This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What anime are you watching? v2.0

Comments

• Robotics; Notes had me at giant robot in the local highschool's garage.
  • I enjoy the literal reality of the Utena universe the most. The few episodes where you see anything outside of Ohtori really strike me.
    There are also big character moments on episodes where we see stuff outside of Ohtori (at least one episode comes to mind).

• Every time you see outside of the school, shit's going down. ;^)
  • Every time someone mentions eggs, that means they're hun-gray!
  • Robotics; Notes had me at giant robot in the local highschool's garage.
    There are many animes which you will enjoy.
  • My daughter's been watching Utena; she's almost done, but agreed to a re-watch with me as you guys do the vids(I haven't seen any eps). We've been enjoying Star Blazers and when done with the first season we're gonna watch the live action Yamato fansubbed... it looks purty good.
  • My daughter's been watching Utena; she's almost done, but agreed to a re-watch with me as you guys do the vids(I haven't seen any eps). We've been enjoying Star Blazers and when done with the first season we're gonna watch the live action Yamato fansubbed... it looks purty good.
    Better to watch original Japanese Yamato with subtitles than to watch Star Blazers.
  • I've started working on Cardcaptor Sakura, because I hadn't seen most of it and have a bad habit of watching old "iconic" anime instead of new, good ones (not to say that Cardcaptor Sakura is bad). It's actually surprisingly off-putting to see all the magical girl tropes being played totally straight after watching Madoka, Utena, and Princess Tutu.
  • CCS isn't bad, though. You could do a lot worse. I suggest Fancy LaLa since the real plot involves dinosaurs.
  • Just go for Sailor Moon instead. It's just as straight, but also quirky in the way old anime can be. It made some of the tropes.
  • I am watching Toradora. There is a storm coming, so I said, "why not?"
  • CCS is still quirky in some different ways; I also picked it because I haven't watched too much stuff originating from CLAMP's oeuvre, and wanted to fill in that gap.
  • edited October 2012
    I just finished a little show called Angel Beats, and here are my thoughts:

It was kinda Average to me. I do like the occasional emotional roller coaster, and this show provided a few good moments in that aspect, but most of it felt forced, especially towards the ending. Also, I couldn't empathize with any of the characters, since most of them seem to be just paper cuts of the typical anime archetypes (silent girl, yandere girl, helpful guy, the friend).
    The reveals of the show are kinda obvious, so when they said them, there are no surprises there. Also, it is important to mention that all the show is silly humor.
    Anyway, this may be a bit of a SPOILER but... my favorite parts were the ones were the characters told how they died (All that kinda reminded me to Valkyrie Profile).
    It's hard to look for shows with an emotional aspect in them without them being too "pink" for my liking...

In another subject, thanks Rym and Scott for the advice on Utena. I will try not to think too much on the symbolic meaning but try to think focus on why the "magical" and weird stuff is happening. It's easy to forget that is not normal, since this is an anime after all.
    Post edited by Dincu on
  • Who is the yandere in Angel Beats? Did not see such a character in it.

Recently rewatched it. It's decent, but yeah there is a ton of "paint by numbers" in it.
  • Sorry, got it wrong, I wanted to say Tsundere like the ninja girl.

Well, yes, it does have a lot of characters, and barely any of them get enough screen time to be truly developed.
    I really wanted to know the past of the Dancing guy, since he is one of my favorite characters.

Anyway, I don't say it was a bad show, else I wouldn't have finished it, but I didn't found it special either. Still, there are a few parts I liked, like the one that shows the past of the main character.
  • Don't really see a tsundere in the show either. I think the character archetype you are looking for is Kuudere. But yeah, that is definitely in there as a female character trope next to the genki girl, the pixy and the Rei Ayanami expy.
  • I was meaning in the sense of a cold personality, but then shows kinda of a girly cute side. In the case of the ninja girl, she is usually cold until she faces a stuffed animal of sorts. Anyway, I shouldn't have used the term, since it isn't necessarily my forte. But I think you get my point.
  • edited November 2012
    I was meaning in the sense of a cold personality, but then shows kinda of a girly cute side.
    You didn't actually click the link chaos posted, did you?
    Post edited by Not nine on
  • edited November 2012
    First Squad was cool but way, way underwhelming compared to it's absolutely bonkers awesome trailer, which honestly looks like it might have been for a completely different and much better movie.

And no walking panzers! Are you fucking kidding!
    Post edited by open_sketchbook on
  • edited November 2012
    I was meaning in the sense of a cold personality, but then shows kinda of a girly cute side.
    You didn't actually click the link chaos posted, did you?
    Apparently I didn't, and shame on me for that.
    And actually, I had never heard that term before... Good thing I don't consider myself an Otaku, else I would be crawling into a dark corner and hiding in shame.

Post edited by Dincu on
  • I've watched nothing (and haven't been able to watch anything) in 7 days. Today, it's time to correct that.
  • It's been so long since I watched Evangelion, I forgot how fucking draining this show is emotionally to watch.
  • Speaking of Evangelion, I think I've almost consumed all of official Evangelion works out there. I've yet to re-watch the original 21-24 episodes, read the manga, and other then waiting for the 3 and 4 rebuild movies, I've seen practically all of Evangelion.
  • I just re-read the manga recently, well up until the very last volume since it only just came out in the US officially. While it does elaborate on certain things a bit more and changes Shinji's persona a little, I still prefer the original series and new movies (so far).
  • edited November 2012
    I think Kensuke Aida is me. I was exactly him when I was 14.
  • edited November 2012
    Every time I watch Akira I am just utterly blown away by how absurdly amazing the film looks. It feels almost like this is an excessive amount of animation.
  • I've watched a dozen episodes of FMP and there are no signs of stopping now. Being home from college can be really boring.
  • Worked out all the non-sense around my Sailor Moon torrents. Today, I embark on an epic journey from which I may never return: watching all of Sailor Moon. Wish me luck, internet.
  • Godspeed, sir.