This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What anime are you watching? v2.0

Comments

• I finished Shin Sekai Yori. Oh, the feels during the last episode. Kiroumaru is probably my favorite character in the series. And, oddly, Squera, because he's just so polarizing. Ahhhhh, done so well!
    Damn, now I need to find something else. I hope I can find something as interesting.
  • I actually did not predict the final choreographed from the beginning plot twist.
  • I predicted some things, but the most impressive antagonist... The way to defeat it, I did not see coming, and I am ashamed of myself.
  • I saw how to defeat it almost immediately. I did not predict that queer rats would be so queer.
  • edited April 2013
    I think it was a lot of peoples first anime. When people talk about it, they certain give of that kind of vibe.
    EDIT: Fuck, second page Was talking about FLCL.
    Post edited by Greg on
  • edited April 2013
    Is a 6 episode series really a chore? You could watch it in-between whatever other series you're watching. I think it's the shortest anime series I've watched before we had all these 3 minute series.

Oh, and I'm not watching anything new. Just catching up with Archer season 3. Almost done with that. Gotta dig into the spring season.
    Post edited by VichusSmith on
  • I saw how to defeat it almost immediately. I did not predict that queer rats would be so queer.
    Did you also predict the true nature of the child? I'm being vague (hopefully) in case people don't want to hear every detail. I talked with someone who was not as wowed with the series, and they felt like they saw the child for who she was before it was revealed.

I wasn't looking for anything, and I wasn't expecting any reveal, so I wasn't looking for clues.

I loved Squera, BTW. Who would've known the monster rats would figure so much into the story. I thought early in the show that I would be seeing mostly a human conflict.

• Did you also predict the true nature of the child? I'm being vague (hopefully) in case people don't want to hear every detail. I talked with someone who was not as wowed with the series, and they felt like they saw the child for who she was before it was revealed.

I wasn't looking for anything, and I wasn't expecting any reveal, so I wasn't looking for clues.

I loved Squera, BTW. Who would've known the monster rats would figure so much into the story. I thought early in the show that I would be seeing mostly a human conflict.

I don't think the child's background was necessarily supposed to be an "oh my god" factor. As soon as I saw that particular person, I thought I was looking at a different protagonist at first (it's obvious who I mistook the child for). Once they confirmed it was a child, though, then I figured that out. And I saw what Squera's plan was. They keep you pretty busy during conflict moments so you are properly horrified when there is a reveal, even if the reveal isn't surprising -- and I don't think surprise was necessarily the goal. I just remember, also, the major hint they passed early on the side.

The show takes you on a proper journey and evolves your feelings and attitudes throughout. I luff.
  • I guessed the child immediately, and put two and two together with the way the war was resolved. I had "solved" the war well before the protagonists had. What fooled me till the reveal was the tie between comments in the first couple episodes and everything that followed.

And yeah... Kiromaru is definitely my kind of guy. We would have got on splendidly.

• Did you also predict the true nature of the child? I'm being vague (hopefully) in case people don't want to hear every detail. I talked with someone who was not as wowed with the series, and they felt like they saw the child for who she was before it was revealed.

I don't think the child's background was necessarily supposed to be an "oh my god" factor. As soon as I saw that particular person, I thought I was looking at a different protagonist at first (it's obvious who I mistook the child for). Once they confirmed it was a child, though, then I figured that out. And I saw what Squera's plan was. They keep you pretty busy during conflict moments so you are properly horrified when there is a reveal, even if the reveal isn't surprising -- and I don't think surprise was necessarily the goal. I just remember, also, the major hint they passed early on the side.

The show takes you on a proper journey and evolves your feelings and attitudes throughout. I luff.
    Yeah, at first I thought the child was another character.

• Okay, I have to ask though, what is up with all of these three, four minute long anime?! When did this become a thing?
  • Okay, I have to ask though, what is up with all of these three, four minute long anime?! When did this become a thing?
    A long-ass time ago. We even did a panel, bit-sized anime.

Have some Risky Safety!

I'm just going to wildly speculate, but maybe it's good for mobile users? The 3 minute restriction is not really a positive as far as getting off jokes or storytelling is concerned.

Oh, I have watched anime, but I had forgotten to mention them. Senyu works in the 3 minute episode limit pretty well. It's probably the best of these new short shows.

• Attack on Titan episode one is out. Giant naked human without lips and skin, running amok eating people versus wire-fu combat soldiers. Concept sounds great on paper. Execution on the first episode was kind of meh. I wish the story focus wasn't on the kids but instead more about the soldiers and guards. Also titans are to dam slow and should be more menacing.
  • Oh, is this the series based on the manga where they live in a walled city surrounded by giants?
  • edited April 2013
    Gah sorry for the double post.
    Post edited by Josh Bytes on
  • I am probably late to the party on this one but GIRLS UND PANZERS! I want to cosplay a tank. Also Space Brothers which so far hasn't hit me with any cliches ... and it has a pug.
  • Marathoned season 1 of Girls Und Panzers yesterday with Constantine. It was quite enjoyable, though I suspect I would've enjoyed it more had I his extensive knowledge of tanks. I hope it gets a second season.

I'm still meh on season 2 of AKB0048. If there's a season 3, I hope we can delve deeper into the mythology and have way more battles. I finished season 2 this week and it isn't doing much for me lately.

Today I'm watching as much of Ground Defense Force Mao-Chan as I can take in one sitting.

FLCL is a fantastic show, in both senses of the word. I'd say watch it all the way through; it's not much more than 6 hours total.

I re-watched Castle in the Sky this week, needing to track down the moment a certain phrase is uttered (I had mis-remembered it as "Every pirate loves his mom," but it's actually "All good pirates listen to their mom."). That film is as boring as I'd remembered, but I do love the pirate mom, and the animation is of course standard lovely Miyazaki.
  • GeoGeo
    edited April 2013
    For my panel, I watched the last part of Twilight Q, which are a pair of OAVs (at 30 mins. each) made in the late '80s.

The most notable thing about it is that Mamoru Oshii directed last OAV, which is the only one I watched. Said OAV is a very standard issue Mamoru Oshii work (e.g. first person narration, slow paced storytelling, abstract/symbolic imagery, etc). Other than being the only Oshii work where he tackles the genre of a more traditional detective story, there is nothing especially noteworthy about it.

Despite the fact that there were a lot of interesting ideas going on in the OAV, I don't think Oshii's style is conducive to anything shorter than an hour. If you feel the need to watch all of Oshii's work, give it a look, other than that you're better off not paying it any mind.
    Post edited by Geo on
  • GeoGeo
    edited April 2013
    I've been on an Osamu Dezaki bender tonight and I watched two episodes each from two different shows he worked on.

The first was from a 26 episode adaptation of Treasure Island and it was very good. It made the story a lot more exciting than the source text itself is. I found the aforementioned to be quite dry and the occurrence exciting adventure scenes to be few and far between. Something exciting is always happening in this. Also, like in almost any anime, they decided to give Jim Hawkins a leopard cub as his sidekick which I find to be randomly awesome. I think Scott in particular would get a kick out of the show because it has exciting pirate action. I'll continue watching this.

The other one I watched was Nobody's Boy Remi. I've heard from everyone that it is one of the saddest and most depressing anime series ever made. That is completely true. It is really difficult to watch this show because so many sad and depressingly realistic things are contained in one episode. At the same time, visually, it looks absolutely gorgeous and is a feast for the eyes. All else aside, it is a fantastic show that is very well plotted and moves at a great pace. I'm going to have to space watching episodes of this stuff because it is so painful to watch a bunch in a row.
    Post edited by Geo on
  • If you think Nobody's Boy Remi is sad then try checking Candy Candy

Or Marco, Marco is super sad too.
  • What should I be watching right now? I just realized I don't have a series this season. Not even one...
  • Gargantia is really fun. Two episodes in and the Urobutcher is setting the stage for something magnificent.
  • Have you tried any of this season's anime yet? I second Gargantia. After the first episode, I'm into it. This is weird to recommend but I think Flowers of Evil is worth taking a peek at, at least. I think the rotoscope is going to push people away.

• Have you tried any of this season's anime yet? I second Gargantia. After the first episode, I'm into it. This is weird to recommend but I think Flowers of Evil is worth taking a peek at, at least. I think the rotoscope is going to push people away.
    Ditto.
    Shingeki no Kyojin seems to be this season's "it" show.
  • edited April 2013
    Hoooollly shit Flowers of Evil is so good. Any show that makes me want to pull up Wikipedia articles on Baudelaire, the symbolist movement, modernism, and perversion probably has a lot going for it.

Don't let the fact that it's rotoscoped throw you off. The technique really contributes to the atmosphere. Everything feels slowed down and crisp enough that every little movement, flicker of an eye, chewing of a lip, etc. is something you can just got lost in. It also adds a layer of non-realism to something that otherwise probably could have been done as a live action J-Drama. Considering the invocation of symbolist art, I think that's a very clever choice.

EDIT: Almost forgot to say, but I'm also re-starting on Penguindrum now that the Blu-rays are both out and I can watch it uninterrupted on a big screen. Predictably, as a superfan of Utena and a film major, I am digging the hell out of it. I'm up to episode 5 and can't wait to get into more today after I've checked out a few more of the spring season's offerings.
    Post edited by Eryn on
  • Clash of Titan. Oh my god. It's horrifying and creepy and I was so into the show midway through the first episode. I wholeheartedly suggest it.
    I couldn't sit through Flowers of Evil for more than 15 seconds due to the animation style grating on me, but maybe I should give it a second chance.
  • edited April 2013
    The Titans are just giant naked people that eat humans. Maybe I'm just jaded but I need something more in my giant monster entertainment.
    Post edited by Josh Bytes on
  • Just giant naked people would freak me out. They don't even have to be eating anyone.