This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What anime are you watching? v2.0

Comments

• Show him the tv series first.
  • edited January 2013
    Only one way to solve this Dilemma. Here's what you watch.

Kitchen Nightmares
    Plot:Gordon Ramsay travels the world and swears at things and the people that own them. Cooks occasionally.

Pros:Gordon Ramsey doing what he does best - swearing at things.

Cons:Might accidentally start watching the less-excellent american series.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Alternate answer: don't show them Eva. Show them something else entirely.

/person who just couldn't get into Evangelion
  • Show them the show. We don't know that the new movies will be good all the way through yet.
  • (BBC Kitchen Nightmares over any American series Ramsay has done)

If this person doesn't have any problem with older shows, go with the anime over the films.
  • You're a very "interesting" fellow, full of semantics, and you set up rules that no one agreed to, nor were ever even aware were set down. Sorry to put things in quotation marks, because you take them so ridiculously literally.

I don't give this much of a damn about Girls und Panzer, SAO, Accel World, what you or I like, to go on with this conversation continuously. I guess this all could've been avoided if you said "mind your business" because you felt all along that in a public forum, no one should ever speak unless spoken to, and that person should only discuss what was said to them, and nothing else.

You win the internet. I'm done with you. I will never respond to you again, even if you address me, and that starts now.
    You're a condescending fucking asshole of an idiot. You still fail to understand a single fucking thing told to you. I don't mind you join a discussion. I mind you don't fucking support your bullshit at any point. How the fuck can you still not understand that for fuck's sake. This is a fucking forum, we discuss shit here. Discussing involves fucking supporting your argument you retard. Even after half a dozen posts you still don't fucking seem to understand this.
  • Watched the most recent One Piece episode on Hulu. Don't ask me why; One Piece just feels to me like it should be watched on Sunday.

I love the humor of One Piece. It's silly, it's slapstick, but I always laugh and have fun with it. It's recurring gags, too, but I guess OP just has the right formula concocted.
  • Watching Madoka for what I think is the third time with someone who hasn't seen it before.
    One thing I hadn't noticed previously:
    There are a bunch of quick shots to Homura's face over the first three episodes where half her face is shrouded in shadow and she's grimacing. I guess they make her seem "dark" for a first-time watcher, but now it's super-obvious that she's just barely holding back tears.
  • Man, why did no one tell me that the Lychee Light Club shorts that came out last season were actually kind of good? I heard basically zero things about this show and forgot it had even been announced until I found it randomly on Crunchyroll.

I haven't read the actual manga (which I understand is horror, not comedy), but even without knowing anything about it, I got the gist very quickly. The humour isn't super laugh-out-loud funny, but it's chuckle-worthy enough for two-and-a-half minutes. If the episodes ran much longer, it probably wouldn't work; as it is, that's about perfect. And worst case scenario if it turns out to not be your bag, you didn't waste that much time trying it out.

Now I definitely want to read the actual manga. Here's hoping our distributor can get it in for us.
  • Because they aren't really that good, at least not to my eyes and ears. I watched a lot of them, and I was expecting something totally different, because of what I read about the premise for the manga.

I can't act like my hands were crossed the whole time and I had a scowl on my face the whole time, but there are better shows out that are about that long.

I'm going to go as far as to say that gdgd Fairies is funnier.
  • Maoyuu Maou Yuusha is interesting so-far. I could do without the love story, but I like the general concept.
  • Fair enough. The humour style hit with me more than it hit with you, I guess. 's cool. Maybe it helped that I didn't know what to expect going in; I might have been more disappointed if I had read the manga before maybe.
  • Next up on the list of anime-I've-had-on-my-computer-for-too-many-years is Black Lagoon. Ten episodes in, I'm enjoying it, but I'm not quite getting why everyone went apeshit over it back when it came out. It just doesn't seem all that unique. Maybe things will change soon.
  • Next up on the list of anime-I've-had-on-my-computer-for-too-many-years is Black Lagoon. Ten episodes in, I'm enjoying it, but I'm not quite getting why everyone went apeshit over it back when it came out. It just doesn't seem all that unique. Maybe things will change soon.
    Because back then, in 2002 when the manga first came out, it kinda was. It was in anime, too, when it first aired in 2006.

• If it's not hitting you 10 episodes in, it's not going to work. If a boat jumping into an aircraft doesn't give you a tingle, then it's been overhyped for you.

I love Black Lagoon. It's in my all-time faves.
  • If it's not hitting you 10 episodes in, it's not going to work. If a boat jumping into an aircraft doesn't give you a tingle, then it's been overhyped for you.
    It probably has been overhyped for me since it came out. It also probably doesn't help that I literally just finished playing Saints Row The Third, so my scale for ridiculousness is very skewed right now.

I think my main issue with the show is that, so far, with the exception of Rock, every character in the show is painfully one-dimensional, even though the show is trying to tell you they aren't. I suspect that will change, particularly for Revy, but that's the one thing that makes me not care much.
  • Wait till you get Hansel and Gretel. Then you start to see more stuff that gives it flair.
  • I think that there are underdeveloped characters, characters that we don't see or learn much of, but I think you've learned a fair amount about Revy, as well as Rock. Revy's the poster girl for the show, but it's really Rock's story, so he gets the most development. I also think that you'll learn more about Balalaika.
  • Balalaika is pure awesome, at no point is she not one of the best charters going.
    Because back then, in 2002 when the manga first came out, it kinda was. It was in anime, too, when it first aired in 2006.

I cant but agree fully.

I kind of think that a lot of people are missing that when watching legendary things. Often they where the first to do something which, by the point you are watching it has been copied and refined (or messed up) many times since.

I'm actually just watching the show as well, and it kind of making me remember why I love this sort of anime. But perhaps I am old, and just nostalgic.
  • I am watching Kotoura-san, along side with Space Brothers, Saint Seiya Omega, and AKN0048 second season.
    I gotta say so many feels during and after the first episode of Kotoura-san.
    Which, I was not expecting after this opening.
  • Wow, that is the most generic anime opener there has ever been.
  • It certainly is a thing that comes before an anime episode.
  • edited January 2013
    I will elaborate; I first watched the opening itself on youtube and I thought "Well, I guess I can just turn off my brain while I eat". So I went and I watched the whole episode on Chrunchyroll. The opening does not appear until after what it felt the first 5-7 minutes of the first episode,
    by that time the heart of the audience has already being pulled apart from our body, and kicked so hard that only the mythical Phoenix could revive it.
    Post edited by Erwin on
  • Half way through season one of Sailor Moon, I've noticed that there are two blonde characters: Usagi and Jaidiite. Normally, this wouldn't get my attention, but since the Japanese are so well known for their fair colored hair, I started looking for any other characters with this trait -- even extras. I haven't seen any so far. I figure this must mean something, but I can't figure out what. I'll continue this and post any further developments.
  • Half way through season one of Sailor Moon, I've noticed that there are two blonde characters: Usagi and Jaidiite. Normally, this wouldn't get my attention, but since the Japanese are so well known for their fair colored hair, I started looking for any other characters with this trait -- even extras. I haven't seen any so far. I figure this must mean something, but I can't figure out what. I'll continue this and post any further developments.
    It means they use hair color to help distinguish between different characters. :P
  • In shows that use "realistic" hair colors, being blonde often indicates being foreign and/or being rich. In Sailor Moon, it really just serves as a method of distinguishing characters that all use the same face.

I'm watching BTOOOM! for some reason - I've just been in a mood for explosion-y shows lately. It actually does characters being reasonable and intelligent fairly well, although it has a lot of nerd-wet-dream moments where being good at something on the internet makes you good at real life. Overall, it's nothing too special. Also, every damned episode is a cliffhanger.
  • Well, Minako also has blonde hair. Yaten has white hair. Chibi-Usa has pink hair.
  • In shows that use "realistic" hair colors, being blonde often indicates being foreign and/or being rich. In Sailor Moon, it really just serves as a method of distinguishing characters that all use the same face.

I'm watching BTOOOM! for some reason - I've just been in a mood for explosion-y shows lately. It actually does characters being reasonable and intelligent fairly well, although it has a lot of nerd-wet-dream moments where being good at something on the internet makes you good at real life. Overall, it's nothing too special. Also, every damned episode is a cliffhanger.
    That fat, rapey guy wasn't too reasonable.
  • In shows that use "realistic" hair colors, being blonde often indicates being foreign and/or being rich.
    Or of course, the classic Clearly-Japanese-but-with-blonde-hair thing being used as a big flashing sign saying "DELINQUENT!"

I'm not sure how common it is in Japanese culture outside of Pop culture, but it's at least common enough that there are works that intentionally subvert the trope - For example, in kids on the slope, one of the characters is assumed to be a fearsome delinquent, because he's tall and blonde, when he's actually just a pretty nice guy, and his blonde hair is natural, not dyed.