This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What anime are you watching? v2.0

Comments

• Just finished Eureka Seven AO. The more time passes the more the ending annoys me, I really liked the original, and the sequel started great, but then it fell apart, probably because they fired the original writer halfway on.

Anyone know of a good romance anime which is not riddled with social dramatic bullshit? 8D
  • God, the Nichijou soundtrack is just so great.

• edited April 2013
    Finished up Magi: The Labyrinth of Magic tonight. It uses various characters from the Arabian Nights stories and put it's own spin on it. Aladdin and Ali Baba are the main focus of the series with Morgiana later coming onto the scene. Overall it was fun shonen series. The world is seeped in magic so there is a lot of magic battles but the most enjoyable fight scenes I felt were with Morgiana who uses her superhuman strength to lay the smack down.

Post edited by Josh Bytes on
  • Watching Maoyu. It's unique, and I would actually put it at a B+ if not for the ridiculous romance sideplot and all the times it's made me go "JAPAAAAAN!"
    But seriously, it's an anime where the Hero and the Big Bad of a JRPG team up to subvert and dismantle a medieval fantasy military-industrial complex. I kid you not, at one point the Demon King's secret weapon is the potato. And that's enough for me.
  • gdgd Fairies is just so much fun.
  • And, being as I'm an anime hipster, I am now starting on Legend of the Galactic Heroes. This should be an interesting month.
  • And, being as I'm an anime hipster, I am now starting on Legend of the Galactic Heroes. This should be an interesting month.
    Still saving it for retirement.
  • I love that I'm one of the biggest pushers of LOTGH and I have yet to finish it...
  • Finished the first season of gdgd Fairies. The ending really tugged at my heart strings.
  • gdgd Fairies and Polar Bear Cafe are both over. I thoroughly enjoyed them both.

I still have an episode or two left of AKB0048, but "next stage" has never engaged me like the first season did. Too much emo, not enough mythology or explosions.
  • I just started Shin Sekai Yori. WHAT TOOK ME SO LONG?! Ahhhh first episode, amazing! Has a great feel, the art is very appealing, and the world is just so intriguing!
  • Don't forget my name, Aiyakiu! ;)

I finally watched Straight Title Robot Anime. Lightning does not strike twice! GdGd Fairies is much better fodder for laughs.
  • Legend of the Galactic Heroes is hitting pretty much all of my buttons. It's a slow but introspective space opera worthy of the title, as it has relatively complex capital ship combat and very complex politics. And pretty much all of the characters are awesome.
  • I've heard Crest of the Stars is another good space opera anime as well. Anybody watch that one?
  • I've heard Crest of the Stars is another good space opera anime as well. Anybody watch that one?
    It's a series. It's followed by Banner of the Stars 1,2,3
  • edited April 2013
    Finished Little Busters. Up until they announced the second season at the end of the episode, I felt like the series wrapped up fairly weak. But hey, it's not supposed to be the end anyway.
    I'm on episode five of Shin Sekai Yori. This has to be one of the most intriguing anime I've seen in a while.
    Anyone want to suggest something else amazing? I have a feeling I'm going to blow through this one pretty quickly.

Episode 5 is tripping me out. The art style got a bit sloppy and it's difficult to follow. Weird.
    Post edited by Aiyakiu on
  • Just finished AKB0048 Next Stage. I hope we get another season.
  • Watch The Sky Crawlers with my girlfriend last night. I don't know what to make of it. It was good don't get me wrong, I just feel that I need to re-watch it in a couple of months to see if I understand it better.

I also started to watch Love Live because Im a terrible person.
  • edited April 2013
    Finished Little Busters. Up until they announced the second season at the end of the episode, I felt like the series wrapped up fairly weak. But hey, it's not supposed to be the end anyway.
    I'm on episode five of Shin Sekai Yori. This has to be one of the most intriguing anime I've seen in a while.
    Anyone want to suggest something else amazing? I have a feeling I'm going to blow through this one pretty quickly.

Episode 5 is tripping me out. The art style got a bit sloppy and it's difficult to follow. Weird.
    I would suggest something, but I think good recent anime have all pretty much been mentioned. The winter season was a bust, so in a week or two I hope there's more to crow about.

Post edited by VichusSmith on
  • Was curious about Otona joshi. I only watched some of episode 1. It's about a woman who falls in love with her garbage man and leaves her husband for him. She loves to cook. I got bored so stopped watching after that. Animation is mix of real life shots especially during the cooking scenes.
  • edited April 2013
    With the combination of the recommendations in this thread and a few online orders, some appreciation is in order.

I thoroughly enjoyed Time Of Eve. Thanks all!
    Polar Bear Cafe is fun.
    The remake of Yamato seems OK thus far.
    Mardock_Scramble... Undecided.

1 episode into Space Brothers - Not working for me.
    1 episode into Nichijou - Not working for me.
    1 episode into FLCL- Not working for me.

Is it worth persevering with any of these last three?
    At the moment they are sitting squarely in the 'meh' pile.
    Post edited by Casa Vino on
  • FLCL is great! There is a story hidden under the insanity, and it's also a coming of age/hitting puberty show. Ultimately I watch it maybe once a year. I suggest getting through the six episodes - if you don't like it, fine, but at least you can say you watched it.
    I might try Magi, was it decent?
  • I would recommend finishing up FLCL its only 6 episodes. And just watching episode 1 is like watching the beginning of a film and stopping at just the beginning.
  • With the combination of the recommendations in this thread and a few online orders, some appreciation is in order.

I thoroughly enjoyed Time Of Eve. Thanks all!
    Polar Bear Cafe is fun.
    The remake of Yamato seems OK thus far.
    Mardock_Scramble... Undecided.

1 episode into Space Brothers - Not working for me.
    1 episode into Nichijou - Not working for me.
    1 episode into FLCL- Not working for me.

Is it worth persevering with any of these last three?
    At the moment they are sitting squarely in the 'meh' pile.
    I like all 3, but considering that all of them are comedies, then what can I tell you? That's your sense of humor. If I really could root for any, it's Space Bros. It has the widest appeal, I would think, to audiences. It's not an over-the-top style of comedy, it's realistic drama, it has heart. Really, I think it has so much going for it.

Nichijou and FLCL are a hyperactive style of comedy that wont appeal to everyone.
  • FLCL is such a cultural staple and so short that its worth watching the rest even if you don't like it.
  • edited April 2013
    Wait, Space Brothers was a comedy? I tried watching it, was really bored, and couldn't take any more.
    Post edited by Anthony Heman on
  • Wait, Space Brothers was a comedy? I tried watching it, was really bored, and couldn't take any more.
    Yeah, I'm going to not comment on any of this statement. Best of luck in your further anime endeavors.

• FLCL is such a cultural staple and so short that its worth watching the rest even if you don't like it.
    At least watch Episode 2: Firestarter before you quit. That was my favorite episode and remains to this day.

• It's an oav series pronounced Fooly Cooly. Created by Gainax studios. Cartoon network used to show it on their Adult Swim block.