This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What anime are you watching? v2.0

Comments

• Me and JTVH have started watching Giant Robo. It's alright, but I'm finding it a little cheesy to be honest. We were amused to see that it is a spiritual remake of one of her favorite TV shows from childhood.
    It gets so much epic as it goes a long. Just remember "Happiness cannot be achieve without sacrifice!"
  • Spent new year finishing off FMAB. It was ok, but the amount of things that seemed added out of the blue which then had to be closed made the end hard to follow.
  • On a related note, Hulu's not playing any ads during Hokuto no Ken, just at the OP and ED, which is nice.
  • edited January 2012
    Follow up on my Beck viewing, I've started to read the manga. Currently on a rather quick pace since I already know what's happening. Only looking for the differences. Character design's a whole lot different, particularly for Ryusuke and Maho. Also, the manga is filled with Onizuka-esque facial expressions, which weren't even remotely in the anime. I also like the art better.

Well, the anime definitely has the big, big advantage of having actual music in it, but from a pure narrative point of view, I like the manga better. I'll let you guys know at what chapter the anime diverges from the manga, or the manga extends past the anime.
    Post edited by chaosof99 on
  • I read the Beck manga, but only up until Tokyopop stopped putting it out.
  • Chaos, the divergent chapter is in this thread...somewhere. From the spot checking I did after watching the show, it was more or less the same so I just skipped to where the anime ended. I do agree with all of what you said. And even though there are things lost in translation (everyone speaks English so Ryusuke and Maho speaking English didn't even dawn on me as being important when it happens).
  • Rewatching Bartender. If I could get drunk from watching anime, I'd do it with this series so as not to taste the bitterness of alcohol. Too damn good.
  • I've begun re-watching Utena. I know I frequently say "I'm thinking about making..." but it made me think about making a show called "Kashira Talk Radio" explaining all the symbolism and whatnot of the show, not unlike Jesuotaku's "Inbetweens," except this would actually update. Obviously I would have to do more research and work a lot on the scripts with someone, but it seems like a better use of my time than Reddit.
  • Ah, I used to "know" her from another forum, but I quit and she stopped talking to me.
  • So, I have being watching Utena while reading Princess Knight Vol 2. I am pretty sure the creator of Utena must have at least read Princess Knight at least once.
  • edited January 2012
    So, I've made it to the spot where the Beck manga diverges from the Anime. If you've seen the anime, you probably want to start with Volume 12. If you want an extended version of the last two episodes, including some side jokes etc, you can start with Volume 11. The anime sticks pretty close to the manga for the first 10 volumes or so, sans the things I've already mentioned in this thread.

I'll definitely continue reading this.
    Post edited by chaosof99 on
  • Just a warning, there's no conclusion. The story is on "hiatus," but who knows if it will actually return.
  • I just finished Utena "Adolescence of Utena". It makes a lot more sense after watching the whole series. I really want to re-watch the whole series again. However, I Princess Tutu waiting for me. It is a great series! :D
  • It makes a lot more sense after watching the whole series.
    Really? It felt to me like my understanding of the series was keeping me from following the movie.
  • It makes a lot more sense after watching the whole series.
    Really? It felt to me like my understanding of the series was keeping me from following the movie.
    Thanks to the series, I got to know and understand the characters a lot better. Which made me enjoy the movie and understand the motivation of all of them. I took the Utena movie the same way I took "Macross: Do You Remember Love?" :D

• Marathoning Cross Game right now, and loving all of it.
  • Marathoning Cross Game right now, and loving all of it.
    It's my opinion that any fan of japanese pop culture should read a manga by Mitsuru Adachi, or watch an anime based on it. One will suffice though. He's kind of a one trick pony.

Cross Game's great :)
  • edited January 2012
    So I've heard, but one hell of a trick!

Seriously, there is nothing (yet) that I don't love about this show.
    Post edited by Banta on
  • Just watched the first episode of The New Prince of Tennis. Damn Japanese, how do they make me want to watch a show about tennis? It's witchcraft, I tells ya, witchcraft!
  • The same way they can get you hep to Go, drift racing, or wine.
  • I finished Trigun today, and enjoyed the second half significantly more than the first half.

I'd already heard that Vash was a plant before I watched the series myself, though I wasn't sure whether that meant like-a-vegetable or like-a-power-generator. So, the "suddenly in space" episode still was a game changer, especially since I enjoy a post-apocalyptic vibe. I can definitely see why some would rather end the series a little earlier, though, since the ultimate Vash/Knives showdown was somewhat anti-climactic.
  • I just watched Space Adventure Cobra (the Macek Manga dub) with some friends.

It was one of the worst things I've ever watched, in my entire life. I feel like I need a shower, it was so bad.
  • Finished watching all of Trigun while being sick today. I forgot how good this series actually is :P
  • edited January 2012
    I just watched Space Adventure Cobra (the Macek Manga dub) with some friends.

It was one of the worst things I've ever watched, in my entire life. I feel like I need a shower, it was so bad.
    I watched a little of Cobra the Animation TV series. Rogue thug with an interchangeable space arm and bondage babes are all I seem to recall.

Post edited by Josh Bytes on
  • I just watched Space Adventure Cobra (the Macek Manga dub) with some friends.

I watched a little of Cobra the Animation TV series. Rogue thug with an interchangeable space arm and bondage babes are all I seem to recall.

The 80s tv series was so awesome

• About Trigun: Nyo. 'Nuff said.

Rewatching Hungry Heart: Wild Striker. Nostalgia attacks once again.
  • Started watching Yakitate Japan. I find it hilarious that they cast the voice of Ikari Gendou, Tachiki Fumihiko, to voice the baker in the first episode. His character design is pretty much a carbon copy of Gendou too.
  • Just picked up some anime in NYC. Got Cowboy Bebop movie and remix set. I was waiting for the BD set but I got tired of waiting.

Also grabbed Ranma season 2 and the Girl Who Leapt Through Time.
  • Good choice. I love Tokikake. What a great movie. I think it really captures the feeling of high school better than most other movies that take place in high school, at least for me personally. The stupid impulsive things teenagers do, the crushes, the awkwardness, and the easy camaraderie between friends all really give the movie a nostalgic feeling.
  • edited January 2012
    As I'm reading La Corda D'oro, I'm also watching the anime. It's not the best, but it's good enough for my shoujo fix. Plus it has some nice classical music, so that's always enjoyable.
    Post edited by Rochelle on