This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What anime are you watching? v2.0

Comments

• Not strictly Anime, but Young Justice has been relatively fun.
  • edited April 2012
    Saint Seiya Omega
    I am just gonna say the Ryoho was a bitch for using such a technique against Koga. I mean he just started discovering his power and he goes ahead and uses the "Crecent Dragon" WTF! :O
    Dude, when he said "I will only be able to use this once" I was like "IT BETTER BE CRECENT DRAGON BITCH!" it's good to see they kept the classic stuff and just added the element part.

I like Omega but the classic series is a lot more epic in my opinion.

I am sorry for everyone that do not understand Spanish :(
    Also, look at Athena's face in the beginning :O
    Post edited by Erwin on
  • Saint Seiya Omega
    I am just gonna say the Ryoho was a bitch for using such a technique against Koga. I mean he just started discovering his power and he goes ahead and uses the "Crecent Dragon" WTF! :O
    Dude, when he said "I will only be able to use this once" I was like "IT BETTER BE CRECENT DRAGON BITCH!" it's good to see they kept the classic stuff and just added the element part.

I like Omega but the classic series is a lot more epic in my opinion.

I am sorry for everyone that do not understand Spanish :(
    Also, look at Athena's face in the beginning :O
    Up until Poseidon it's without a doubt the most epic, but I have some faith in the Omega series, as long as they don't focus too much on the school stuff.

PD: Spanish dub FTW
  • PD? Pimp Daddy?
  • Post-Doc?
  • Sorry, spanish cables crossed there, PD(Post Data) =PS(Postscript)
  • Kaiji season 2, now with 100% more ZAWA~
  • Kaiji season 2, now with 100% more ZAWA~
    I still haven't seen the last episode of that. Watched when it came out until the last episode that for some reason I never got around seeing.

• Watching Soul Eater. Five years ago, this would have been one of my favorite shows between Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy and CC:S. Now, I suffer through it for the social currency.
  • Watching Eden of the East. It's pretty cool.
    It's really good, but every episode is less good than the previous episode. A at the beginning, B- at the end.

• I actually thought the opposite. Started at a B- ended at a B+. The crowd-sourcing counter-terrorism was the only part that I found truly compelling. Mind, it was well worth watching because I got to watch the closer 11 times.
  • The crowd-sourcing counter-terrorism was the only part that I found truly compelling.
    The first two episodes were what I wanted the rest of the show to be, not all these extra side characters that I don't care about.

• The crowd-sourcing counter-terrorism was the only part that I found truly compelling.
    There is an pretty good Charlie Stross novel that deals with that concept, called Halting State, I recommend it.

The first two episodes were what I wanted the rest of the show to be, not all these extra side characters that I don't care about.

The extra side characters I also didn't care about (well, except the NEAT who I thought was quite funny), but I wasn't terribly compelled by the first two episodes either.
    It's really good, but every episode is less good than the previous episode. A at the beginning, B- at the end.
    I think it's pretty consistent, actually, and I actually like finding out about the other people. I loved the story with the cop at the beginning.

• NEETs are not NEAT! ;)

Agreed on watching the ED 11 times. That has to be the the thing I enjoyed every time, without a doubt. I was disappointed by the ending, and hearing that the movies did nothing to expand upon things is also disappointing.
  • I just finished watching Gurran Lagann. It never looked interesting to me, but Viga's panel last ConnectiCon got me thinking, and I finally just got around to watching it. I enjoyed it a lot, and agree with Viga that there are many parallels to Eva.

Moment that made me laugh out loud:
    Boota saving the day with spiral power.

Moment that I got all choked up:
    Nia dissolving at the wedding.

This morning I started watching Avatar: The Last Airbender (technically not an anime but I'll mention it anyway). My family's been telling me to watch it for years. Also I intend to finish watching Giant Robo sometime over the next couple weeks. We picked it up on Rym's recommendation after last year's ConnectiCon (sense a trend here?) and watched a bit in January; I was amused to see it's basically a variant on Johnny Sokko and His Flying Robot, a live action show I loved loved loved as a child (I watched it on UHF, and now you can watch on Hulu).
  • I was about to catch up on Steins Gate but it is no longer on crunchyroll :(
  • What makes Avatar not an anime? Non-Japanese origin? Art style? Seems pretty anime-like to me.
  • edited June 2012
    What makes Avatar not an anime? Non-Japanese origin? Art style? Seems pretty anime-like to me.
    Non-Japanese origin. We (that is, the people in this forum) use the word anime only to refer to animated works produced in Japan.
    Post edited by Linkigi(Link-ee-jee) on
  • edited June 2012
    Anime is exclusively Japanese created Animation. If it's created by American writers and (at least originally) Korean animators, then it's not Anime.
    Edit: Ninja'd.
    Post edited by Axel on
  • Or we are speaking in French about French animation. Then anime is also the word for all cartoons.
  • Seems like a very regressive, almost xenophobic way to define an art form that is largesly based on art style and conventions that, while originating in Japan, are certainly not the exclusive domain of the Japanese for any particular reason.

Boy, I'm feeling inflammatory this week I guess.
  • Here's the dictionary.com definition:

a Japanese style of motion-picture animation, characterized by highly stylized, colorful art, futuristic settings, violence, and sexuality.

While it does say it's Japanese in origin, I think it's pretty clear that there are an awful lot of animes that don't fit this definition. It's a pretty awful, wishy-washy definition, actually. "Characterized by" is sort of a weasel word.
  • Can you expand on that? Your sentence is poorly structured and I'm having difficulty understanding what you're saying.
  • If we're speaking in English, Anime is a Japanese piece of animation. Screw that Dictionary definition.
  • I would argue that a work of Anime is anything that fits the Anime style. That is, anything that shares the anime aesthetic and/or uses well established anime conventions (animation, cultural references, meta/canon/context). I don't see why "made in Japan" is a requirement.
  • 1) The style isn't Japanese, it's Tezukan. Japanese can mean anything from Keiko Kamen to Hamtaro. The Tezuakn style doesn't originate from Japan but rather the Disney/Iwwerks animation from the 30s such as Pinnochio, but I digress.
    2) That definition isn't actually useful in contexts of most anime discussions. If we use that, it excludes Death Note, Soul Eater, Card Captor Sakura, and Redline, just to name the first few that come to mind.
  • Anime style is an even more wishy-washy definition, because anime isn't a genre but rather a medium and has no single style.