This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What anime are you watching? v2.0

Comments

• We've been over this, Li is crazy.
  • Did the manga come first?? If not, why did you read it? Not too many manga based on an anime are good, are they?
    No, manga came after, as a direct shot-for-shot adaption. And I read the manga first, because that's my gig. I generally prefer manga over anime, I actually watch very few anime.
    That actually sounds great for me, but that's because I felt like nothing really happened for most of the show
    This goes too far toward the other end of the scale - they've tried to fit each episode into a chapter, and the chapters simply are not long enough to capture everything from the episodes.
  • edited October 2012
    I might add, when I say abrupt, I mean in the first panel of this battle, a witch is introduced as probably not being terribly dangerous, literally the next panel one of them is a greasy smear on the ground and some other chick shows up and saves the day.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Btw, has anyone read any of the spin-off mangas of Madoka? I really hasn't heard anything at all about them, beside rumors of another show or movie to be.
  • Trolling??
    Not a troll. I hated Madoka Majica with a passion.

Also, it's totally a comedy.

• Also, it's totally a comedy.

Explain? Not liking it I understand (well,I don't, but I won't object to it) but calling it a comedy a la Romeo and Juliet?

• Also, it's totally a comedy.

Explain? Not liking it I understand (well,I don't, but I won't object to it) but calling it a comedy a la Romeo and Juliet?
    The whole "me calling it a comedy" stems from the fact that I literally had to force myself to finish watching it, so I started looking at stuff that happens in the show in a different light.

So lets look at some things that happen in the show through how I saw it:
    1. The biggest joke in the show is Kyubei's goal: harvest the emotions of overly whiny teenagers as fuel. That's fucking hilarious. He's an evil alien oil tycoon! As soon as that revelation happened, I couldn't stop impinging him wearing a top hat and monocle, and sporting a Monopoly Man mustache.

2. The redhead girl eating everything in an overly dramatic fashion. I also found this hilarious in the Death Note anime, so why wouldn't it be funny here?

3. Episode 10. All of it. The show became Next and I reveled in the absurdity of it.

Ultimately, my feelings of the show were coloured from the start by the fact that it was sold to me as a super dark deconstruction of magical girl shows and that I was told to watch the first three episodes back to back to back. The only episode of the show I genuinely enjoyed was episode 3 when a magical girl got her FUCKING HEAD BITTEN OFF BY A MONSTER. I expected the rest of the show to be exactly like that: magical girls dying in increasingly horrifying and gruesome ways and that is not what I got at all. What I got was a main character who did nothing but whine for the rest of the show about how her best friend that she knew for all of a week died and how she wished that there was something she could do, EXCEPT THERE WAS SOMETHING TO DO. YOU HAVE A MAGICAL EVIL ALIEN OIL TYCOON THAT WILL GRANT YOU ANY WISH YOU WANT. YOU CAN USE IT TO WISH BACK YOUR FRIEND AND THEN YOU WILL ALSO ACHIEVE YOUR GOAL OF BEING A FUCKING MAGICAL GIRL AND THE SHOW CAN ACTUALLY MOVE ON AND THINGS CAN START HAPPENING. But no, she just sits there and whines for 8 more episodes until she makes the most bullshit, deus ex machina wish ever and the show ends with me feeling extremely let down and needing to find a way to justify the fact that I just watched an entire show that I really did not like in the slightest.

• Firstly, I laughed out loud at your post. Second, I understand points one and two (hell, I laughed at them my second time watching it) but explain point three.
  • What I got was a main character who did nothing but whine for the rest of the show about how her best friend that she knew for all of a week died
    They had tea in her house, it's a sacred contract of best friendship for ever.

• Firstly, I laughed out loud at your post. Second, I understand points one and two (hell, I laughed at them my second time watching it) but explain point three.
    Have you seen the Nicolas Cage masterpiece(?) Next?

• Wow, you really didn't get that show.

Her not deciding was the whole point. Remember the conversation she has with her mom before the end?

Also, the overall alien plot? Same as Bokurano. Both draw heavily from hard science fiction of the 70s.

Add in the score and style, and it's easily one of the better anime ever made, right up there with Cowboy Bebop, Eva, and Utena. It falls slightly short only for the fact that it's too recent and has not been forced to face the final test of any classic: the test of time.
  • edited October 2012
    Wow, you really didn't get that show.

Her not deciding was the whole point. Remember the conversation she has with her mom before the end?

Also, the overall alien plot? Same as Bokurano. Both draw heavily from hard science fiction of the 70s.

Add in the score and style, and it's easily one of the better anime ever made, right up there with Cowboy Bebop, Eva, and Utena. It falls slightly short only for the fact that it's too recent and has not been forced to face the final test of any classic: the test of time.
    No, I get the show. There isn't that much to get. I understand why Madoka made the wish that she did, but I still think it's stupid and a cop out. As for the music: meh. There was nothing that really jumped out at me that was great about it. As for the style: fuck the style. I hated the character designs. Seriously, why do all of the characters look like chameleons?

SEPARATED AT BIRTH?

Edit: Also, just to get this one out of the way: I also hate Evangelion.
    Edit Edit: Just as a note, I am going very over the top with my critique of this show for fun. If I offend anyone, I am sorry. Feel free to like what you like, I just really don't like this show.
    Post edited by Li_Akahi on
  • You shut your whore mouth and leave Ume Aoki out of this. :|
  • I don't see the chameleon comparison. Oh, and fuck you and your shitty tastes, I guess, but that's really beside the point.
  • edited October 2012
    I don't see the chameleon comparison. Oh, and fuck you and your shitty tastes, I guess, but that's really beside the point.
    It's the eyes. The eyes (or rather the space between them) bug me.

As for taste: meh. So I don't like Madoka. Big whoop. I still like plenty of great anime like Cowboy Bebop, Ghost in the Shell, Baccano, Durarara, and Princess Jellyfish.

I wanted to like Madoka, guys. I really did. The way people described it to me made it seem like something that is immensely up my alley, but it just didn't click with me in the slightest.

EDIT: Oh wait, there was something about Madoka I liked: the design of the witches and the worlds they inhabited. That was pretty freaking awesome.
    Post edited by Li_Akahi on
  • I guess I can see that, but the increase in the spacing seems proportional to the size of the eyes -- well, as proportional as things get in animation.

There's an entire segment of the fandom behind deciphering the meaning of the witches and their environment. It's a lot of fun.
  • I don't doubt it. Blue-haired girl's world had a lot of symbolism going around in it.
  • Seriously, why do all of the characters look like chameleons?
    Are you blind? That chameleon has a nose.

Also, all you forumites, for fuck's sake stop overhyping Madoka. You lot are basically cumming at the mention of it. It's as great as Bakemonogatari, and most you fucks haven't even watched that.
  • edited October 2012
    Bokurano was better but Madoka had some better visuals. I mean Bokurano I was sitting in Horror watching the whole time, Madoka, not as much.

\But Bokurano got me back into Anime, so it has a lot of bonus points.
    \\None hold a candle to Now and Then, Here and There.
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • My main problem with Bokurano the anime was the fact that it wasn't Bokurano Manga, which was lot better in my opinion.
  • It's funny because the creator has the exact opposite view :-p
  • \\None hold a candle to Now and Then, Here and There.
  • We've discussed that show. That's the one anime that my brain literally wiped out of the memory banks. IMHO, it's not particularly good and that's part of why it was so forgettable.
  • Oh, I guess I was totally wrong about Li_Akahi, eh? So much for spoiler tags!

There's a podcast for you. I mean it's made for you; It's called The Other Side. This is where I heard major objections to Madoka, from the historical references in the end, to the Faust allusions.

I really loved the show, I didn't see Next, and I guess you have to watch that to find episode 10 funny? Like a broken record, I thought that ep. 10 was the best of the series.

• We've discussed that show. That's the one anime that my brain literally wiped out of the memory banks. IMHO, it's not particularly good and that's part of why it was so forgettable.
    Which show? Bokurano? Now and Then, Here and There?
  • Seriously, why do all of the characters look like chameleons?
    Are you blind? That chameleon has a nose.

Also, all you forumites, for fuck's sake stop overhyping Madoka. You lot are basically cumming at the mention of it. It's as great as Bakemonogatari, and most you fucks haven't even watched that.
    I will remember this, in case you even drip one ounce of pre-cum over a show.

• Now and Then, Here and There?
  • I'm pretty sure you were just traumatized into forgetting about it because it was a masterpiece.
  • Note, I watched it a second time because I had brainwiped it and then developed my latter opinion.
  • I will remember this, in case you even drip one ounce of pre-cum over a show.
    Dude, I'm not the one prematurely ejaculating that Madoka's the greatest anime of all time.