This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Things of your day

Comments

• There's something of a story to this, so first, the link(s):

The Heartless Giant, Pt 1
    The Heartless Giant, Pt 2
    The Heartless Giant, Pt 3

This is an episode from Jim Henson's Storyteller, a show that I watched as a child.

For the longest time, I'd been plagued by an image from a movie that I couldn't remember. I had watched a "Making Of..." style documentary on PBS talking about animatronics and all that sort of thing, and I remember seeing a thing about an animatronic giant's arm picking up a boy. I couldn't remember what the movie was, or where that scene was from, or who directed it...nothing.

So, today, browsing through the last two pages of this thread, I came across some Muppets stuff (always good), and that got me thinking about Jim Henson and how awesome he was. So I dug through his Wikipedia bio, ran across the Storyteller section and thought it sounded vaguely familiar. On a whim, I thought I'd check out "The Heartless Giant" and BAM! - it was the freakin' mystery movie whose identity has been plaguing me for years.

So, thank you Internet, you've slightly unburdened my brain today.
  • edited September 2008
    Over fifteen years later and it still brings a big smile to my face.

It was actually a toss up of posting this one, the opening theme of waiting for the clock to strike three, or the closing epilogue song. In the end, have to go with Babs kicking some possum ass.
    Post edited by edifolco25 on
  • There's something of a story to this, so first, the link(s):

The Heartless Giant, Pt 1
    The Heartless Giant, Pt 2
    The Heartless Giant, Pt 3

This is an episode fromJim Henson's Storyteller, a show that I watched as a child.

For the longest time, I'd been plagued by an image from a movie that I couldn't remember. I had watched a "Making Of..." style documentary on PBS talking about animatronics and all that sort of thing, and I remember seeing a thing about an animatronic giant's arm picking up a boy. I couldn't remember what the movie was, or where that scene was from, or who directed it...nothing.

So, today, browsing through the last two pages of this thread, I came across some Muppets stuff (always good), and that got me thinking about Jim Henson and how awesome he was. So I dug through his Wikipedia bio, ran across theStorytellersection and thought it sounded vaguely familiar. On a whim, I thought I'd check out "The Heartless Giant" and BAM! - it was the freakin' mystery movie whose identity has been plaguing me for years.

So, thank you Internet, you've slightly unburdened my brain today.
    The same thing happened to me when I couldn't figure out the identity of a cartoon that I saw like a million years ago. The movie in question turned out to be Little Nemo: Adventures in Slumberland which I adored when I was a little kid. One day after much searching on the internets (this was before Wikipedia mind you) I finally ascertained the identity of the film and tried searching for it, but no stores or libraries carried it, so I figured I'd never see it again. When the advent of Youtube occurred, I immediately searched for it and the whole movie was uploaded. After seeing it again, I realized that it wasn't that bad of a movie. It was definitely geared toward kids, but I relived my childhood again. To this day, I watch it like every 4 months or so.
  • Non-circular gears and planetary gear
  • GeoGeo
    edited September 2008
    The three most accurate video adaptions of the fantastic videogame Earthbound. Note that the acting is intentionally bad which is what makes this series hilarious. Personally, I wouldn't have any other adaption of Earthbound any other way. Enjoy.

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

Part 4 will come out sometime this month and I will post it in the thing of the day thread.
    Post edited by Geo on
  • This interview with Brian Clevinger at Connecticon '06 always puts a smile to my face.

• Testing vimeo embed.
  • The things you can achieve with an infinite amount of man-power.
  • Paper slinkys!
  • Testing vimeo embed.
    Fritz Grobe, the one with the stubble, is a good friend of a good friend of mine. I've never met him though. I wish I could get paid to play with coke and mentos and paper and make cool videos.
  • That paper slinky movie was schweet, but the video embed kinda sucked. If I didn't move my mouse on it it would stop after a few seconds. ><;
  • That paper slinky movie was schweet, but the video embed kinda sucked. If I didn't move my mouse on it it would stop after a few seconds. ><;</p>
    Works for me without problems. Anyone else having trouble?
  • That paper slinky movie was schweet, but the video embed kinda sucked. If I didn't move my mouse on it it would stop after a few seconds. ><;</p>
    Works for me without problems. Anyone else having trouble?
    It won't play at all for me.
  • It won't play at all for me.
    What browsers are you people using and such?
  • Huh, there must have been something weird going on because it's working fine now. I'm using Firefox 3.
  • Worked great here from the start. :D Thanks Scott, I did not know EepyBird had made a new video, and have since watched a ton more videos of them. Post-it pinwheels, neat.
  • Goon City. As far as I can tell, this is filled with references and throwbacks to just about everything. I've found tons of stuff, but one thing in particular, is a guy running around going, "No, not the bees!"
  • Goon City. As far as I can tell, this is filled with references and throwbacks to just about everything. I've found tons of stuff, but one thing in particular, is a guy running around going, "No, not the bees!"
    I only found, "Oh dear lord! BEES!" And of course a lot of double references. Nice stuff though.
  • I only found, "Oh dear lord! BEES!" And of course a lot of double references. Nice stuff though.
    I found everything BUT the bees.
  • edited September 2008
    I'm in the same boat as Scott. I spent about twenty minutes looking around at all the stuff, and never found the bees. Though I did like seen Doc Manhattan. Oh, and that Starman hanging out by that sign.
    Post edited by Diddgery on
  • "Oh dear Lord! BEES!" is right next to GCPD.
  • edited September 2008
    Post edited by Coldguy on
  • Scott Pilgrim papercraft.
    Wow....Wonder when Rym is coming out?
  • Scott Pilgrim papercraft.
    Wow....Wonder when Rym is coming out?
    Laaaaaaaaammmme joke.