This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What anime are you watching? v2.0

Comments

• Those jail scenes were possibly the best part of all of Wing.
  • Pretty much anything with Duo "God of Death" Maxwell in it is great.
  • Pretty much anything with Duo "God of Death" Maxwell in it is great.
  • ...man, I should revisit Wing then, I don't remember any of that happening.
    Trowa was in the circus, remember? I remember really dumb fashions (Quatre's pink shirt/purple vest come to mind) and people with freaky eyebrows, but I also remember some really good scenes, like the one where Duo and Wufei are in the place where the air is running out, or the one where Heero busts Duo out of prison before he is going to get executed. Come to think of it, most of my favorite parts are the "someone gets hurt" or "someone is in jail" parts.

All I can really remember is a vague curiosity over why the pilots weren't sexing each other.

Which is probably the absolute wrong thought to come to. Well, at least I know what I'll be doing over my long weekend.
  • When I saw Wing, I knew nothing about bishis or fanfiction or any of that, so it didn't color my thoughts about the pilots; I did hetorosexually love Duo's ponytail, though.

I just thought it was cool that these five dudes each had their own Gundam with their own "personalities" their own specs.

I wonder if some girl is, at this moment, writing about how dreamy the Gundam AGE pilot is.
  • There have been a few discussions of manga with no argument, so I figured this was "anime" as in "anime and manga", j
    Just finished Excel Saga. Holy crap, that last episode...
    Are you prepared for Puni Puni Poemy? (no, you are not)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puni_Puni_Poemy
    Oh I'll have to look for that.

ETA: *sigh*, Netflix (once again) hasn't got it. They have other supplementals/add-ons for other series, but not this one.

Oh well, their anime selection HAS gotten much better in the past year or two.
    Of course Netflix wouldn't have a pedophilic show like that.
    Maybe they would.
  • You don't know the Netflix catalog too well if you think they restrict things. Unless it's XXX, it'll be available to rent.
  • I'm almost caught up with Polar Bear's Cafe. It is the sweetest, bestest show. And I fully intend to cosplay it next con season.
  • SOA is based on a novel, I've started reading a translation of said novel.
  • What's SOA about?
  • Virtual reality MMO turns deadly when everyone gets stuck in a .hack "you can't log out, and if you die here you die IRL". Doesn't seem to worry too much about explaining things and doesn't take itself too seriously so-far.
  • edited August 2012
    When I saw Wing, I knew nothing about bishis or fanfiction or any of that, so it didn't color my thoughts about the pilots; I did hetorosexually love Duo's ponytail, though.

I just thought it was cool that these five dudes each had their own Gundam with their own "personalities" their own specs.

I wonder if some girl is, at this moment, writing about how dreamy the Gundam AGE pilot is.
    If an anime character is vaguely male, some girl somewhere is writing about how dreamy they are.
    15 year old me did think Duo was the best.
    All I can really remember is a vague curiosity over why the pilots weren't sexing each other.
    Yes, this preoccupied many people's minds apparently.

Post edited by gomidog on
  • OK so seriously, not to beat a dead horse, but am I missing anything with Soul Eater? It's just shallow eye candy, pretty much, right? No deeper plot here? Nothing going on? My daughter is enamored with it, I'm sort of ashamed of her right now. :-P
  • It's really well animated, but like the first Full Metal Alchemist series it goes off the rails of the manga and eventually has very little to do with the source material. I think the original appeal was in the mystery of the metaphysics, complex character relationships, and fighting really neat villains. The whole, "we can draw on any historical context and animate any particular bad guy" thing should have a lot of options.

I don't think I ever finished either, but instead got bored in the middle of both when nothing particular developed for a long time.
  • edited August 2012
    I watched it a while back and it wasn't a bad show for what it was.

it seemed like it may have had a deeper plot but the anime chose not to get into it, instead focusing on a specific plot line and dropping hints of a larger plot that was never explored and more or less wrapping it up in it's run. Interesting character designs, lots of eye candy.

To me personally, it's strongest point is that it ENDS, and doesn't continue on indefinitely like Naruto, Bleach, etc

That said, I didn't really devote my whole attention to it - it was something to put on while I did things like folding laundry....
    Post edited by Reol on
  • I keep trying to get her to watch Burst Angel with me, which is an unknown quantity for me but seems to have a lot more promise. I try to avoid reading synopses because I hate even mild spoilers.
  • edited August 2012
    Snape kills Tyler Durden with Rosebud.
    Post edited by Greg on
  • Snape kills Tyler Durden with Rosebud.
    IF someone could make an anime where that happened, I would watch the shit out of it.

• I keep trying to get her to watch Burst Angel with me, which is an unknown quantity for me but seems to have a lot more promise. I try to avoid reading synopses because I hate even mild spoilers.
    I suggest listening to the Fast Karate about it, that may give you a more realistic idea of the show's "promise."
  • So I'm watching the first episode of Wing, and man it looks worse than has been advertised by its detractors.
  • GeoGeo
    edited August 2012
    Having seen only the original Gundam trilogy movies, I don't know if I'm on or off the mark when I say this. I get the feeling that 0080: War in the Pocket might be one of the finest stories told in the franchise. I loved that thing and it really made an impact on me by just how well written the story and characters well. Am I just talking out my ass or do other people feel similarly about it?
    Post edited by Geo on
  • edited August 2012
    I keep trying to get her to watch Burst Angel with me, which is an unknown quantity for me but seems to have a lot more promise. I try to avoid reading synopses because I hate even mild spoilers.
    This from the guy who is scared of Ouran and says it's exploitative. Burst Angel? You mean boobie angel, right?

Post edited by gomidog on
  • I don't know why you would want anyone to volunteer to watch Burst Angel with you.
  • I don't know why you would want anyone to volunteer to watch Burst Angel with you.
    Yeah seriously man, don't watch it. It isn't good. Nothing redeemable or worthwhile about it.

• I think it may be that muppet is planning to watch shows based on what's popular on Netflix and/or Crunchyroll. For the record, that's a terrible idea.
  • GeoGeo
    edited August 2012
    I think it may be that muppet is planning to watch shows based on what's popular on Netflix and/or Crunchyroll. For the record, that's a terrible idea.
    I second that. Some of the classics or best stuff, unfortunately, is not found on Crunchyroll, Netflix, or any other legally streaming site. It can only be found by theft (the kind that is justifiable, in my opinion, when there is either no way to get it anywhere or no affordable way due to asshole Japan prices).

Post edited by Geo on
  • Not basing it on anything other than what looked interesting to me in the browse list. I'm 11 episodes in and I'm not seeing a problem with it. I mean, there's some gratuitous fan service bullshit and it's a bit popcorny but it's not TERRIBLE.
  • edited August 2012
    You must have an incredibly high tolerance for gratuitous fanservice bullshit.

EDIT: Man, I just turned on the Fast Karate Burst Angel episode. It's from back when they had intro music. And lived together. I feel weirdly old for feeling nostalgic about that.
    Post edited by Linkigi(Link-ee-jee) on
  • I think Najicka (sp?) Blitz Tactics was the one I shut off midway through EP 1 for being way too fan servicey.
  • The most fanservice bullshit I've watched was Desert Punk. I am quite happy about this.