This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekChat

Comments

• If so many can join, then skype won't really cut it.
    How about have a few people to a conversation - five or six, around that - and then just join all the recordings together, or release them separately as shows on their own.
  • edited September 2008
    But then who gets to choose who talks with who? For example: if Emily, Scott or Viga participate, everyone will flock those conversations, it's like school PE.
    Post edited by MrRoboto on
  • Well, how about stickam? Flash will pose an inherent delay, but it can support more people and the possibility of video now exists.
    Or maybe Vent? or Teamspeak? Someone suggested it two pages back, but I can't remember who.
  • Well, how about stickam? Flash will pose an inherent delay, but it can support more people and the possibility of video now exists.
    Or maybe Vent? or Teamspeak? Someone suggested it two pages back, but I can't remember who.
    If we used Ventrilo we'd need a server.
  • But then who gets to choose who talks with who? For example: if Emily, Scott or Viga participate, everyone will flock those conversations, it's like school PE.
    Just have one in each conversation, I suppose.
  • no, no, that isn't any good. Load balancing Emily, Scott, and Viga isn't the answer.

The only thing preventing us from using Skype is bandwidth. Whoever is hosting the conversation has to have a fat pipe. My connection is a 10Mb downstream and a 5Mb upstream. I'll put my computer in the DMZ and host it this Saturday. We can see how well it'll work.

Who wants to be the backup host?
  • I have a puny 1Mb, so no can do on my side I guess.
  • no, no, that isn't any good. Load balancing Emily, Scott, and Viga isn't the answer.

The only thing preventing us from using Skype is bandwidth. Whoever is hosting the conversation has to have a fat pipe. My connection is a 10Mb downstream and a 5Mb upstream. I'll put my computer in the DMZ and host it this Saturday. We can see how well it'll work.

Who wants to be the backup host?
    I get 15mb down 2.5mb up if you want me to be the backup.

Also, you can host a ventrilo server so easily it isn't funny. It also allows you to change voice quality of all participants, so if we have bandwidth problems with it, we can just sacrifice a bit of audio quality. The only problem would be that the free server only allows 8 clients at a time, but I think I know a "buddy" who has a "license" for a larger client. I can "talk to him" if you need me to.
  • While I have a 20Mbit downpipe on a very, very good day, my upload pipe is only 1Mbit, add to that the fact that said pipes originate in Europe, means that I'm no good for a hosting position. As for Saturday, it is a better day, but that also means it's early Sunday morning over here. Friday would be perfect for me, but it's not like I would be able to join more were the day Friday than it being Saturday.

Also, my bet is that Viga would demand Sonic to join her conversation every time were we going to split up the chats. That's a _really_ bad idea by the way.
  • I have set up a Ventrilo server, and I need to see if it works.

IP: 65.34.57.132
    Port: 3784

Would anyone mind trying to connect?
  • I think it works.
  • I think it works.
    QFT.

Looks like if you want it, I have a quality Ventrilo server up and running. Info is in my last post, and it should be running 24/7. Feel free to hang out in there and maybe we can just have impromptu Geekchats. Kinda like we are right now. :P
  • QFT.

Looks like if you want it, I have a quality Ventrilo server up and running. Info is in my last post, and it should be running 24/7. Feel free to hang out in there and maybe we can just have impromptu Geekchats. Kinda like we are right now. :P
    Fuck yeah! Gaming channel FTW
  • Okay, I only need four more people to join. That would put us over the normal 8 person cap, and we'll know if this will be viable for a Geekchat.
  • Client programs
    Linux - In development
  • edited September 2008
    Ouch. They have a Linux server, but not a Linux client. Lame.

Edit: Googling it shows tutorials for running it in Wine.
    Post edited by Vhdblood on
  • edited September 2008
    I get 15mb down 2.5mb up if you want me to be the backup.

Also, you can host a ventrilo server so easily it isn't funny. It also allows you to change voice quality of all participants, so if we have bandwidth problems with it, we can just sacrifice a bit of audio quality. The only problem would be that the free server only allows 8 clients at a time, but I think I know a "buddy" who has a "license" for a larger client. I can "talk to him" if you need me to.
    Sounds good, and ask your buddy about that license.
    Also, my bet is that Viga would demand Sonic to join her conversation every time were we going to split up the chats. That's a _really_ bad idea by the way.
    Oh, why so?

By the by, I'm so stoaked about getting my new mixer and mike this week! 4 channel usb mixer and two Shure 97's! XD!!! Which means that as soon as I hook it up, I can record the geekchats! In awesome hi-fi!
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • edited September 2008
    ._.? I do what now? Huh?
    By the by, I'm so stoaked about getting my new mixer and mike this week! 4 channel usb mixer and two Shure 97's! XD!!! Which means that as soon as I hook it up, I can record the geekchats! In awesome hi-fi!
    Jealousy!

Anyway, the chaos is subsiding so I will be able to join again! YAY! Live from a new flat in DC! W00t!
    Post edited by Viga on
  • Huh, you say flat rather than apartment. Interesting.
  • I do when I'm to lazy to type apartment. :P
  • edited September 2008
    Hm, no one's on the Vent at this time. When are you guys normally on it?

Get in here, guys!
    Post edited by VentureJ on
  • I really need to get a new headset...
  • Argh my mic has failed me. At least I know it works.
  • For some reason, Ventrilo is giving me major lag spikes. I don't know why it's doing this on the GeekChat server. I've been on plenty others, and it doesn't lag at all...
  • For some reason, Ventrilo is giving me major lag spikes. I don't know why it's doing this on the GeekChat server. I've been on plenty others, and it doesn't lag at all...
    Hmmm... as you know, everyone else seems to be doing fine. I'd really like to get this resolved though.
  • What's the point of having a Ventrilo server? Steam provides for free! You don't even need to buy any games on Steam to use it.
  • What's the point of having a Ventrilo server? Steam provides for free! You don't even need to buy any games on Steam to use it.
    It requires Steam to be on, and I'd rather not be bothered with starting it up each time I want to get on.
  • It requires Steam to be on, and I'd rather not be bothered with starting it up each time I want to get on.
    How is that any different from turning on Skype, Ventrilo, or anything else?
    That's actually a fun idea. The only downside is that Steam only runs under Windows, and takes quite some time to load compared to Skype. Don't know about Ventrilo though. I think I would prefer Steam voice chat over Ventrilo though.