), born 9/26/1976, and I work as a software engineer for a company you've never heard of unless you work in IT and have to manage storage arrays. I also staff two anime cons (Otakon and Anime Boston), and I live in the Boston area.
  • edited October 2008
    upstate
    I'm originally from the Rochester area, specifically LeRoy. That's how I know this group of happy fools: RIT.
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • Anything further north is a land full of dragons.
    Man that's cool. All we have here are stupid polar bears, and unicorns.
  • edited October 2008
    Man that's cool. All we have here are stupid polar bears, and unicorns.
    What are you complaining about? I hear unicorns taste WAY better than dragons.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • RymRym
    edited October 2008
    I hear unicorns taste WAY better than dragons.
    I have nothing but a tasteless joke, so I'll simply say nothing and disagree. ^_~
    Post edited by Rym on
  • Hello all,
    My name is Dennis, 23 years old, and I work for Phoenix Tech. in Bellevue, WA (near Seattle) as a BIOS engineer. I have been listening to the podcast for a fairly long while, but have never really thought of myself as much of a forum person. I thought I might as well give it a try--no harm right? Right? Anyways, I enjoy listening to the show at work, you guys definitely remind me of bantering with my friends. Anyways, I hope to get along with you all.
  • in Bellevue, WA (near Seattle)
    YAY! Another Washingtonian! Welcome! ^_^
  • BIOS engineer
    Oh man, that's a pretty awesome job making the Phoenix BIOS. What are you guys doing about BIOS replacements like EFI and such?
  • I have nothing but a tasteless joke, so I'll simply say nothing and disagree. ^_~
    Did it have to do with Dragon Heat? Bawobawobaaawo.
  • My real name is Trent but I like the name Rezz so I go by that on many websites. I am young compared to many of you; I was born on June 5th, 1993. I was born in Tacoma, Washington, but moved on the first day of 2001 to Boise, Idaho. In 2004 I moved to a house in Star, Idaho, which is just a few miles from Boise. Then, in June of 2008, I moved to Post Falls up in northern Idaho. In 2009, I will move from the current house, for reasons I will only explain if requested.
    I have too many interests to count, but here are a few: Electronics (several different types), Architecture, Mechanics, Computers, etc. I am very open when it comes to music; I will listen to pretty much anything besides country. Some of my favorite bands at the time of this post are Puddle of Mudd, Linkin Park, and 3 Doors Down. I like rock, metal, rap, hip-hop, techno, etc.
  • Tacoma, represent! Boise, not so much, however another Northwesterner! Welcome.
  • Since I started to make posts here (and not only listen all GN episodes) it's perhaps polite to introduce myself. My name is Markku, I'm 43 and I live in Finland in a town which name would be probably too difficult for you to say. English is not my native language but I get along with it. In addition to Finnish I understand Swedish and German.

My daily work in a big unnamed company is all about designing IT systems and services for our internal users. I'm interested in computers, anime/manga, sci-fi/fantasy and gaming. I'm the PR person for for Finnish Board Game Society and you can check my boardgames from boardgamegeek.com. I use the same nickname there. I also play board games almost daily online in brettspielwelt.de which is the biggest online board game portal in the world.
  • Hello! My name is Marius and I'm from Norway. What can I say about myself, well. I'm 18 years old and a student. I study Information systems and IT-management at Vestfold University College. I'm a huge geek. Love all things anime/manga, Star Trek, video games, podcasts and comics.

I honestly don't remember when I discovered Geeknights, but I've been a listener for what feels like years.
    When I discovered podcast in late 2005. my eyes opened. I've dropped TV! The hours I spent watching garbage and brainless entertainment is now spent on podcast.
    I truly believe that I grew as a person thanks to podcast. Maybe it sounds sad and strange, but I really feel that way.
    Geeknights is one of those podcasts. Anime World Order is another. To not sound like a geek with no life I probably should add History According to Bob aswell to that list.
    For sometime now I've been wanting to join this forum. But never felt that I had a reason.
    Today was the day I got a reason. I'm a huge fan of Don Rosa and his works. I wished you had talked more about the life of Scrooge McDuck. It truly is an amazing story and a huge part of my childhood. Donald Duck has its own magazine that comes out each week, and probably is the best selling magazine in Norway. Honestly.
    When a new Don Rosa story comes out they but a huge add on the front cover that says "NEW DON ROSA". I always get a grin on my face when I see that. Ahh.
    I could talk hours about this, so I'll end it here.

So this is me, hey again and good night!
  • Yo, I am Sean Cummings, 19. I am currently working as an evening shift janitor at a local high school. I live in Frederick, Maryland. I have lived in Maryland my whole life and I dunno if that well change or not. I love Anime, Manga, Video Games, Podcasts, Blues, Rock & Roll and Metal.

I found GeekNights through Anime World Order and Fast Karate for the Gentlemen. I wish I could have found out about them sooner, though because I went to Otakon 08 and I would have gone to everyone's panals if I had known what I know now.

Rock on
  • Wait a tic! Suitland High Sean Cummings?!
  • Hello. I am Matthew from Baltimore, MD. I have been a listener of the show for over 2 years and finally decided to join to forums. I know... I know... I am here so you can guess most of my hobbies. I work in IT doing some really cool stuff.

I am a wanna be drummer. I just bought a drum kit back in July because I am a big Rock band nut. I don't know if I'm any good or not but I like it. If you want to know more, just ask.
  • edited November 2008
    It's good to update every now and again.

Hi, My name is Victor. I used to be an east coast geeknights listener, but then I moved out west in my quest to make my life as interesting as possible should there ever be a Wikipedia page about me. I'm a full-time student, part-time freelance computer repairman, half-time musician, and a time and a half writer. I'm in the middle of writing three novels and I'd consider myself lucky if I ever finish one of them. I don't study yet somehow manage to get decent grades.

I hope to one day walk in the foot-steps of Leo Laporte and be a successful radio show host, using my knowledge of technology to help people solve their problems. After that, I hope to retire and spend the rest of my days running a cybercafe.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • How are you liking California?
  • edited November 2008
    It's nice. I found out today that after the winter holidays there's no school until May, so I'll be getting a job soon, Preferably at a mall.

Edit: Wait...the school site doesn't seem to jive... Hrm...
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • Greetings to all, my name is James Lawson. I just joined the forums and have been listening to Geek Nights for some time. I'm 38 and live in Anniston, AL working security at a local hospital while in my spare time pursuing a degree in Computer Engineering. Yes, putting someone who thinks like an engineer into an instinctive job such as security brings about unbridled hilarity. My Geek interests are in computers, anime, and Doctor Who.
  • edited February 2009
    I guess I'll update it for now.

My name is Logan, I'm currently 15, born January 6th, 1994. I love anime, video games, music, the internet, computers, technology and various other geeky and non-geeky things. I live in Oklahoma, born and raised. Went to catholic schools up until now, but I am now going to a public high school. I've grown up with video games and anime, and I love them, although I don't get to enjoy them as much as I'd like. Computers and tech are other big ones. I also dawdle on the piano, guitar, bass, and drums, for about 3 years in all of them (more less than others), and like rock/metal, blues, techno/dance/trance, anime/video game music, and lots of others, although music isn't my main geekery. You can check some of my other accounts around the internet for more info.
    Post edited by Loganator456 on
  • Just joined so I suppose this is a good place to start.

My name is Jonathon, my current age is 25 and I reside in Glennville, Georgia. I lived the first half of my life all over Germany until moving to Georgia. I like to think of myself as an all-around geek, what with dipping my hands in anime, manga, video games, science fiction, and of course, technology. My main form of geekness is anime. Though I'm currently working at a nursing home, I'm constantly trying to get published and be able to live off my works as I enjoy both drawing and writing. Just discovered the show a few months ago and have enjoyed it immensely as it's very helpful to me on the technology front.

So if the publishing gods see it that I'm worthy enough to get published, I hope to get famous (or infamous) enough to get interviewed by Rym and Scott... lofty goals indeed.
  • So hey,

My name is Daniel, currently 19 and in my first year studying Aeronautical Engineering for my Masters at Loughborough University in the UK. Apart from this year, I have lived in London all my life. My main geekiness is Anime, although I dip my hand in a lot of others. Uni is quickly becoming the best time of my life, currently I study my course along with playing in my University American Football team, I help out at a Karate dojo and every so often I start some sort of web development project and never finish.

That may or may not be it.