This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Super Smash Brothers Brawl

Comments

• edited March 2008
    Is anyone having problems with the My Music feature? I can't get the songs that I want to play on some stages to ever be heard. For example, on the Halberd stage I have Meta Knight's Revenge and Checker Knights on very high and every other song is on very low, but the only song I ever seem to get is Boss Battle Medley. Is there anyone else having a problem like this?

EDIT: Never mind, I have figured out that the percentages in the game are incredibly messed up and that you need to put a song almost to zero if you still want it to play, but only rarely.
    Post edited by Li_Akahi on
  • OK, how do you play a coin challenge battle? I looked on the Dojo and Google but all I find are tips on making a spiky stage to battle on or a picture of a coin battle in progress.
    edited March 2008
    OK, how do you play a coin challenge battle? I looked on the Dojo and Google but all I find are tips on making a spiky stage to battle on or a picture of a coin battle in progress.
    Tilt left and right to change the angle of the launcher and press the button to roll coins out. Basically, the coins themselves are your bullets.
    Or do you mean the option in Smash?
    Post edited by ... on
  • It's in the Vault, I believe.
  • Or if you meant a coin battle, it's under rules in the Brawl option.

Oh, and I decided to make a pirate ship as a custom stage and worked perfectly; it has a lookout, a room for the captain, and even a brig, made from a ladder and a short platform. :D I used the K-Rool deck music, which fits it perfectly. And I thought my Pyramid stage would never be surpassed...
  • Or if you meant a coin battle, it's under rules in the Brawl option.

Oh, and I decided to make a pirate ship as a custom stage and worked perfectly; it has a lookout, a room for the captain, and even a brig, made from a ladder and a short platform. :D I used the K-Rool deck music, which fits it perfectly. And I thought my Pyramid stage would never be surpassed...
    Pictures?
  • I found it. I did not know you could click on the Brawl button to change between Coin, normal and team battles. That's what I get for not playing the GC version.

• Pictures?
    I'll see if I can get some up.
  • Any one for some Brawling tonight? If enough of us are in we could set up something really cool.
  • I have played the characters in my quest for my "main dude." Let it be known that Rym plays Metaknight.
  • Meta Knight is pretty kick-ass.
    If by kick-ass you mean super-cheap, then you are correct. Don't get me wrong meta knight is good, and people can be good playing as him. But it seems that when anyone plays as him, no matter the skill level, he is very cheap. It just seems like all of his moves are unblock able as long as the initial attack lands (i.e. Side special and regular special). In my opinion the only way to be truly fair as meta night is to use these moves as little as possible.
    If by kick-ass you mean super-cheap, then you are correct. Don't get me wrong meta knight is good, and people can be good playing as him. But it seems that when anyone plays as him, no matter the skill level, he is very cheap. It just seems like all of his moves are unblock able as long as the initial attack lands (i.e. Side special and regular special). In my opinion the only way to be truly fair as meta night is to use these moves as little as possible.
    Aww, quit whining. There are ways to dodge every attack, including those.
    Aww, quit whining. There are ways to dodge every attack, including those.
    I don't mean to sound like I'm whining. I know theres a way to doge them, it just seems harder to do than most other attacks. Because of this I have become good at dodging those attacks. (Or I just use Lucario :-P). I wasn't trying to put down the people who play as meta knight, I was just stating that I think he is really unbalanced, compared to the other characters.
  • Nah, if you notice, MetaKnight has very few "Kill Moves". Though he may be able to get your percentage up, he has a relatively hard time actually knocking you out.

Also, he's fairly light...so he's pretty balanced.
  • Nah, if you notice, MetaKnight has very few "Kill Moves". Though he may be able to get your percentage up, he has a relatively hard time actually knocking you out.

Also, he's fairly light...so he's pretty balanced.
    He is also fairly weak, his attacks just hit a lot of times.
  • Both the B and over B moves do 1, maybe to damage per hit... Thats really like 9% if you hit with all of them. They are actually not very good. MetaKnight is much better just staying in the air and maneuvering while over and down smashing in the air to rack up %.
  • I was just stating that I think he is really unbalanced, compared to the other characters.
    If he's actually unbalanced, then you'll see everyone in the tournament circuit using him. The fact that they don't thus far leads me to believe that he is perfectly balanced.

Also, as was pointed out above, he has practically no killing moves. I've failed, with a fully-charged smash, to KO 150%+ opponents.
  • I was just stating that I think he is really unbalanced, compared to the other characters.
    If he's actually unbalanced, then you'll see everyone in the tournament circuit using him.
    The tournament circuit has shown how balanced this game actually is. Unlike with Melee, there is quite a bit more diversity when it comes to people's mains.
  • As far as I can tell, none of the characters are heavily unbalanced. What isn't balanced is the difficulty of the characters.

For example, take Mario and Ice Climbers. Mario is relatively easy to use. A player low on skills can probably use Mario to at least 75% of his potential power. Ice Climber is very hard to use. The same player might only be able to get 25% of the Ice Climber's potential. An Ice Climber at 25% strength is weaker than Mario at 75% strength, so to that person it might seem like Ice Climbers are unfairly underpowered.

What if someone had mad skills and could extract 100% of the power from any of the characters? That person might realize that the full potential of the characters. Maybe a 100% Ice Climber is actually stronger than a 100% Mario? Only that god-like player can say for sure that there is some amount of imbalance.

But wait, there is even more to think about. How "balanced" a character feels depends heavily on what characters they are up against and what map they are on. If a fast character with strong long range projectiles fights against a slow character with close range attacks on a large map, guess who is going to have an easier time of winning?

I'm really just not willing to accept any discussion on the balance of the characters in this game from anyone who isn't an amazing expert. Winning and losing depends on some combination of player skill, randomness (items), map, and the combination of characters that has been chosen by all players. I think player skill has the most to do with it, as expert players can probably kick all our asses even if they had to choose characters at random.
  • One added note. If I were running an official Smash Bros. Tournament, I would have all random character selection and all random maps. That is the best way to determine who is the most skilled player. I would also make it round-robin or have a loser's bracket. The game is too random to do a single elimination bracket.
  • One added note. If I were running an official Smash Bros. Tournament, I would have all random character selection and all random maps. That is the best way to determine who is the most skilled player. I would also make it round-robin or have a loser's bracket. The game is too random to do a single elimination bracket.
    Unless you play 4 stock, no items, Fox Only, Final Destination.
    When I play against people in a casual setting, I practically only choose random. Part of that stems from the fact that many of the people I play against don't actually own the game or didn't own Melee, so I choose it to possibly limit myself (and I have found that not knowing who you are playing as makes the experience more fun). From doing this, I have found that I am an above average player and that the characters are mostly completely balanced. (NOTE: I am not trying to sound egotistical, I am just making my point.)
  • I have decided. I'm going to play random now. I will only be pissed if I get Ness or Lucas, because I can't use PK Thunder to save my life.
  • Well, although it's fun to play random, it's always good to have one or two characters that you can feel completely comfortable with if you want to play a competitive round.
  • edited March 2008
    I feel the same about Dedede (because he is too slow and a lot of his attacks are not as heavy hitting as I would have hoped) and to some extent R.O.B. (because of his somewhat limited close range capabilities).

EDIT: In more serious situations I use: Link, Toon Link, Lucario, Pokemon Trainer, Ice Climbers, and Samus (though it is mostly Zero Suit Samus when I use her).
    Post edited by Li_Akahi on
  • In my opinion, everyone is usable except Bowser.
  • In my opinion, everyone is usable. Period.
    I never said that any of them weren't usable, just that I prefer not to use them.
    I never said that any of them weren't usable, just that I prefer not to use them.
    Yeah, I know. My comment wasn't pointed at anyone.