This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Super Smash Brothers Brawl

Comments

• I tend to favor Meta Knight when I play simply because I have a bad habit of falling off the platforms. I find Meta Knight (and Pit) are more forgiving of this in regards to their recovery moves.

I like Gannon and Lucario but both of them are just too slow for me. I am still learning how to effectively use the defense moves and too many times I end up striking at empty air (facing the wrong way) and the recovery time on these characters is so slow that I get my ass kicked before I can recover from my facing problem. I also have a few issues with trying to turn around or move a little bit and running by accident. I would prefer if there were a run button (I had the same problem in Twilight Princess due to the lack of a jump button). I'll learn my way past this problem.

It is also very interesting to watch the battles on wi-fi. I have learned a few things about the characters by watching who wins the online games. For the most part I always bet on Kirby.
  • I would prefer if there were a run button
    There is a run button. You have to tap the stick and hold it in the direction you want to run. The main problem many nubs have with Smash Bros. is mastering the difference between a tap of the analog stick and a normal push of the stick.
  • Really, you just have to "double-tap" towards the direction you want to go. Not too hard.
  • I have decided. I'm going to play random now. I will only be pissed if I get Ness or Lucas, because I can't use PK Thunder to save my life.
    Pun? I also use the random square more than any other. My downfall: Olimar.
  • My two serious characters are Mr. Game and Watch and R.O.B. I play Olimar to have fun/annoy people with Pikmin spam.

I will say that ROB is my favorite. His smash attacks are ridiculously strong and his B laser is amazing when it's fully charged. I've triple KO'ed with it a few times. Also, his jets are just about as powerful as Pit or Metaknight's wings, and he has two spin-in-a-circle attacks to get out of a group fight. I can't see any problems here.
  • I tend to favor Meta Knight when I play simply because I have a bad habit of falling off the platforms. I find Meta Knight (and Pit) are more forgiving of this in regards to their recovery moves.

I like Gannon and Lucario but both of them are just too slow for me. I am still learning how to effectively use the defense moves and too many times I end up striking at empty air (facing the wrong way) and the recovery time on these characters is so slow that I get my ass kicked before I can recover from my facing problem. I also have a few issues with trying to turn around or move a little bit and running by accident. I would prefer if there were a run button (I had the same problem in Twilight Princess due to the lack of a jump button). I'll learn my way past this problem.

It is also very interesting to watch the battles on wi-fi. I have learned a few things about the characters by watching who wins the online games. For the most part I always bet on Kirby.
    Lucario is much faster than Ganondorf. Ganondorf is far too slow to really balance his extreme power, they made him much slower in this game.

Lucario is much faster than Ganondorf. Ganondorf is far too slow to really balance his extreme power, they made him much slower in this game.
    I've noticed that almost EVERY one of his attacks takes a ridiculously long time to initiate before he actually attacks. Also, I don't know if this is true, but I think, if you use his Side Special in the air he also is propelled down along with his victim. This can be a problem off the side of the platform.
  • Also, I don't know if this is true, but I think, if you use his Side Special in the air he also is propelled down along with his victim. This can be a problem off the side of the platform.
    <Side Special Move: Flame Choke>
    On the ground, he grabs the opponent’s head and thumps it down.
    In the air, he immediately slams the foe earthward!
  • Since this is also for comments on the episode now:
    Entenfleisch literally means duck meat.
  • Since this is also for comments on the episode now:
    Also, my boyfriend's friend still calls the Wii the "Revolution". Whenever he does this, it really irks me, and I then yell at him, "It's called the Wii. Get over it! You don't even own one, so why do you keep calling it the Revolution, you freaking fanboy!?"

Yeah, out of an impulse buy, I bought this game. >.> I might pop it in the Wii, eventually.
  • You don't even own one
    Ow! Do you know what you're saying?

As for the game, I'm getting a Wii when Brawl comes out here.
  • edited March 2008
    You don't even own one
    Ow! Do you know what you're saying?
    Heh. I had to reread that a few times to understand what you meant. However, I'm sure if he took it as that he doesn't have the testicular fortitude to talk back at me. He's a wussy nancy boy.

Edit:
    Also, I can bet that there will be a Brawl Tournament at PAX along with it being part of the Omegathon. I plan on watching more of the Omegathon this year. It really is entertaining, even if you're just watching people play video games.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • I still call it the Revolution . . .
  • Rym, you might have already answered this, but I'm no going to fish through the comments to find it. What is your brawl code? Also, they made Falco crap in brawl.
  • They also gave him a really crappy voiceover from his SF Assault voice actor.
  • They also gave him a really crappy voiceover from his SF Assault voice actor.
    I agree, 100% he sounds like a homosexual in the new game, but in the old game he sounded really kool (yes cool with a k).
  • Not saying being homosexual is bad.
  • edited March 2008
    Ehh, I don't really have a problem with the voice.

And yes, let's start trading friend codes people.

3566 1211 5435
    Post edited by Sail on
  • I haven't included friend codes so much in IDShare because it will be cluttered with too many games. I will have to make substantial improvements to the system, which I should probably make anyway, to get it to work better. However, I also feel that the friend codes are so bad that Nintendo's online play offerings are totally worthless. I don't, and don't think I will, play games online with DS or Wii anytime soon. It's not even worth the effort of getting the friend codes.
  • Also, they made Falco crap in brawl.
    He's definitely not the Falco I know and love. He's missing the move that made me love him...
    He's definitely not the Falco I know and love. He's missing the move that made me love him...
    And this move would be...?
  • edited March 2008
    Also, they made Falco crap in brawl.
    I agree. That's why I stopped using him.
    Post edited by Rym on
    And this move would be...?
    Also, they made Falco crap in brawl.
    I agree thats why i stopped using him.
    The smash A > move of course.
  • Hmm...

Scrym spoke of four tiers of Brawl ability. Which tier do you think YOU'RE in right now?
  • I'd would like to joke something to the effect of "who gives an honest fuck" but I can't for Nintendo of Europe hates me and hates my freedoms.
  • The smash A > move of course.
    That was the roundhouse kick right?
    Scrym spoke of four tiers of Brawl ability. Which tier do you think YOU'RE in right now?
    0, no brawl >:(
  • I think I'm tier 2, perhaps on the cusp of tier 3. I can beat the computer on 9, but I don't really block at all.
  • I think I'm tier 2, perhaps on the cusp of tier 3. I can beat the computer on 9, but I don't really block at all.
    I don't block or dodge nearly enough either. In more typical fighting games, blocking is so basic. Yet in Smash Bros. even simply putting up the shield at all could almost be considered an advanced technique, despite being just one button. I am still trying to figure out why this is.

I think I'm going to change my controller configuration so that Z is block, instead of R. Then I'll make R do the throw/grab. Not having the analog resistance of the R button on the block I think will help me block more often. I would put block on the unused X button (which for me is an unused additional jump button), but that would require an additional thumb position. Keeping the right thumb limited to A, B, and Y has the best potential in terms of reflexes and combinations.
  • edited March 2008
    Tier 1.5 and I've seen tier 4s lose to me in a fluke, but that is the power of the items.

Also the higher the tier you go, the more anal you get about fighting area. I recently am organizing a charity tournament this upcoming Saturday, and posted the rules of the tournament. Now since I want it to go fairly quickly I had 4 player and 3 player matches in the early rounds. The amount of gripe I got for it would drive you insane, you do not want to know the reaction when I said a coin battle final....
    Post edited by Coldguy on
  • What were the four tiers exactly again?