This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Pokemon is going VOIP!

Comments

• Multiplayer on Excite Truck and Wario Ware were disappointing.
  • edited March 2007
    The benefit of leveling up in this mode is to get access to the attacks you want your Pokemon to have.
    The Pokemon also keep their IVs and EVs that effect their stats as well. So if you train your Pokemon to have max attack it will have more attack than a Pokemon that did not. The auto level 50 will even things out a bit, but if my Pokemon kills yours in two hits instead of three it can win me the game.
    *sigh* I've noticed this problem a lot in Nintendo's multiplayer. They tend to make multiplayer games that downplay skill a lot. Excite Truck, Mario Party, Pokemon, Smooth Moves, etc. all have multiplayer modes where skill is not the major factor in victory. Meanwhile, some other Nintendo games like Smash Bros., Tetris DS, Wario Ware (GameCube), where skill is the #1 factor in winning, are the games that retain the most replay value over time. The thing is, the games where the multiplayer sucks are the games where you really really want the multiplayer to be good.
    Don't assume that Pokemon battles don't take skill. They definitely do. Knowing when to switch out, what attack to use, when to use said attack, and such are major factors in your success. Your chance of success also depends heavily on your team build. Knowing which Pokemon to use and which attacks to teach your Pokemon will help out quite a bit.

Trust me. Pokemon battles can get incredibly intense and will definitely be a lot of fun.
    Post edited by VentureJ on
  • The bitch part about switching out is knowing that if the other guy does not they will land a free attack on you!

You can get some very interesting combos going with some Pokemon such as using "Perish Song" in a way that prevents the other team from switching out Pokemon!
  • In XD Gale of Darkness there are discs you can find with preset battle on them. They can be real tough as some are along the lines of: "beat these three Pokemon in three turns."

One of my favorites was the one where you use the different Eevee evolutions to defeat a Mew of a slightly higher level.
  • I haven't played pokeyman since Red/Blue. I feel as if there is going to be a steep learning curve in what I have missed.
  • I haven't played pokeyman since Red/Blue. I feel as if there is going to be a steep learning curve in what I have missed.
    We'll help you out so don't worry about it.
  • edited March 2007
    Although most people would think that the 100 Pokemon addition is just excessive, I am honestly looking forward to it. Adding more Pokemon types just adds more diversity and balance to the game. The Metagame is definitely going to change, and I just can't wait to see what the new Pokemon are going to be like and how it's going to affect the gameplay.

I am very excited for this game.
    Post edited by VentureJ on
  • Yeah, I'm excited to see how the new dual-types work out.

From what I have been hearing the starter water type becomes a water steel type. That sounds pretty good to me. Steel is known for being weak against water and fire. Granted it will be super vulnerable to electric attacks, but if you can pair it up with a Pokemon with the lightning rod ability you will be set!
  • I forgot about Gengar. I had him, he was teh awesome with his nightmare.
    My Gengar was the shit. He was all about Hypnosis and Dream Eater. Put them to sleep, take their health, and replenish my own at the same time. I also gave him Hyper Beam just because I could.
  • I forgot about Gengar. I had him, he was teh awesome with his nightmare.
    My Gengar was the shit. He was all about Hypnosis and Dream Eater. Put them to sleep, take their health, and replenish my own at the same time. I also gave him Hyper Beam just because I could.
    That's the same as my Gengar, only I didn't have Hyper Beam. I would switch in my Dragonite when I needed the beam.
  • We will need to run some Pokemon events once everyone is settled in with D/P.

I still favor using Eevee and the evolutions but, the new game will have a grass Eevee and an ice Eevee added in. With more than 6 I'll have to pair my group down!
  • I still favor using Eevee and the evolutions but, the new game will have a grass Eevee and an ice Eevee added in. With more than 6 I'll have to pair my group down!
    You don't really need the ice one if you have Vaporeon. They'll be able to learn many of the same attacks.
  • If you have not heard the news yet, the new Pokemon DS games will have voice chat!

This means I can berate Scott when I crush his Borlax with my Mudkip!!!
    Chinese myth dragon?
  • We need a Cthulhu fighting game.

"My Shub-Niggurath totally pwned your Yog-Sothoth!"
  • We need a Cthulhu fighting game.

"My Shub-Niggurath totally pwned your Yog-Sothoth!"
    Pokethulhu is a real tabletop RPG. I've played it, and it's kind of fun.
  • Pokethulhu is a real tabletop RPG.
    We should play that again at least once.
  • Pokethulhuis a real tabletop RPG.
    We should play that again at least once.
    The manual was an entertaining read.
  • Well, I've got my copy reserved, how 'bout everybody else? Just one more week!
  • edited April 2007
    If you have not heard the news yet, the new Pokemon DS games will have voice chat!

This means I can berate Scott when I crush his Borlax with my Mudkip!!!
    Chinese myth dragon?
    I am distraught by the fact that no one has made a "So i herd u liek mudkips" joke...
    Well, I've got my copy reserved, how 'bout everybody else? Just one more week!
    I'm saving my money for tLoZ: Phantom Hourglass...
    Post edited by whatever on
  • Yep, we already reserved one copy of each game.

The bitch part is that in order for both games to have one of each legendary we will have to restart them both after catching the new legendary pokemon.

Well you should really only use either Dialaga or Palkia because they don't work very well together on an uber level team.
    I'll be more than happy to store some of your pogeymans while you restart your game if you need it. :P
  • Of course, we're going to be holding GN Pokemon tournaments, right?
  • Of course, we're going to be holding GN Pokemon tournaments, right?
    Wi-Fi tournaments would be awesome. Maybe awesome enough to get me to purchase the new games. I'm still kind of mad about how bad Mystery Dungeon was, though...
    Thank you!
  • edited April 2007
    I'm still kind of mad about how bad Mystery Dungeon was, though...
    That's your fault for buying it and thinking it was going to be like the typical Pokemon RPG. Same goes for anyone who bought Pokemon Ranger.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • I'm still kind of mad about how bad Mystery Dungeon was, though...
    That's your fault for buying it and thinking it was going to be like the typical Pokemon RPG. Same goes for anyone who bought Pokemon Ranger.
    Yes, only the actual Pokemon games are worth playing. If a Pokemon game is not in the main series of Pokemon RPGs, it is probably going to be garbage. Notable exceptions are Pokemon Snap!, which is really great for a few hours, and Pokemon Puzzle League, which is actually Panel de Pon. What other Pokemon games are good that aren't in the main series?
  • I'm still kind of mad about how bad Mystery Dungeon was, though...
    Yes, only the actual Pokemon games are worth playing. If a Pokemon game is not in the main series of Pokemon RPGs, it is probably going to be garbage. Notable exceptions are Pokemon Snap!, which is really great for a few hours, and Pokemon Puzzle League, which is actually Panel de Pon. What other Pokemon games are good that aren't in the main series?
    You pretty much got both of them. Pokemon Snap!, although short, was an extremely fun game. And Puzzle League was super addicting. I might throw the Pokemon Pinballs into the mix with hesitation, since they are addicting but can also become very old very fast after the initial addiction wears off.
  • edited April 2007
    How could you possibly not mention the awesome Pokemon Stadium for the N64? And yes, my purchase was a very bad idea. But, hey, I sold it to my friend for twenty bucks and bought a used copy of the rocking Bomber Man with half of that... Nevertheless, I'll never get those other twenty bucks back of the original forty that I spent...
    You pretty much got both of them. Pokemon Snap!, although short, was an extremely fun game. And Puzzle League was super addicting. I might throw the Pokemon Pinballs into the mix with hesitation, since they are addicting but can also become very old very fast after the initial addiction wears off.
    I loved Pokemon Pinball for the GBC. That game was hours of awesome.
    Post edited by whatever on
  • Pokemon Ranger is an "entertaining" game but it is not a "Pokemon" game per se. However, the only way to get a Manaphy egg is by playing Pokemon Ranger. I'm guessing you will be able to breed for them in Diamond/Pearl at some point though it may be a case where Manaphy can not be caught in the wild and you have to have a special item.

In all honesty, the Pokemon Ranger line is turning into the "parent friendly" version of Pokemon simply because you are not just cock fighting with pocket monsters!
  • It's getting close to pogeyman time on the DS, so I suggest that you read the following.
    This is a basic guide about constructing a pokemon team. It was written for the advance games, but it will work for D/P.
    This is an idea about pokemon team building in D/P.
    This is a list of the predicted standard pokemon you will probably face in the D/P online metagame.