This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What anime are you watching? v2.0

Comments

• I finished watching The Big O today. I enjoyed the show up until the end. I have no idea what the final episode was about and was really disappointed that they didn't seem to answer any of the questions that the show had been asking since pretty much the first episode.
    Because the 3rd season they expected never happened.
  • Anybody know any others I can put on my roster?
    I nominate Masaaki Yuasa on the grounds that Mind Game, Kaiba, and The Tatami Galaxy are all wonderful.
  • I just watched "Jin-Roh: The wolf brigade" yesterday, and maybe it is because I am not a deep thinker or something, but I didn't really understood what happened in there!
    All I got is that there were like 4 double crossings on that movie, and that it seen like it was something of a modern retelling of the Red Riding Hood. Also, the movie was a bit boring at times...
  • I just watched "Jin-Roh: The wolf brigade" yesterday, and maybe it is because I am not a deep thinker or something, but I didn't really understood what happened in there! ....Also, the movie was a bit boring at times...
    Welcome to the world of Mamoru Oshii.

• Didn't he write that one, thought someone else had the director's chair?

• Didn't he write that one, thought someone else had the director's chair?

Yeah he did, but he still wrote it. Oshii's "Oshiiness" rubs off in any capacity no matter what hat he is wearing.

• Space Pirate Captain Harlock is badass. That is all.
  • GeoGeo
    edited August 2012
    Just watched Patlabor 1. It was good, but nothing amazing. This might sound like a question from out of nowhere; but is Patlabor 2 the better film in the series? I ask this because based on almost every person I've ever heard talk about the series; Patlabor 2 is always immediately the first thing mentioned and it usually comes down to glowing praise for that film. Should I continue on to it? I wasn't particularly moved by the first movie.
    Post edited by Geo on
  • Yes. Patlabor 1 works really well as an introduction to the characters. Think of it as a "Hey, watch this, and if you like it there's a TV series just like it for you to watch!"
  • Yes. Patlabor 1 works really well as an introduction to the characters. Think of it as a "Hey, watch this, and if you like it there's a TV series just like it for you to watch!"
    Okay? And where does Patlabor 2 stand in that regard?

Hey, you already love and know all about the Patlabor characters? Watched all the TV series and OVA and such? Now watch Patlabor 2!
  • GeoGeo
    edited August 2012
    Yes. Patlabor 1 works really well as an introduction to the characters. Think of it as a "Hey, watch this, and if you like it there's a TV series just like it for you to watch!"

Hey, you already love and know all about the Patlabor characters? Watched all the TV series and OVA and such? Now watch Patlabor 2!
    I should qualify that I'm not watching the two Patlabor movies because they're part of the Patlabor series. I'm watching it because they are Mamoru Oshii films and because neither the TV series nor the second OAV series were not done by Oshii; I refuse to touch them. That, and the previous two works are not part of the actual Patlabor timeline. I will only watch the first OAV series and Patlabor 2.
    Post edited by Geo on
  • edited August 2012
    Just an opinion; I love the first Patlabour but I strongly dislike the second one. The film feels frankly sluggish the entire time and every hint of tension is leeched out by the fact that resolutions happen at the same excruciating pace as everything else. It's got no punctuation and it makes it feel like there is no resolution; there is a helicopter strafing scene that feels like it's happening in the same agonizing slow motion as an awkward conversation and it takes the lingering directing style to such an extreme that it removes what is normally effective about it. It honestly feels like an extended parody of Oshii's style.
    Post edited by open_sketchbook on
  • GeoGeo
    edited August 2012
    Just an opinion; I love the first Patlabour but I strongly dislike the second one. The film feels frankly sluggish the entire time and every hint of tension is leeched out by the fact that resolutions happen at the same excruciating pace as everything else. It's got no punctuation and it makes it feel like there is no resolution; there is a helicopter strafing scene that feels like it's happening in the same agonizing slow motion as an awkward conversation and it takes the lingering directing style to such an extreme that it removes what is normally effective about it. It honestly feels like an extended parody of Oshii's style.
    The thing is, this is the very first movie that had Oshii's trademark style of impenetrable symbolism (oftentimes religious) and philosophical storylines.

One could say Angel's Egg is the first one, but I almost consider that to be his beta test for the style he would adopt from Patlabor 2 onwards. I say this because all of his early work had two very distinct things: great action scenes and hilarious comedic elements (with some of his trademark philosophical style peppered in somewhere); which he has almost entirely abandoned now.

I'm just watching Patlabor 2 as I type this and one thing that really strikes me about it is how relevant it is to American culture post 9/11 (also Oshii was interrogated by the police after Aum Shinrikyo nerve gassed the subway back in '95 because of how similar the Aum Shinrikyo crimes and the crimes in Patlabor 2 were).
    Post edited by Geo on
  • The second Patlabor movie makes little sense if you haven't seen the TV series and new files. It's pretty much the conclusion of the plot for all the main characters. Also, while Mamoru Oshii's name isn't on the TV series, his hands are all over it. If you see the chinese food episode there is no doubt whatsoever that it was from the brain of Oshii. Sorry, I don't remember exactly which episode number that is. OVA2 is the Patlabor that really has nothing at all to do with Oshii.
  • edited August 2012
    I enjoyed the first Patlabor movie. The opening scene with the mastermind doing what he did was a nice twist in that it's something you don't normally see in many films. The Patlabors did take a backseat in the film though. The series at it's core is about the cast more so than the robots though.
    Post edited by Josh Bytes on
  • GeoGeo
    edited August 2012
    So I watched Rintaro's The Dagger of Kamui today and I have to say, I loved it. So many people say that it is unwatchable and terrible, and I don't understand why. I guess Daryl Surat and I are brothers in arms in that regard. I loved it on how visually exciting it was and how it hooked my attention the entire time; it was a treat for the eyes. If you are an aficionado or student of animation; you definitely need to check this one out. Every single frame has something moving or happening; there is not one static shot in the film. As for the story, it is pretty much an epic in the literary sense, not epic as in "I'VE GOT AN EPIC HAMBURGER".

Don't listen to the haters, I highly recommend this movie.
    Post edited by Geo on
  • Terry Crews has spoken.

• I just finished watching Kids on the Slope, and I should say it was a nice anime to watch. When I first started it I wasn't expecting it to be a drama anime, but I like drama, so no problem there. I kinda liked how they mixed a bit of good jazz music into everything there, and it became part of the story.
    My only criticizing to the show is that sometimes events happened way to conveniently (Somebody overhearing something, somebody running into each other, etc) but I guess they just wanted to favor development over realism.
    Anyway, watch the show if you haven't haven't seen it. (If for nothing else, I believe my girl, Yoko Kano, was in charge of the music for this one)
  • Space Pirate Captain Harlock is badass. That is all.
    Yes. Yes he is.
  • GeoGeo
    edited September 2012
    I just finished watching Kids on the Slope, and I should say it was a nice anime to watch. When I first started it I wasn't expecting it to be a drama anime, but I like drama, so no problem there. I kinda liked how they mixed a bit of good jazz music into everything there, and it became part of the story.
    My only criticizing to the show is that sometimes events happened way to conveniently (Somebody overhearing something, somebody running into each other, etc) but I guess they just wanted to favor development over realism.
    Anyway, watch the show if you haven't haven't seen it. (If for nothing else, I believe my girl, Yoko Kano, was in charge of the music for this one)
    I think I can provide a defense to how events conveniently happen, people overhear each other, etc. I think that has to do with the fact they live in what is effectively a small village on a slope and when you live in such a small place; there are not many places you can go so running into the same people must be an incredibly common occurrence. Also, people in small communities like KotS tend to know everybody rather quickly.

EDIT: Also Churba, you have not announced the shameful manga you read. I would like to know this now.

Post edited by Geo on
  • EDIT: Also Churba, you have not announced the shameful manga you read. I would like to know this now.
    Patience, Padawan. I'm compiling a list.
  • edited September 2012
    Just saw this trailer. Ahh yes

Post edited by Alan on
  • edited September 2012
    I finished watching Fate/Zero last weekend, and here are my thoughts:
    I was quite pleased with the series. This one was clearly superior, on my humble opinion, to its predecessor (sequel?), not only in its story, and animation, but also had more believable characters and better action sequences . This one was clearly made for a more mature audience.
    The only part of the whole show that I didn't like that much was the beginning of the season season, since this show isn't really an action show and the whole first 2 episodes were a long drag out fight with powers and moves that they even show before... I kinda reminded me a bit of DBZ. In contrast to all this, I found the last fight of the show a really good, and didn't even take 5 mins.
    Anyway, I believe it is a good anime that any of you may like, even if you aren't knowledgeable on the typemoon world (even though it kinda enhances the experience since you can get the easter eggs on the show)
    Post edited by Dincu on
  • Looks like I'll give that show a go then. I dropped it due to the beginning episodes.
  • Starting Nichijou, and making an effort to go back and watch all of the GitS seasons, and the original FMA.
  • I am watching Knight in the Area (Area no Kishi), if you enjoy soccer, it might be your cup of tea :P
  • GeoGeo
    edited September 2012
    I've decided to do another panel in addition to my Great Anime Directors panel; one that is much more specific and focused than the latter. It's called "The Sanrio You Never Knew". Very simply put, it is about the life of Sanrio Films; an absolutely astonishing studio that made some amazing anime that really sticks with you once you see it. It will show just how daring Sanrio Films were both thematically and visually...which unfortunately led to its demise when every single one of their films completely died in the box office, unjustly so, and caused them to go into bankruptcy.

Examples include the Unico series, Ringing Bell, Sea Prince and the Fire Child, and more.

The main point of the panel is to show that Sanrio wasn't always a company that activated their marketing machine in 1961 and kept it running for all this time; they took risks and dares that oftentimes paid off for them in the long-run. Good idea or bad idea?

Post edited by Geo on
  • It's not like he is into ecchi, ero manga, right? I know he is into the romantic stuff, which is not the worst thing ever, but better than hentai, ecchi, or the like; right?
    A late reply, but today Churba decided to share something relevant with the club.
    18:21:43] Churba: wat
    [18:21:44] Churba: WAT
    [18:21:47] Churba: I'm reading this manga
    [18:21:56] Churba: First chapter, not even halfway through, dude is fucking a drunk ghost
    [18:22:32] Churba: I don't mean that in my usual coliquial way of inserting fuck into every sentance, I mean he's literally boning the spiritual remenants of the dearly departed
    [18:26:49] Churba: This is so fucking weird
    [18:26:51] Churba: What the fuck
    [18:32:11] Churba: "Your breasts are so big and nice. Like two peices of bread"
    [18:32:13] Churba: WHAT
  • Watching first episode of Kaiji... premise seems too unbelievable so-far.
    Kaiji may be too moe for you, you have been warned.