This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekChat

Comments

• Steam can't have separate channels AFAIK. It seems like one big voice chat room. Not to mention the client is smaller and it doesn't require an account.
  • Steam can't have separate channels AFAIK. It seems like one big voice chat room. Not to mention the client is smaller and it doesn't require an account.
    Whatever happened to TeamSpeak?
  • Oh hey, Teamspeak records in wav format. Nice.
  • It requires Steam to be on, and I'd rather not be bothered with starting it up each time I want to get on.
    How is that any different from turning on Skype, Ventrilo, or anything else?
    Steam is a lot bulkier, takes a while to load, and takes up more resources when playing a game that isn't Steam-based.
  • edited September 2008
    It requires Steam to be on, and I'd rather not be bothered with starting it up each time I want to get on.
    How is that any different from turning on Skype, Ventrilo, or anything else?
    Steam is a lot bulkier, takes a while to load, and takes up more resources when playing a game that isn't Steam-based.
    What kind of crummy computers do you people have where that small difference actually matters? I keep Steam open 24/7 and it doesn't hinder performance whatsoever.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • edited September 2008
    As far as I remember, Teamspeak had shitty audio quality, it won't allow you to change each individual's sound levels, which you can do with Ventrilo, and it seems bloated.

I haven't really played with the steam chat yet. I think the only problem there is people who don't have any Steam games have to go through the trouble of installing and updating a really bloated program for simple voice chat. I understand it isn't that much of a resource hog, but for something that you are only voice chatting with, it really is.
    Post edited by Vhdblood on
  • I haven't really played with the steam chat yet. I think the only problem there is people who don't have any Steam games have to go through the trouble of installing and updating a really bloated program for simple voice chat. I understand it isn't that much of a resource hog, but for something that you are only voice chatting with, it really is.
    The question to answer is why don't you have any Steam games? Have you not played Portal?
  • I haven't really played with the steam chat yet. I think the only problem there is people who don't have any Steam games have to go through the trouble of installing and updating a really bloated program for simple voice chat. I understand it isn't that much of a resource hog, but for something that you are only voice chatting with, it really is.
    The question to answer is why don't you have any Steam games? Have you not played Portal?
    I personally own the orange box, so it's not a problem for me, but I really doubt that everyone owns it. We have quite a few kids around whose only income is their parents, or broke college students, who can barely get money together for other living expenses. I don't know, maybe everyone will prove me wrong.
  • edited September 2008
    Ventrilo is free as well, and is much easier to fire up in an instant. No loading-times. No update pop-ups. With Steam, you still have to deal with a larger, bulkier interface and can be somewhat confusing to some people.

It's all about general ease and convenience. I don't see why Steam's voice-chat service would be better than Ventrilo.
    Post edited by VentureJ on
    I own it for the 360. My computer isn't powerful enough.
  • Well, since Vent does have it's advantages, I don't see why we wouldn't use it. I might say otherwise if I was hosting, but Vhdblood seems perfectly OK with it.
  • Well, since Vent does have it's advantages, I don't see why we wouldn't use it. I might say otherwise if I was hosting, but Vhdblood seems perfectly OK with it.
    Yeah, I'm pretty happy with Vent at this point, and I have a good connection and my computer's always on, so I don't see why not.
  • Ok, so Saturday at 7:30pm est (GMT-5) over Skype? Is that cool?
  • edited October 2008
    Ok, so Saturday at 7:30pm est (GMT-5) over Skype? Is that cool?
    Sounds cool to me, but I'll leave the vent server running in case you feel the need to use it.

Also, I won't be able to make it this Saturday, I have to go out of town, so I'm whispering the vent admin info to Victor.
  • edited October 2008
    @Vhdblood: Any chance you would give the voice server over to running a Tribes 2 server? Is this something you're running or just using an online service?
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • edited October 2008
    I'm running it off of my main computer, as it's always on.

Really, it can be used for whatever anyone wants, as long as it's Front Row Crew related, at least to some extent. I have a ton of bandwidth as far as Vent is concerned, and it's supposedly capped at 100 people, as opposed to the usual 8. We'll see when the time comes how many it can handle, but you have the vent information, so go wild.

Edit: I added a little more depth to the channels. There are separate channels for each game now. If you have any recommendations for a new Vent channel, or anything else pertaining to the Vent server, let me know.

Edit: Double edit. I just noticed what you meant. I would be fine with running a Tribes 2 game server if that's what you meant. I have more bandwidth than I can shake a stick at. Just let me know specifics and I'll do my best to help.
  • edited October 2008
    Win! Is the computer Linux or Windows?

If windows then:
    1) Get tribes 2 installed and updated.
    2) Go to: Start > Programs > Dynamix > Tribes 2 > Classic > "Tribes 2 Classic Only - Solo & LAN" and start it up.
    3) Go to "LAN game" at the bottom and click the "Host" tab.
    3) Set a name, password. Set the number of players to 64. Don't need bots (means we can use all maps).
    4) Under "Advanced Options": Set a port number (remember to port forward it so we can connect from outside), With modern computers we shouldn't have trouble setting it to "High Distance" instead of "High Framerate" (If it starts getting slow, that can be changed.).
    Now, I would go with setting it to a dedicated server and then running a separate instance for the client as if you disconnect from the game it won't disconnect everyone. Team damage "On", it's kinda hard to hit things you don't mean to anyway. Tournament? Don't know how that works. Then just tweak the other stuff as you see fit.

5) Then just start the server, start a client and use the insert method to test that the server is accessible from the outside (using your external IP, not the LAN IP).
    We'll need to know your IP address and the password (if you set one, may be better not to, to attract more visitors) then we should be all set.
  • edited October 2008
    Win! Is the computer Linux or Windows?

If windows then:
    1) Get tribes 2 installed and updated.
    2) Go to: Start > Programs > Dynamix > Tribes 2 > Classic > "Tribes 2 Classic Only - Solo & LAN" and start it up.
    3) Go to "LAN game" at the bottom and click the "Host" tab.
    3) Set a name, password. Set the number of players to 64. Don't need bots (means we can use all maps).
    4) Under "Advanced Options": Set a port number (remember to port forward it so we can connect from outside), With modern computers we shouldn't have trouble setting it to "High Distance" instead of "High Framerate" (If it starts getting slow, that can be changed.).
    Now, I would go with setting it to a dedicated server and then running a separate instance for the client as if you disconnect from the game it won't disconnect everyone. Team damage "On", it's kinda hard to hit things you don't mean to anyway. Tournament? Don't know how that works. Then just tweak the other stuff as you see fit.

5) Then just start the server, start a client and use the insert method to test that the server is accessible from the outside (using your external IP, not the LAN IP).
    We'll need to know your IP address and the password (if you set one, may be better not to, to attract more visitors) then we should be all set.
    I'll get on this soon, but I have a problem. I can't download the Full Game any more, and I didn't get it back when I could. It says that they are out of keys, and that I have to check back at a later date. After reading up on it a bit, everywhere says that there are no more keys period. Anyone know a way I can get one?

Edit: I went ahead and downloaded the client, just in case someone has a key for me.
  • Is there a less ethical but more practical approach then?
  • edited October 2008
    Is there a less ethical but more practical approach then?
    If you mean for the Tribes 2 server, I'm pretty sure the Key is checked when accessing the central server, but I'm checking to see what I can do.

Edit: I have to create an account to host a server or play online, and that requires a key. As far as I can tell, I either need a key, or someone's account that they don't use.
  • I mean, a private one with cracked client.
  • edited October 2008
    I mean, a private one with cracked client.
    AFAIK, everyone that wants to play on the server would have to do some kind of modification. My server wouldn't be on the normal internet server directory.

I may be totally wrong here though, so if anyone knows, let me know.

Edit: I can't find a whole lot on this. Seems really sketchy and difficult to do/connect to. Let me know if you find out anything.
  • How about something like Hamachi? the problem is that it wouldn't be on a list anywhere, kinda like a "friends only".
  • edited October 2008
    How about something like Hamachi? the problem is that it wouldn't be on a list anywhere, kinda like a "friends only".
    Yeah, but then everyone who wants to play has to download and install Hamachi, and then configure it. It's kind of a pain in the ass. If I could just get a hold of an unused account, I think we'd be home free.

Edit: Let me clarify, I'll totally set it up for Hamachi if everyone is cool with it, I'd just like some feedback on the idea before I go and set everything up.
  • Bk, You can get the Tribes 2 client via bittorent and you can set up a dedicated server through that.
    The LAN client doesn't require a CD key and if you go to the "Join" tab and press "insert" on your keyboard you can manually input a server IP address (make sure your T2 client is updated.). Don't bother with Hamachi.
  • Bk, You can get theTribes 2 client via bittorentand you can set up a dedicated server through that.
    The LAN client doesn't require a CD key and if you go to the "Join" tab and press "insert" on your keyboard you can manually input a server IP address (make sure your T2 client is updated.). Don't bother with Hamachi.
    Oh. Duh. Configuring everything as we speak.
  • Double post for clarity.

I went through and set everything up, but it gives me an error if I try to connect to my outside IP.

"Cannot join a LAN server with no matching Class B IP Address."
  • edited October 2008
    Have you updated your client to the latest version? If you're using Pidgin for IM, add me; I use Gmail, you can work out my address from there.
  • edited October 2008
    Have you updated your client to the latest version? If you're using Pidgin for IM, add me; I use Gmail, you can work out my address from there.
    I'm using 25034. AFAIK, that's the latest. Also, I tried to add you, but I can never get XMPP to work in Pidgin. Gtalk doesn't seem to work well at all for me as a matter of fact. (If it helps, I can add you but it says Not Authorized.)
  • So is GeekChat on for tonight?