This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Pokemon is going VOIP!

Comments

• edited April 2007
    Pokemon Ranger is an "entertaining" game but it is not a "Pokemon" game per se. However, the only way to get a Manaphy egg is by playing Pokemon Ranger. I'm guessing you will be able to breed for them in Diamond/Pearl at some point though it may be a case where Manaphy can not be caught in the wild and you have to have a special item.

In all honesty, the Pokemon Ranger line is turning into the "parent friendly" version of Pokemon simply because you are not just cock fighting with pocket monsters!
    That's just stupid. Pokemon has no blood! It has no excessive violence! It's the most kid-appropriate game series I've ever seen! I hate those type of people who claim that things are inappropriate just for attention. These parents are probably the same ones who don't let their kids play D+D because it's "satanic," and don't let their kids read H.P. Lovecraft because they think that the kid's going to start reading Necronomicons... Damn you, uninformed masses!!
    Post edited by whatever on
  • ...read H.P. Lovecraft because they think that the kid's going to start reading Necronomicons...
  • ...read H.P. Lovecraft because they think that the kid's going to start readingNecronomicons...
    Oops. I fixed the post.
  • It's getting close to pogeyman time on the DS, so I suggest that you read the following.
    Thisis a basic guide about constructing a pokemon team. It was written for the advance games, but it will work for D/P.
    Thisis an idea about pokemon team building in D/P.
    Thisis a list of the predicted standard pokemon you will probably face in the D/P online metagame.
    Very useful for a lot of people here, but we should all consider using Pokemon we like to use instead of what the meta tells us to use.
  • Very useful for a lot of people here, but we should all consider using Pokemon we like to use instead of what the meta tells us to use.
    I agree. I use the Pokemon I like without regard for what is the optimal way to win. Just find some combination of Pokemon and abilities that combine to for an effective attack and sturdy defense assuming you do not know what your opponent has. Also make sure to cover as many elements as possible to prevent your entire team from crumbling just because the other guy has a grass type. Other than that, pick the Pokemon you like and give them all nicknames of awesome.
  • edited April 2007
    In the ACTUAL Pokemon game, you really can't customize your pokemon as much, so it really then depends on what team YOU want instead of what team the meta calls for. That is why I will definitely like the DS version so much better.

I can't wait...11 more days!
    Post edited by VentureJ on
  • I don't put much stock in the guides because (unless you are cheating) you can't exactly make a Pokemon tailored as the guides tell you. Besides, I play to have fun and I like to use certain Pokemon.

A good example of this is my "Eevee squad". I know that they can not beat the big guns but, it's just need to have a group of Pokemon to battle with that are all related!

• Very useful for a lot of people here, but we should all consider using Pokemon we like to use instead of what the meta tells us to use.
    Well yeah that's kinda a given. You should only worry about the more complex stuff if you're in a competition.
  • I'm going to take a lot of shit for asking this, but I have to know. We all know the joke of "I herd you liek Mudkips." Where did this joke originally come from? I found it in many many places, but I don't know the origin story.
  • I'm going to take a lot of shit for asking this, but I have to know. We all know the joke of "I herd you liek Mudkips." Where did this joke originally come from? I found it in many many places, but I don't know the origin story.
    I'm guessing 4chan, seeing as how 99% of all the current meme's come from there.
    I'm guessing 4chan, seeing as how 99% of all the current meme's come from there.
    I need answers, not guesses.
  • edited April 2007
    I need answers, not guesses.
    Doing some investigating I seem to be confirmed by the comments to this ytmnd.

EDIT:
    Started as another Meme on 4chan
    Sauce
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • So can I see this original 4chan meme?
  • So can I see this original 4chan meme?
    Find it yourself you lazy bastard.
    Well, I believe it truly began in DeviantArt. A girl supposedly had a lot of fairly well-drawn Pokemon art on her gallery. Some guy then posted a pick up line similar to "You like Pokemon, right? Well, I like pokemon too! Let's go out!!". Eventually, in the very early stages of this meme, a screenshot of this conversation was posted on 4Chan and it inevitably spread. After many posts making fun of the conversation, the meme became "So I herd u liek Mudkips."

That's pretty much the story from what I've been told.
  • According to the 4chan wiki:
    So i herd u liek mudkips
    Originally a DeviantArt comment inviting someone to join a Pokemon usergroup, introduced to /b/ with a flurry of Mudkip images. Used freely as "so i herd u like *"
  • I heard that too, although I have been told that the 4chan wiki is VERY unreliable.
  • It seems that the weather effect sandstorm now raises the special defence of rock type pokemon by 1.5 when it's in effect. Tyranitar may be pushed to uber level due to him now having effectively a 660 base stat total which is 10 less than Groudon/Kyogre. Hippowdon has the same ability to make a constant sandstorm like Tyranitar so it's something to consider when building a team.

LINK
  • What is it that determines which pokebody power will affect the battle?

i.e. You put out Groudon and the other player uses Kyogre. Which pokebody power will win out?
  • Rym and I got Fire Red and Leaf Green in the mail yesterday. Rym has never played Pokemon before. I played Red and Silver back in the day. I started playing a brand new game of Green on the train this morning. You know what? It's still fun. I thought it might not be as good as it was back in the day, but it is. It's freaking great. It's been 6 years since I last played Pokemon, and I can't figure out why I stopped. Oh yeah, colleges.

Everything I wrote in that other thread about random encounters is totally true. Pokemon gets everything right. They combine everything that Chrono Trigger, Golden Sun, Earthbound and Zelda 2 did right with random encounters and put them all in one game.

I've already got an idea for what my Poketeam is going to be. I have a feeling it's going to be really dangerous. It's one of those ideas where if the other player knows what you are going to do, they can stop you if they have the right stuff prepared. However, it's also one of those ideas where you will win almost every time playing against random people who don't know what you have. They will be totally unprepared for what is to come, and their Pokemons will die, even the mudkips.

Of course, my idea only takes into account what I know about Pokemon from playing Red/Silver. I'm sure everyones Crystal/Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald will pwn me with things I don't know about. That's ok, I don't care. Other than the Pokemon I will inevitably have to use in order to get started in Diamond/Pearl, I'm going to stick with only the original 150 Pokemon to prove that newfangled Pokemon are the crap. Well, I might use something weird like an Unknown, but exceptions like that will be few.

I'm actually sad because I just found out that only Fire Red has oddish, one of my favorite Pokemon. :(
  • Then you will have to trade with Rym!

Pokemon gets a bum rap because it is aimed at kids. I think it is a great game because it has so much that gamers like.

1) Collect stuff
    2) Instant gratification when your guys gain XP
    3) Interesting side quests
    4) Simple gameplay
    5) Sandbox play
    6) Badges that clearly indicate how far in the game you are
    7) A wide variety of team building options

You may notice that flying types are no longer the killer pokemon they used to be. I remember beating Yellow version and my Fearow did everything. Once I beat the final guys my pokemon were all near level 30 and my Fearow was level 90!

You will also find that they added a bunch of new areas to green and red. You get to ride on a boat at one point (after you beat the elite four) to some interesting new lands! That is not a spoiler.

• You will also find that they added a bunch of new areas to green and red. You get to ride on a boat at one point (after you beat the elite four) to some interesting new lands! That is not a spoiler.
    What else did they add in Green/Red that were not in the originals?

Also, it's funny that you mention Fearow. I just got a Spearow, and I killed all the bugs in the forest because its peck attack is super effective against them. I remember there being Pikachus in that forest in the original, but I couldn't find any now. Did they change that?
  • I think the Pikachus are only in the forest if you have Leaf Green. I know I caught one there in my Leaf Green but it was rare. Try the upper Right area of the forest.
  • Then you will have to trade with Rym!

Pokemon gets a bum rap because it is aimed at kids. I think it is a great game because it has so much that gamers like.

1) Collect stuff
    2) Instant gratification when your guys gain XP
    3) Interesting side quests
    4) Simple gameplay
    5) Sandbox play
    6) Badges that clearly indicate how far in the game you are
    7) A wide variety of team building options

You may notice that flying types are no longer the killer pokemon they used to be. I remember beating Yellow version and my Fearow did everything. Once I beat the final guys my pokemon were all near level 30 and my Fearow was level 90!

You will also find that they added a bunch of new areas to green and red. You get to ride on a boat at one point (after you beat the elite four) to some interesting new lands! That is not a spoiler.
    Yeah, I agree, though I still prefer not to associate with it immediately because of that bad rap. They really are great games; let me list some more things:

8) Tons of things to collect
    9) High replay value (use different Pokemon)
    10) Good customization for the time (name Pokemon, pick moves, etc.)

Has anyone here done the cheat on blue/red similar to the infinite item trick, but instead you can fight Gary with a party of all Missingno (different kinds of them!). You don't get any money for beating him though. You have to beat the first Missingno and keep surfing to do it. I found that out on my own, and it never seems to be on any cheat sites.

I wish they could do a Pokemon like game with mechs or something like that. Not Custom Robo...
  • I got Pikachu in the woods on the way home.
  • What is it that determines which pokebody power will affect the battle?

i.e. You put out Groudon and the other player uses Kyogre. Which pokebody power will win out?
    If both are sent out at the same time, then the slower pokemon's ability will activate.
  • edited April 2007
    What else did they add in Green/Red that were not in the originals?
    They added 7 more islands to explore, the newer HMs that weren't present in the first game, and the chance to get some Pokemon from Gold and Silver.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • Be forewarned though, don't burn yourself out Pokemon-wise before Diamond/Pearl comes out. I've decided that I'm not going to play any Pokemon game until I have D/P in my hands.
  • Be forewarned though, don't burn yourself out Pokemon-wise before Diamond/Pearl comes out. I've decided that I'm not going to play any Pokemon game until I have D/P in my hands.
    Wait, have you played a Pokemon game before? Cuz I've been leveling my Sapphire/Emerald/FireRed Pokemon like crazy the last month. It's pretty hard to get burnt out on Pokemon.
  • You won't burn out on pokemon unless you try to breed for IVs/nature. :(