This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Pokemon is going VOIP!

Comments

• This one too ^_^
  • The TV in the game called me "nihilistically cool" XD
  • edited April 2007
    Yeah the female design is definitely superior to the guy and his odd beret. It's like Jamie Hyneman meets Mario... minus the mustaches which likely would have been a nice addition.
    Pokemon > 150 are teh suck, including Mudkips!
    I will agree, in so far as that the original 151 are awesome, but I feel that there are some above 151 that are good.
    Post edited by Kiey on
  • 2964 5061 8503

Let us all be friends!
  • Anyone else noticing that some Pokemon are evolving (or not evolving) at different levels?

Earlier today my Shinx evolved at level 14 but I accidentally turned them game off without saving. when he hit level 14+ again he did not evolve!
  • Anyone else noticing that some Pokemon are evolving (or not evolving) at different levels?

Earlier today my Shinx evolved at level 14 but I accidentally turned them game off without saving. when he hit level 14+ again he did not evolve!
    I'm sure you know that there are varying circumstances for Pokemon evolution. There must be some other factor that causes the Pokemon to evolve besides level 14. Perhaps a certain stat breaks a certain point? I don't know.

Actually, he evolves at level 15. You have to wait a bit more.
  • I'm telling you, he actually evolved at level 14 for me! He then evolved at 15 after I forgot to save...

Same thing happened with the new bird pokemon (starfly?). Mine evolved one level sooner than my daughter's did...

I know they added a bunch of weird evolution requirements but I'm avoiding that information until I complete the game. I want to enjoy coming up on a new pokemon and having no idea what type it is!
  • Everyone has been put on the friend code list. If you want a battle or trade just send me a PM. :P
  • Yeah, different Pokemon of the same species do evolve at slightly different times. My friend confirmed this for me at school today.

How is everyone doing progress-wise? I've got two badges.
  • I'm at 2 badges, and at the third gym but gotta level my mons some more before I go at it.
  • My guys are all hovering about level 20 and I'm on my way to the third gym.

I acquired the egg (3700 steps thus far) and I'm doing fairly well with the new pokemon.
  • Code: 2620 9095 3274

Name: L

Add me, everyone! I love the drawing feature in the union room so much XD
  • I can't believe I jsut got spanked in a double trainer battle! I have never "whited out" before today...

Poor me...

I just could not compete against the power of a psychic and a dragon/water pokemon... I was one attack away from winning (damn hypnosis!!!) but I was not fast enough...
  • I can't believe I jsut got spanked in a double trainer battle! I have never "whited out" before today...

Poor me...

I just could not compete against the power of a psychic and a dragon/water pokemon... I was one attack away from winning (damn hypnosis!!!) but I was not fast enough...
    I am beginning to think that Speed is the most important thing in real battles. Pretty much any human being is going to come at you with a wide variety of Pokemon in order to cover all the possible types. They will have at least one Pokemon strong against each of yours, and at least one that can defend against each of yours, and vice versa. The key to victory will be who can get the move off fast enough that the other guy can't switch out.

However, the battling isn't simply so shallow. The trick is to lull the opponent into a false sense of security. Make them think that your Pokemon is weak against theirs, and that you don't have any attacks that can hurt what they've got out right now. Then, use the move you learned with a TM to blow them away!

Lastly. I think that in the end, I will have a separate team of Pokemon specifically designed for dual battles. There are many moves that can affect multiple Pokemon, and you will want to know a whole bunch of them. For example, you have a Pokemon that knows magnitude and a flying Pokemon out at the same time. The magnitude hurts both of your opponents, but not your partner because he's flying. Another good idea I had is to put out Pokemon like Chansey or Snorlax in the dual battle. The other trainer will be forced to double-team them in order to get rid of them, and that's when your other Pokemon can pwn.
  • Explode + ghost for fun and profit in double battles!

Anyone have trouble with the first gym? His last pokemon destroyed me the first time I fought him.
  • Explode + ghost for fun and profit in double battles!
    Good one! You could probably make a team of 3 bombs, 2 ghosts and a ghost killer. If each bomb kills two of theirs in one hit, you win. If they have a ghost, you kill it with your ghost killer.
  • The first gym guy was easy for me after I captured a wild Machop. I took the fire guy as a starter...

A common trick with dual battling has been to use earthquake with a flyer or explosion/protect.

when I get into a double battle I try to focus on one of the opposing trainers Pokemon first. Once I knock their Pokemon out it becomes a two-on-one battle. This particular time I got screwed because the other side was putting my guys to sleep!

I find status-causing attacks to be not as useful during the story part of the game as you just want to defeat your opponents Pokemon. When you battle for batting's sake then that idea changes. when you are facing off against a touch Pokemon you want to go for the paralyze/sleep/confusion attacks but in general quick play it just makes the battle last one more turn.

I keep telling people that there is a ton of game-play value in the Pokemon games just under the surface.

I especially like finding those special Pokemon who can learn things that counter their weaknesses. There is nothing better than having a fighting type learn a dark or rock attack to counter those uppity psychic and flying types!
  • Snorlax can be real nasty in a double battle! With an attack lineup of snore/rest you can really put some hurt on your opponent!

I find that Snorlax will usually rest for two turns before waking up. when you factor in the high HP nature of Snorlax (watch out for fighting types) you can easily dominate with him. He does get outclassed at higher levels but, when battling at the level 30 range Snorlax is one tough Pokemon!
  • Hey steve, you're going to trade your manapy around to all the people on the fourms so we can fill out our pokedexs riiiiighhhtt?
  • What?

I'll breed it with a Ditto so you can have the non-Manaphy version :)

Yes, Manaphy is the first "breedable" legendary.

Damn, I just got smoked by the third gym leader! Guess I should have healed all of my guys before battling her!
  • Damn it! Twice in a row that third gym leader has beaten me down! Her third Pokemon just kicks me to the curb every time! I guess I shouldn't try taking a level 30 Pokemon down with level 23 Pokemon ?
  • Damn it! Twice in a row that third gym leader has beaten me down! Her third Pokemon just kicks me to the curb every time! I guess I shouldn't try taking a level 30 Pokemon down with level 23 Pokemon ?
    Wow, third gym leader level 30. Not too shabby.
  • I finally beat the third gym leader and now I'm doing some intensive training... I've got some new Pokemon that I think evolve (holes in the pokedex) but I'm not sure...

This new Pokemon game is far and away the best yet.
  • I'm now 15 hours into this game and I've only beaten three gyms! I have added 61 Pokemon to my Pokedex though!

I've got one new Pokemon I'm leveling up and I'm 90% sure he will evolve soon and I'm 99% sure he will evolve into something from Ruby/Sapphire...

Hey Apreche, if you hadn't quit your old job you could be like me and play Pokemon all day at work!
  • I'm now 15 hours into this game and I've only beaten three gyms! I have added 61 Pokemon to my Pokedex though!

I've got one new Pokemon I'm leveling up and I'm 90% sure he will evolve soon and I'm 99% sure he will evolve into something from Ruby/Sapphire...

Hey Apreche, if you hadn't quit your old job you could be like me and play Pokemon all day at work!
    Too true. Presently, I'm just playing Leaf Green on the train. I'm not trying very hard to catch extra Pokemon, I'm just trying to get to the end. Once I make it to the end I can load up on Ultra Balls and collect all the Pokemon I missed. Once I've got enough I'll start playing Diamond and make the transfers in the Pal Park. I'll basically just use Leaf Green as Pokemon farm.
  • You can't use the PalPark until you beat D/P and complete your pokedex (seen not caught).

I am finding a good assortment of "original" Pokemon in the game... sorry, no Oddish yet.
    God, this game is insane. There are 8 badges, and it takes about 15 hours to get the first three. Another 15 or so hours for the next 3, and about 10 hours to get the last two. That's 40 hours on the gyms, not including the elite 4 and all the extra stuff. Got damn, that's awesome.
  • There is a ton of stuff to do in this game!

My daughter is bugging me to buy the "cheat guide book" but I keep telling her no! One of her friends picked it up and he is far ahead of us in the game (he's also ten years old and home schooled so he is just playing 20 hours a day).

It's so refreshing having no idea what the Pokemon I face are (type-wise). Having to guess and try different attacks makes the game more fun. Kind of like when you first started playing D&D and you were scared of fighting kobolds!

Also, the gym leaders (thus far) have been far tougher than in earlier games. I'm finding weird moves (a Ponyta with a grass attack) all over the place and a lot of steel/XXX dual types. The bad guys in the game have not been much of a problem but the trainers have been kicking me in the ass all over the place because they actually have good teams.

When I ran into that double battle and had to face off against a Dragon/Water and a Pyschic and all I had was a fire/fighting and some other basic single type guys I was screwed! I had to go back and fight them on their own because the match-up was so good! This sure beats finding a hiker who always has three Geodudes... Now that hiker has some weird shit thrown in to screw you up!
  • This sure beats finding a hiker who always has three Geodudes... Now that hiker has some weird shit thrown in to screw you up!
    lol, don't forget the Team Rocket henchman with 4 Zubats.