This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What anime are you watching? v2.0

Comments

• But they have the exact same hair... is it alternative universe K-On? Is there literally no connection with K-On outside of meta?
    There's no connection with K-On at all other than on the production staff- that's just what happens when Kyoto Animation makes a series about school-age moeblobs.
  • AmpAmp
    edited March 2013
    Whelp got to the end of Madoka Magica. Yep dem feels dem feels. Going to watch Girls und Panzer or some shit, can't take it any more man.
    Post edited by Amp on
  • But they have the exact same hair... is it alternative universe K-On? Is there literally no connection with K-On outside of meta?
    0 connection. There is no in-universe connection. They're just made by the same studio with the same director and the moeblob designs that made K-On so ridiculously profitable.
  • edited March 2013
    But they have the exact same hair... is it alternative universe K-On? Is there literally no connection with K-On outside of meta?
    0 connection. There is no in-universe connection. They're just made by the same studio with the same director and the moeblob designs that made K-On so ridiculously profitable.
    I haven't actually watched K-On yet but I thought the art style -- at least, from the sample I've seen in screenshots/box art -- is appealing.
    Is there some chibi tangents or something that I'm missing?

Post edited by Aiyakiu on
    I haven't actually watched K-On yet but I thought the art style -- at least, from the sample I've seen in screenshots/box art -- is appealing.

K-On is like Lucky Star/AzuDa but with baby teeth and less individuality. It has the disguise of a story of girls who want to be musician, but it is really just a high school fantasy (like that other anime this season)
  • So instead of watching K-on, I watched 3 eps of From the New World, and hope to catch up tomorrow with 4 eps. Just love that show, and it's come to an end. At least I'll have lots of Space Brothers to dig into.
  • I watched 3 eps of From the New World, and hope to catch up tomorrow with 4 eps.
    Uh... there's more than 7 episodes aired already.

As for me, I'm in the middle of watching Wolf Children (that took waaaay too fucking long), then my immersion was fucking RUINED.
    WHAT THE FUCK JAPAN. WHAT THE MOTHERFUCKING FUCK FUCK, SHIT. Now what do I do, huh? Faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawk.
  • edited March 2013
    I picked up Serial Experiments: Lain on bluray. Does this one hold up well seeing as how it is from 98?
    Post edited by HMTKSteve on
  • I picked up Serial Experiments: Lain on bluray. Does this one hold up well seeing as how it is from 98?
    Let us know. I've been thinking about rewatching that one.
  • I want to finish Ergo Proxy this year.
  • edited March 2013
    I picked up Serial Experiments: Lain on bluray. Does this one hold up well seeing as how it is from 98?
    Let us know. I've been thinking about rewatching that one.
    I noticed it on my self one day and thought about rewatching it too. It's the only anime series I have in physical form.

Post edited by Apsup on
  • I picked up Serial Experiments: Lain on bluray. Does this one hold up well seeing as how it is from 98?
    I re-watched it recently (on DVD). The animation quality doesn't hold up well, but given the subject matter I don't think it really has to. The philosophical observations aren't any less true than they were in 1998, but they've now been said much more frequently by many more people.

• So far I have only watched the first episode and it left me feeling like I didn't know what I just watched. May take a few episodes before I get the groove down.
  • edited March 2013
    Probably. Have you seen it at all before? Kinda weird to ask if it'll hold up 1) after buying it, and 2) without having seen it first. But that might just be me. Also, you should be slapped for a capitalizing your italics tag, fo' reals. And whomever put that colon in Serial Experiments Lain.
    I want to finish Ergo Proxy this year.
    Make it book club episode and I'll have some more reasons to watch it. Fuck sticking to just books, it's not the only thing you should review and discuss.
    So far I have only watched the first episode and it left me feeling like I didn't know what I just watched.
    On the one hand that's because you don't know. On the other hand, it only gets weirder from here on out.
    Post edited by Not nine on
  • So far I have only watched the first episode and it left me feeling like I didn't know what I just watched. May take a few episodes before I get the groove down.
    Nope, it just dives deeper in the weird if my memory serves me right.

I watched Boogiepop Phantom recently for the first time. Still not sure what I watched. I'll probably watch the movie.

K-On is like Lucky Star/AzuDa but with baby teeth and less individuality. It has the disguise of a story of girls who want to be musician, but it is really just a high school fantasy (like that other anime this season)
    *loved Lucky Star* Should I, possibly, be shamefaced?
    Oh well, I love it anyway. Screw everybody else who tells me to do otherwise.

• edited March 2013
    I think that besides seeing old tech, Lain still holds up. Fucking Dad creepily staring at the computer is always awesome.

Remember when I said that I watched 3 eps of From the New World? That was episodes 18-20. Now if I said the first 3 episodes, and 4 episodes would pretty much catch me up, that would be weird, because all of the episodes are available on Crunchyroll.
    Post edited by VichusSmith on
  • This week's "What Took You So Long" choice was Paranoia Agent, which I pounded through today. I don't know why I waited so long, since I already love everything else he's done.

I also watched the first Galaxy Express 999 movie. S'good.
  • edited March 2013
    I also just watched the first 4 episodes of Higurashi no Naku Koro ni. I fell in love with the manga a little over two years ago, and bought the show as a result. Unfortunately, my interest in it fell apart by the 7th volume of the books, and as a result I never actually tried the show. The first 4 episodes cover the first 'arc' (first two volumes in the manga) and it was... well, it could've been done better. The whole thing feels a lot less scary when something that isn't my own brain is deciding the pacing. Chiaki Kon is also doing a pretty bad job at directing it. Lots of weird dutch angels and "BUM BUM BUM"s. There were a couple moments that made me smile, but they were too few and far between. I don't think I've ever seen anything else she's worked on, and at this point I really don't care to.
    I don't know. Maybe I'll try the second arc to see if the show ever finds it's legs. Maybe I won't. Who knows? I'll probably just re-read the volumes of the manga that I have, because those first few volumes are still really good.
    Post edited by P_TOG on
  • Part 2:

Okay, so since I ended up not liking When They Cry, I thought I'd just sell it. Apparently it went out of print a while ago and is going for $100 minimum on eBay?? I doubt anybody is actually buying it for that price, but I might as well give it a shot!
  • Remember when I said that I watched 3 eps of From the New World? That was episodes 18-20. Now if I said the first 3 episodes, and 4 episodes would pretty much catch me up, that would be weird, because all of the episodes are available on Crunchyroll.
    Good luck watching the first 17 episodes.
  • Part 2:

Okay, so since I ended up not liking When They Cry, I thought I'd just sell it. Apparently it went out of print a while ago and is going for $100 minimum on eBay??
    I picked up Wolf's Rain in my misguided youth many years ago. I recently found it packed away in a box of DVD's in storage. Wanting to get rid of it, I looked it up on Amazon trade-in. I then sold Wolf's Rain V7 to Amazon trade-in for $78 a few weeks back. At the time, only 3 marketplace sellers had the dvd listed at $249.99 for collectors or some such craziness. I suspect Amazon calculates trade-in price using an algorithm based on the price it's being sold for.

tl;dr Anime dvds can unexpectedly be worth a decent amount of monies.
  • This is why I'm not letting my Evangelion Platinum out of my house ever. In related news, what's going to happen to the American distribution rights for Bebop now that Bandai's gone under? That's another one we've got on lockdown.
  • I started The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, and I thought I'd try watching it in the order it aired instead of chronological. I'm 9 episodes in, and I just realized I was reading the chart wrong. ;_;
  • Watch out, season two is very repetitive.
  • edited March 2013
    Airing order is best/most fun. I only watched season 1 though.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • This new order I accidentally made is totally fine, I just wish I could've experienced it for the first time in the way I wanted to. Oh well, I've committed, so I guess I should just finish it in the order I was doing it!

Hearing about the first 8 episodes of the second season is one of the main reasons I started watching this, anyway. I'm sort of excited to see them even though it'll be the same thing over and over again!
  • Watch out, season two is very repetitive.
    I see what you did there.
  • I made it through Endless Eight. Then, when I was through, I didn't even continue. Endless Eight was exhausting, and I went into it a lot more optimistic.