This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What anime are you watching? v2.0

Comments

• Started watching Neon Genesis Evangelion since it seems to be pretty popular. It reminds me a lot of Xenogears, and makes me want to play it again.
    I've tried to start Eva 4 times. I can never get into it.
    I dunno I'm only 4 episodes in so far and I'm actually really starting to get into it. It sort of reminds me of Ender's Game a little with sort of the morality of how they need to use child soldiers. The only thing that is kinda annoying so far is that there have been a few too many scenes where its just the same still for way too long. I understand it's supposed to let the moment really sink in and build up a certain mood by holding the scene. I'd say it works decently but it kinda gets old and feels sometimes like they're just filling time.
  • Isn't that the one with Windmill Gundam and Tequila Gundam? I have never watched it, but it looks kinda terriblarious.
    It is really, really bad and I do not recommend that you watch it (having watched 8 episodes at least 1/2 a year ago). In terms of stupid stuff that happens in the show, it goes beyond Gundam Wing, but the quality of animation is a lot more prettier than the latter and does not have horrible character designs (to qualify that statement, the characters don't look ugly as sin as they do in Wing) from an aesthetic POV.
    IT'S THE BEST AND NO ONE CAN TELL ME OTHERWISE

(It's pretty bad, but it's giggle-tastic if you're in the mood for a super robot fighting show with all the dramaz of a typical Gundam. SPOILER: The man with the mask is evil.)
    I can sum up the awesomeness of G Gundam in two words and hopefully you'll agree with me: Master Asia.
    He is pretty amazing.
    But you can't top the Burger King:

• Started watching Neon Genesis Evangelion since it seems to be pretty popular. It reminds me a lot of Xenogears, and makes me want to play it again.
    I dunno I'm only 4 episodes in so far and I'm actually really starting to get into it. It sort of reminds me of Ender's Game a little with sort of the morality of how they need to use child soldiers. The only thing that is kinda annoying so far is that there have been a few too many scenes where its just the same still for way too long. I understand it's supposed to let the moment really sink in and build up a certain mood by holding the scene. I'd say it works decently but it kinda gets old and feels sometimes like they're just filling time.
    What exactly is the still you are looking at? A lot of times that still is there to make you realize/remember something you probably aren't remembering. The kinds of things they only tell you in the show explicitly once, and then it's up to you to remember them as the show goes on.

In particular I remember they always showed the still shots of empty streets with the sound of cicadas chirping. That's to remind you of a few things. One is that there is nobody in town except for the NERV employees. Everyone has evacuated. Two is that it is summertime, and it is in the middle of a heat wave.

Most importantly is that the cicadas are reproducing, in contrast to the humans who can not. The Room of Gauf is empty. No new humans have been, or can be, born. Much like the Prince of Nothing where during the time of the No-God Mog-Pharau every womb was a grave. This fact is also important to remember when considering the characters sexual behavior.
  • GeoGeo
    edited August 2012
    I might as well go into the anime I've seen recently...

Kids on the Slope: Once again, Shinichiro Watanabe did not disappoint and he managed to make another amazing show (not as amazing as Champloo or Bebop, but a welcome edition to his canon). He also managed to steer clear from the traps that most slice-of-life shows fall into (e.g. lack of dimensions in characters, tired formulaic stories, etc). This show was crack for me and I started around the point when 10 episodes were on CR, and it was absolute hell waiting for any of the next ones to come out. Totally buying the Blu Ray when it comes out.

Robot Carnival: I was really surprised at how much I liked this anthology film. I won't lie, some of the segments are extremely dated, but a lot of them are awesome (Presence and Cloud come to mind in that regard) and have a lot of heart put into them. I am hoping Discotek Media gets the license for this movie so I can buy if/when it comes out.

Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket - Just starting this OAV and am loving it so far. I've only seen 2 of the 6 episodes but I really hope it wraps up well. I like how the emphasis is on the characters and hardly on the robots at all.

Golgo 13: The Professional - Didn't like this movie at all. Ugly as hell animation, pointless violence, gratuitous T&A, and not enough meat on the bone for me to personally care about it; also CG Helicopter scene.

Although most of the things I complain about are there by design, I still didn't like it all and will never revisit nor think about Golgo 13 or its iterations ever again.
    Post edited by Geo on
  • edited August 2012
    Started watching Neon Genesis Evangelion since it seems to be pretty popular. It reminds me a lot of Xenogears, and makes me want to play it again.
    What exactly is the still you are looking at? A lot of times that still is there to make you realize/remember something you probably aren't remembering. The kinds of things they only tell you in the show explicitly once, and then it's up to you to remember them as the show goes on.

In particular I remember they always showed the still shots of empty streets with the sound of cicadas chirping. That's to remind you of a few things. One is that there is nobody in town except for the NERV employees. Everyone has evacuated. Two is that it is summertime, and it is in the middle of a heat wave.

Most importantly is that the cicadas are reproducing, in contrast to the humans who can not. The Room of Gauf is empty. No new humans have been, or can be, born. Much like the Prince of Nothing where during the time of the No-God Mog-Pharau every womb was a grave. This fact is also important to remember when considering the characters sexual behavior.
    Well the last one that I saw that I had in mind while writing that is when Shinji was supposed to leave Tokyo and Misato shows up to say goodbye to him but thinks he already left since the train took off, then she turns around and they stare at each other for a while while announcements are being read off the intercom. Unless there was something else I was supposed to gather from that scene besides solidifying the bond between the two characters and sort of letting the emotional tension build then it went over my head. That scene (and some others) the pauses are completely intentional, but they go on a little too long in my opinion. I don't mind this occasionally but when I start to notice them then I feel like it's happening too often. Then again, that noticing may be intentional on the director's part as well. It's hard to tell this far in.
    Post edited by MATATAT on
  • Heh. Evangelion "seems to be pretty popular."
  • edited August 2012
    In terms of stupid stuff that happens in the show, it goes beyond Gundam Wing, but the quality of animation is a lot more prettier than the latter and does not have horrible character designs (to qualify that statement, the characters don't look ugly as sin as they do in Wing) from an aesthetic POV.
    Whatchoo talkin' about, foo? Duo Maxwell and Zechs were totally hot.
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • GeoGeo
    edited August 2012
    In terms of stupid stuff that happens in the show, it goes beyond Gundam Wing, but the quality of animation is a lot more prettier than the latter and does not have horrible character designs (to qualify that statement, the characters don't look ugly as sin as they do in Wing) from an aesthetic POV.
    Whatchoo talkin' about, foo? Duo Maxwell and Zechs were totally hot.
    Other than the obvious pandering to the fujoshi demographic, what else does that show have? It has kids dressing in clown costumes and Wufei fighting wolves. And if those of you who are unaware think I'm joking, I'm really not; that actually happens in the show.

Post edited by Geo on
  • Anyone else watched AKB0048? I love it surprisingly. The plot is that entertainment in banned on most planets so AKB0048 is a guerrilla terrorist pop idol group that performs to these planets and fight the military DES with mecha, lightsaber mics and combat. It's better than it sounds. It follows a group of understudies who want to be official AKB0048 members. The members of the group are named after the the first members so you have Acchan the 13th or Takemina the 10th and so on. The animation and especially color design is amazing. Shoji Kawamori worked on this and I was surprised to find that out!

This part early on in the first episode I think represents it well. I think it's a good judge of "will you be into this?"

I also been watching Tsuritama which is about fishing and aliens. Yep. So far more on the fishing, but the alien stuff is leaking more. I'm on episode 6.
  • ...man, I should revisit Wing then, I don't remember any of that happening.
  • edited August 2012
    Anyone else watched AKB0048?
    That sounds awesome. I've gotta see it now.

I've been watching Soul Eater with Sarah. Ugh..
    Post edited by muppet on
    You will be in for a shock. It won't look as nice as you remember when you remove your nostalgia goggles. Time told on how well it would stand up 12 years from now (which is not well at all).

• Anyone else watched AKB0048?
    I've been watching Soul Eater with Sarah. Ugh..
    Is it the first shonen fighting show Sarah has seen? Usually the first one you see has a special place in your heart (the original Dragon Ball holds that spot in mine).
  • I'm sure it's the first. I hope it's the last. Maybe it'll get better, but so far it's as shallow and non-compelling as DBZ was.
  • Just realized that FMA: Brotherhood on Netflix has only the first 3 seasons available. Boo.
  • Soul Eater is one of the better shounen fighting shows. It at least has awesome art. I'm a Yu Gi Oh fan myself. That show had nothing redeeming.
  • I have two. DBZ and One Piece. One Piece at least has a well-written, well-foreshadowed story that has been dragged out too long.
  • To this day I can't watch One Piece because 4-Kidz. I'm perfectly happy reading it and watching the movies though (especially 6, that one is top notch).
  • Just realized that FMA: Brotherhood on Netflix has only the first 3 seasons available. Boo.
    How long is that show? Does it actually have more than three seasons?
    How long is that show? Does it actually have more than three seasons?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Fullmetal_Alchemist:_Brotherhood_episodes

There are 64 episodes and 4 OVAs. I guess it makes sense that the other seasons aren't available yet on Netflix because the DVD/Boo Ray release of vol. 2 was just last month. It's ok though, the internet provides.
  • I am just gonna say that G Gundam is be most awesome Gundam show there is out there. :D
  • Shaman King for me word up~
  • After a long hiatus, finally watched some more Death Note, enough to get to the halfway point. I'm glad that I didn't know anything about it beyond the obvious, cause it is a pretty entertaining romp, though utterly ridiculous at times.
  • I am just gonna say that G Gundam is be most awesome Gundam show there is out there. :D
    Truth.

Truth.

Truth.

Volumes?

• edited August 2012
    Netflix has the seasons broken down into 13 episodes and currently only has 39 episodes.

Volume 1 on Blu Ray is episodes 1-33, and Vol. 2 (Complete Collection 2) has episodes 34-64.

I have no idea. It's odd, but that's how it is.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • I have two. DBZ and One Piece. One Piece at least has a well-written, well-foreshadowed story that has been dragged out too long.

Cosign both, and Recommend Kekkaishi. It definitely doesn't have the same number of eps as the big shows, but I think you might like it. Hmm, don't think it counts as a fighting show, but it is shounen.
    Trowa was in the circus, remember? I remember really dumb fashions (Quatre's pink shirt/purple vest come to mind) and people with freaky eyebrows, but I also remember some really good scenes, like the one where Duo and Wufei are in the place where the air is running out, or the one where Heero busts Duo out of prison before he is going to get executed. Come to think of it, most of my favorite parts are the "someone gets hurt" or "someone is in jail" parts.