This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What anime are you watching? v2.0

Comments

• I tried to watch Shin Mazinger Z when it first came out, but I just couldn't handle the unbridled manliness. Now that I've cut my teeth on other Go Nagai things, Gao Gai Gar, etc., I appreciate it for the masterpiece it is.
  • I haven't really watched any anime this past year at all, so I decided last week to make it a point to go through the stuff I've had on my computer for years. So, watched all of Bakemonogatari, which was a fun little show. I really liked the visual style and the interactions between the two main characters, but everything outside of that was pretty meh. I really lost interest in the last third of the show, but it won me back a little on the last episode.

For the time being, I'm over halfway through Beck. I'm really sad it took me this long to get to this show cause I'm really enjoying it, minus the Engrish.
  • In addition to Sailor Moon, I'm now watching Boogiepop Phantom with my mom. Does this all add up to anything, or is it just a mood piece?
  • I just finished watching The Cat Returns for the first time. It is now amongst my least favorite Studio Ghibli films (the rest of which include Earthsea, Pom Poko, and Howl's Moving Castle) ever. The fact that it is a sort-of sequel to one of my favorite Ghibli films (Whisper of the Heart) and it just failed to deliver was deeply disappointing to me.
  • I'm re-watching Initial D to prepare for my Initial D lecture at Anime LA. Knowing what I know now about cars, THERE IS SO MUCH WRONG WITH THAT SHOW.
  • The creepiest thing about Initial D is all the females on that show look like men with longer hair.
  • Because everybody knows females are just men without a penis.
  • I watched the last of Sket Dance last week. Sorry to see it end but an enjoyable show.

As a joke (worst anime ever) I exposed my daughter and her friends to Hetalia: Axis Powers. One of her friends took a shine too it and it is now gaining popularity in her school... What have I done?
  • As a joke (worst anime ever) I exposed my daughter and her friends to Hetalia: Axis Powers. One of her friends took a shine too it and it is now gaining popularity in her school... What have I done?
    You've continued the plague. However, you couldn't have known, because Hetalia's appeal is in no way connected to its quality.

• I watched the last of Sket Dance last week. Sorry to see it end but an enjoyable show.

As a joke (worst anime ever) I exposed my daughter and her friends to Hetalia: Axis Powers. One of her friends took a shine too it and it is now gaining popularity in her school... What have I done?
    In the nicest way possible, I have to call you a fool. Who is Hetalia's biggest audience? Girls!
  • About the only show at this moment staying solid is Space Brothers. Watching Initial D but I can say that is not for everyone and of course re-watching Utena.

Also Uchuu Senkan Yamato 2199 is solid so far along with Jormungand: Perfect Order.

Jormungand surprised me a bit and has gotten better. I will have to wait to see how it ends to make a final judgement on it. Has the same feel as Black Lagoon did at this point.
  • Jormungand surprised me a bit and has gotten better. I will have to wait to see how it ends to make a final judgement on it. Has the same feel as Black Lagoon did at this point.
    I had the same reaction with the manga version.

• Why is there not more Shin Mazinger Z?! That ending! Methinks I'm gonna have to go watch the older versions.
  • Jormungand has the same feel as Black Lagoon, but that's where it ends. I think that the approaches to "bad people kinda do bad things" are different.
  • Why is there not more Shin Mazinger Z?! That ending! Methinks I'm gonna have to go watch the older versions.
    I know right, it was a pretty amazing ending. Made me remember at Giant Robo so much. But, then again it is from the same creator :D
  • Jormungand has the same feel as Black Lagoon, but that's where it ends. I think that the approaches to "bad people kinda do bad things" are different.
    Yeah, black lagoon is more of a "Bad people doing bad things, but not unnecessary bad things". Jormungand is more "Bad people do bad things, protect their own, and have some plans on the horizon that haven't panned out yet."

It'll get clearer later, I guess, it's more of a slow-burn than Black Lagoon, where that part was clear pretty much immediately.
  • edited December 2012
    What have I done?
    Shown a show to the targeted audience. It's like your daughter 'jokingly' introducing you to your favourite show.
    Post edited by Not nine on
  • I started Boogiepop Phantom last weekend. I like the concept overall, and the audio design is interesting, but I keep getting hung up on the phantom's design. I swear I went clubbing with that guy in the late 80s.
  • edited December 2012
    Calling it now - best anime of winter 2012:

Turn on closed captions for English subs.
    Post edited by Eryn on
  • Johnny Blaze is on the phone to his lawyer RIGHT. NOW.
  • So I just finished watching Beck last night. Those last few minutes of the last episode, seeing the photos of the Jimi Hendrix statue on Broadway and the old Crocodile in Seattle gave me all the feels. It was funny seeing the photo of Seattle with the Kingdome still there, since it was destroyed four years before the anime aired.
  • You should pick up the manga from where the anime ends. You won't be disappoint if you liked the anime, as long as you go into it knowing that the series went on hiatus a while ago and has no ending.
  • edited December 2012
    My main beef with the Beck manga is that I kinda liked the anime's music and the manga's got no more of that.
    Post edited by Ruffas on
  • I'm pretty content with where the anime ended, but if the manga is easy to torrent then I will probably read it. I agree with Ruffas though. Not having the music (as bad as the Engrish is) will make it less enjoyable no matter how good it is.
  • That's what imagination is for.
  • And listening to rockin tunes while you read.
  • Finished Madoka a bit ago. I haven't cried over an anime like that in a looooong time...
  • Realized I never watched Char's Counterattack, so I watched it yesterday.

It's way better than Gundam F91, that's for certain, but it still has issues. The biggest issue is that it assumes you already know all the Gundam Lore. If you don't already know the Gundam UC story that comes before, no point in watching this. I know a lot of it, and there were still things that I had to figure out or guess.
  • I'm watching Utena, two episodes at a time.
  • I'm re-watching Utena along with the GeekNights commentary videos.