This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What anime are you watching? v2.0

Comments

• Finished Penguindrum. Damn. I loved it and might watch it again but also found it a little irritating that things didn't wrap up more cleanly. In particular
    the reality/fantasy line just never really cleared up. Like, was the Child Broiler for real or symbolic? Ditto for the tower. Arguably Ikuhara left a lot of reality/fantasy questions unanswered in Utena too, but with Utena I felt the central conflict had been resolved quite cleanly so I didn't care as much about exactly where the fantasy/reality line was. Penguindrum just felt messier. I'm wondering if a second viewing would clarify at all. With Penguindrum I'm not even sure what the central conflict *was*.

Also finished Angel Beats. It was cute and fun, with a reasonable mix of emo and action. I don't think I'd watch it again though, or necessarily recommend it.

Also finished Haruhi. Season Two was never anywhere near as strong as Season One.

I'm about 8 episodes into Fate/Zero, which I'm watching strictly because it's Urobuchi. I didn't think I'd like a show about a magical war over the Holy Grail, but by the end of episode four I was into it. I'm really looking forward to finding out what Urobuchi's cooked up for Fall 2012.
  • I thought Angel Beats was a little too heavy on the emo, and I also thought the plot and the rules of the universe were inconsistent, but can't remember specifically why.

I enjoyed it more than a lot of other animes, though.
  • I've been watching Sword Art Online.

For me specifically, it's fucking amazing.

I imagine most people don't burst into crazy laughter when someone is rather sadly telling a bunch of people that are going to try to kill him, "This is totally unfair, but I'm on a way higher level than you, and I passively regenerate more hit points per second than you can possibly deal in damage."

I completely understand that this isn't funny at all to most people.
  • SAO seems to me like .hack with fewer problems.
  • SAO seems to me like .hack with fewer problems.
    Yep.
  • I've been watching Sword Art Online.

For me specifically, it's fucking amazing.

I imagine most people don't burst into crazy laughter when someone is rather sadly telling a bunch of people that are going to try to kill him, "This is totally unfair, but I'm on a way higher level than you, and I passively regenerate more hit points per second than you can possibly deal in damage."

I completely understand that this isn't funny at all to most people.
    Your not alone. I was watching it with some buddies and we were laughing our asses off.

I wish that it was a little truer to it's premise. IT could play with the notion of "ugly gamers" more, but we haven't seen anybody who wasn't pretty since episode one.

• Oh there are things like that that don't quite jive for me, like the whole contrived situation in the latest episode, but it's just for fun. It's definitely interesting so-far. It also makes me want to go back and re-watch Tower of Druaaga.
  • edited August 2012
    Fist of the North Star is an instructional series on acupuncture.

Sword Art Online is my favorite show of this season; it's a weak season. I like SAO a lot, and I can barely wait for a new episode. I don't know how I feel about him being called the Black Swordsman, though.

So I Can't play H

EDIT: OK, so I should learn to not press the preview button more than once.

What I was trying to say is that the only good thing about So I Can't play H is that the lead character gets slapped around an is called a perv, and he's actually a perv.

If you need some comedy in your life, go for Humanity has Declined. Good and absurd.
    Post edited by VichusSmith on
  • I'm also continuing to watch Accel World, which is yet another show about people in virtual reality.
  • Uchuu Kyoudai is still a good long burn of a show. I'm hoping they go further than just the training and tests.

• That list needs more Moyashimon. Just saying.
  • It's not anime but I've been watching a lot of Regular Show. I want to party with Muscle Man and play punchies with Rigby.
  • It's not anime but I've been watching a lot of Regular Show. I want to party with Muscle Man and play punchies with Rigby.
    Me too, started last night. I've always been a fan but I've never gone through to watch every episode like I am now.
  • I just rewatched Evangelion (1-26 with director's cut versions of 21-24). Then I listened to the rest of GeekNight's Evangelion Final Thoughts. Tomorrow, I will watch the movies.
  • Rebuild or End of/Death and Rebirth?
  • edited August 2012
    Watched the two Broly DBZ movies for the first time. They are pretty awful...
    Post edited by Anthony Heman on
  • edited August 2012
    Rebuild or End of/Death and Rebirth?
    I'm waiting for Rebuild to be completed. Death, definitely. I thought Rebirth is some version of 25', but I'll check it out anyway, then End of Evangelion.

Evangelion was complicated enough without having 4 different versions of everything.
    Post edited by okeefe on
  • Death and Rebirth is just a clip show, and a poor one at that. Skip it.
  • Death and Rebirth is just a clip show, and a poor one at that. Skip it.
    This is true. The thing you want to watch is Episode 25 - "Air" and Episode 26 - "A Pure Heart for You." We refer to it as "Air and a Pure Heart for You."
  • If I recall correctly, that is also End of Eva.
  • edited August 2012
    Started watching Neon Genesis Evangelion since it seems to be pretty popular. It reminds me a lot of Xenogears, and makes me want to play it again.
    Post edited by MATATAT on
  • Going to be joining in the latest ADTRW Simulwatchathon, 12 weeks of Turn-A Gundam. So stoked.
  • Started watching Neon Genesis Evangelion since it seems to be pretty popular. It reminds me a lot of Xenogears, and makes me want to play it again.
    I've tried to start Eva 4 times. I can never get into it.
  • edited August 2012
    Started watching Neon Genesis Evangelion since it seems to be pretty popular. It reminds me a lot of Xenogears, and makes me want to play it again.
    I've tried to start Eva 4 times. I can never get into it.
    The really good part of Eva, where it gets super strange and the main reason people like it, doesn't start til about 13 episodes in. I usually recommend people just start with the Rebuild movies, since the first one condenses that first half of the series into something a lot easier to digest but also perhaps more entertaining and also gorgeously animated. If you like those two movies, then you can check out the original series just starting from about halfway in.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • I finished Fate/Zero last night. I guess I liked it, because I marathoned season 2 yesterday and didn't get bored. The set-up wasn't really my thing (Holy Grail war, summoning heroic spirits) but it was an interesting set of characters, and Urobuchi's nihilism was omnipresent.

I re-started Fullmetal Alchemist, because I'm planning to put together a panel about mothers in anime and it seems I can't really leave out FMA (for at least a brief mention, let's see how I feel once I've finished it).
  • G Gundam is quite possibly the most racist show I've ever seen.
  • edited August 2012
    Isn't that the one with Windmill Gundam and Tequila Gundam? I have never watched it, but it looks kinda terriblarious.
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • edited August 2012
    That's the one. G Gundam is exactly terriblarious, although Axel may disagree on that.
    Post edited by Linkigi(Link-ee-jee) on
  • edited August 2012
    IT'S THE BEST AND NO ONE CAN TELL ME OTHERWISE

(It's pretty bad, but it's giggle-tastic if you're in the mood for a super robot fighting show with all the dramaz of a typical Gundam. SPOILER: The man with the mask is evil.)
    Post edited by Axel on
  • GeoGeo
    edited August 2012
    Isn't that the one with Windmill Gundam and Tequila Gundam? I have never watched it, but it looks kinda terriblarious.
    It is really, really bad and I do not recommend that you watch it (having watched 8 episodes at least 1/2 a year ago). In terms of stupid stuff that happens in the show, it goes beyond Gundam Wing, but the quality of animation is a lot more prettier than the latter and does not have horrible character designs (to qualify that statement, the characters don't look ugly as sin as they do in Wing) from an aesthetic POV.
    IT'S THE BEST AND NO ONE CAN TELL ME OTHERWISE

(It's pretty bad, but it's giggle-tastic if you're in the mood for a super robot fighting show with all the dramaz of a typical Gundam. SPOILER: The man with the mask is evil.)
    I can sum up the awesomeness of G Gundam in two words and hopefully you'll agree with me: Master Asia.
    Post edited by Geo on