This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Pokemon is going VOIP!

Comments

• My friend has no life. He was almost 26 hours in as of this morning, i.e. 48 hours from release. Bastard.
  • Mystery Gift is back and they added a "Nintendo WFC" as an option!!!!

That is awesome news for all the folks out there who never have Pokemon events come near them. Speaking of which... I still have a Lugia and Ho-Oh to catch on my copy of Leaf Green...
  • So, how far are you guys in the game?
  • I'm about twenty hours in and just beat the fourth Gym. I'm heading back to the swamp to do some training and find some Pokemon (and items) I missed along the way.
  • All this morning on the train I raided the Leaf Green safari zone. I'm going to keep wandering it until I've got every Pokemon it has to offer. Anyone got Safari Zone tips?
  • All this morning on the train I raided the Leaf Green safari zone. I'm going to keep wandering it until I've got every Pokemon it has to offer. Anyone got Safari Zone tips?
    1 Stone, Ball, 1 Bait, Ball. Rinse. Repeat.

It doesn't work all the time, but it generally works for me.
    Just go through each patch of grass over and over again.

FYI: In Diamond and Pearl you can not use "cut" to cut the grass.

I didn't know you could cut grass at all.

It helps when your guys are all beat up and you know you can't get in a wild pokemon battle!

There are a few changes in the new game that I do like (running in buildings!) and some I do not (no cutting the grass.)

I'm also noticing that grass and fire types are very, very rare in the early parts of D/P. Water Pokemon are not rare at all though! In fact, there is such a wide variety of Pokemon in the game that each type just "feels" rarer than normal.

I have one grass pokemon in my group and have not even seen another aside from the starter! Same thing with fire Pokemon. In a way I expect most people will be using the same Pokemon throughout the early parts of the game simply due to the rareness of the Pokemon.

It helps when your guys are all beat up and you know you can't get in a wild pokemon battle!

There are a few changes in the new game that I do like (running in buildings!) and some I do not (no cutting the grass.)

I'm also noticing that grass and fire types are very, very rare in the early parts of D/P. Water Pokemon are not rare at all though! In fact, there is such a wide variety of Pokemon in the game that each type just "feels" rarer than normal.

I have one grass pokemon in my group and have not even seen another aside from the starter! Same thing with fire Pokemon. In a way I expect most people will be using the same Pokemon throughout the early parts of the game simply due to the rareness of the Pokemon.
    Rym and I are probably going to do the trick where one of us restarts the game a whole bunch of times and the other person holds onto a whole bunch of the starter Pokemon. This should make the game a lot easier because we will cover all three types right off the bat. I also plan to use that beaver looking thing I saw in the grass at the start of the game.
  • edited April 2007
    I'm 18 hours in and at the fifth gym. 4th gym was rough without any grass or electric pokemon. :(
    Post edited by Railith on
  • Ok, everyone. Check out the latest word on the street. Japan has had D/P for months now. We have had the game for only a few days. Japanese people have great Pokemon. We have relatively crappy Pokemon. If we name our Pokemon, we can only use the English alphabet. If they name their Pokemon, they can only use the Japanese alphabet. Apparently the Japanese people want to have English-named Pokemon so badly that they will trade you awesome Pokemon for crappy Magikarps. Here is the story. I need people to confirm/deny ASAP. If I can somehow turn an army of essentially free Nidoran from the Safari Zone into a team of badass Japanese Pokemon, that will be awesome.
  • There are some pokemon that will have their forgien pokedex entry if you get them. Like Japanese pikachu's pokedex will in English and Japanese if you get one.

Most of the trades on the GTS are total ass like lv100 legendary for a starter. I did get a combee from it. :|
  • Doing the starter trade scam is not as easy on D/P. It takes a good 30+ minutes to get to the point where you can trade Pokemon back and forth. Once I acquire a Ditto I will be making the starter eggs.

The 4th gym is a cakewalk with a grass Pokemon, not so much with the electric as there were some ground/water types in there...
  • edited April 2007
    Lawl, does that mean that we actually have two Pokedexes to complete? The English one and Japanese one? That's only for hardcore people right there.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • 0___0 Oh noes!

My pokemon leaf green game won't save! What do I do? I had high leveled pokemon... T.T
  • Someone get online. I feel like getting beaten.
  • Someone get online. I feel like getting beaten.
    I'll be there.
  • Should we set a time where everyone goes online to battle/trade?
  • I can battle at night at any time.
  • edited April 2007
    I just battled Sail right now, and I'd have to say that it was quite a fun experience. The voice chat audio quality was ok and it didn't lag at all. Being able to talk in battle adds SO much to the game. Although I did win the battle, we both organized a trading session. We talked there too.

Get online chrono. I added you.
    Post edited by VentureJ on
  • You people are coming close to convincing me to buy something Pokemon. 23 years of my life I have been Pokemon free.
  • edited April 2007
    Yeah, talking is fun. Except my parents kept walking in and asking me why I was talking. Somehow they've learned to leave me alone while on Skype, but they can't apply that same methodology to the phone or anything else.

I had to go because the MythBusters were doing Ninja Myths. Just in case anyone was wondering:

-It is impossible to catch an arrow with your hand.
    -It is impossible to catch and stop a katana using your bare hands.
    -It is impossible to walk or run on water unless it is a non-Newtonian fluid, even if you have floating shoes.

Also, Ask A Ninja makes a most fantastic appearance.(Mythbusters Uncut > Pick a Clip > Ask a Ninja)
    Post edited by Sail on
  • asdgjk;!

You guys are taunting me with your pokemans, damn you! Australian release date is June..22nd? I think? I'm importing but there's still freakin' shipping time to account for so I'll be getting it May some time, argh.

Day/Night and Mystery Gift and people to actually trade with via Wifi make me so happy! I'm going to be hanging out at McDonalds/Starbucks/EB/hotel lobbies a lot, I can tell. :B
  • June..22nd?
    June 22nd? I'll be on a train to Florida then.

That's not related to anything I just wanted to brag about me going to America in 2 months. Carry on.
  • The "Underground" is a bit of a let down for me. I don't know if it is a DS vs. DS Lite issue but when my daughter and I were messing around with it I was getting very sluggish response times on my regular DS.
  • I was thinking of getting a new DS, my old one's kind of banged up... I've never used the long range chat system on the DS before, do you need special software? Or just a WiFi connection?
  • Oh Noes!!!!

I left my DS at home!!!!

No Pokemons for me today!!!
  • I just battled Sail right now, and I'd have to say that it was quite a fun experience. The voice chat audio quality was ok and it didn't lag at all. Being able to talk in battle adds SO much to the game. Although I did win the battle, we both organized a trading session. We talked there too.

Get online chrono. I added you.
    After I wrote on the forum my brother decided to play some Mario Karts :( I will be on today :D
  • I had to use my Master Ball on Palkia because I saved after barely making it through the galatic boss fight.