This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Weird things about you.

Comments

• I find it really, really uncomfortable to have people on my left side. If there are people on both sides, it's fine, but if it's just on the left, no way.
  • When I talk on the phone, I can't stand to keep still. Once I even had a phone conversation while hanging upside down from a tree.
  • edited November 2008
    The world viewed through my left eye is noticeably less saturated than viewed with my right. My right eye view is also slightly more orange.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • The world viewed through my left eye is noticeably less saturated than viewed with my right. My right eye is also slightly more orange.
    I've got something similar. I don't know if that's so unusual.
  • edited November 2008
    Whenever I listen to Sinatra while going down stairs, I often dance while going down the stairs. You know, like how they did it in those old musicals like White Christmas and Road to Bali. I know I must look stupid to people who can't hear the music, but I hope someday I can get enough people together and suddenly burst into a musical number in the middle of campus.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • I know it's probably a common thing here, but quite a few of my non-geeky friends find it disconcerting - I can type be typing something, and then if someone starts talking to me, I will look at them and converse, but I keep typing as I was before, without a noticeable increase in errors. When I tested, I only found a 4 wpm difference.
  • I am partially blind in my left eye.
  • Whenever I listen to Sinatra while going down stairs, I often dance while going down the stairs. You know, like how they did it in those old musicals like White Christmas and Road to Bali. I know I must look stupid to people who can't hear the music, but I hope someday I can get enough people together and suddenly burst into a musical number in the middle of campus.
    If you do that, you need somebody to record it and put it on Youtube. It sounds epic.
  • If you do that, you need somebody to record it and put it on Youtube. It sounds epic.
    Get a bunch of people doing it down an up escalator.
  • Actually, I was thinking of doing it here: Oviatt Library.
  • Whenever I'm pulling a number out of thin air (for humor or exaggeration or whatever), it's always a prime number. About 75% of the time, that number is 37.

I'll take this moment to clarify that I do legitimately have 37 cousins in Norway; I did not pull that 37 out of my ass. At least, it was 37 about 10 years ago, when I first learned about it.
  • edited November 2008
    Weird things about Emily

1. My three greatest childhood fears were backhoes, rabies, and appendicitis. I would jump up on something whenever a backhoe when past, but I was eventually cured by that when my mom made a anti-back hoe charm out of a seashell and some beads and hung it on my wall. I am still terrified of rabies.

2. I startle really easily. A cement mixer could come around the corner, or someone could drop a loading crate, or my coworker could sneeze really loud behind me and I will literally jump 2 feet in the air.

3. I like the way skunks, gasoline, and lake mud smells. However, I hate the smell of spit or sneezes. I have a really sensitive nose.

4. I laugh whenever I see pictures of raccoon or tanuki faces.

5. I can't concentrate on work unless my environment is organized and clean.

6. I will mentally apologize to inanimate objects if I perceive myself as having mistreated them (like leaving a bicycle out in the rain.)

7. I grew up across the street from a graveyard and liked to sit on the porch and watch funerals. I also had favorite gravestones that I would go visit, not because of the people, but because they were shaped cool.

8. I like to wedge myself into small alcoves and little cubby spaces. I think I am the opposite of claustrophobic.
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • 7. I grew up across the street from a graveyard and liked to sit on the porch and watch funerals. I also had favorite gravestones that I would go visit, not because of the people, but because they were shaped cool.
    That is so metal. \m/
  • edited November 2008
    My mother knew someone who had named his children by finding interesting names on grave stones.

Claustrophobic x -1 == Agoraphobic OR Chlostrophiliac ?

I don't understand how people making blankets haven't made a size above king for all the people who have to lie under one corner to corner just to fit. I am tall but not super super tall.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • 2. I startle really easily. A cement mixer could come around the corner, or someone could drop a loading crate, or my coworker could sneeze really loud behind me and I will literally jump 2 feet in the air.
    I'm the same way, and I really wish I wasn't, because this is a quirk that my father (and more recently one of my coworkers) loves to exploit.

I'm really OCD about the way groceries are organized in my shopping cart and on the converyor belt at the cash register. Everything has to be organized by type of item and size, and all the labels of the boxes have to be facing the same direction. If my groceries aren't organized on the conveyor belt just so, I freak out inside (I at least know that it's wierd, so I manage to avoid saying anything). Because of this, I love getting in line behind people with a ton of stuff in their cart, because the time it takes them to get all their stuff rung up and bagged is time I get to spend organizing my stuff.
  • I don't think its really OCD if it doesn't directly affect your life in a way that cripples your functions in society, so if you can restrain yourself from saying anything, it's not really OCD. The more I talk to people the more I notice, EVERYONE has those little idiosyncrasies. Myself, if the floor has an irregular pattern, I can't step on a row with the irregularity, or in a checkered floor, I only step on one color, etc. Also every time something touches my wrists, I must touch it again with the same part of my wrist an even number of times, if not, I feel like I leave a vain or something attached to it (I learned to stop doing that as I got older).
  • 6. I will mentally apologize to inanimate objects if I perceive myself as having mistreated them (like leaving a bicycle out in the rain.)
    I vocally apologize to inanimate objects if I perceive myself as having mistreated them (like accidentally assigning the routers DMZ to my windows 98 laptop. Poor lil guy.)

8. I like to wedge myself into small alcoves and little cubby spaces. I think I am the opposite of claustrophobic.
    I'm like that with closets.
  • I honestly love puns.
  • 8. I like to wedge myself into small alcoves and little cubby spaces.
    I do that too.
  • edited November 2008
    I vocally apologize to inanimate objects if I perceive myself as having mistreated them (like accidentally assigning the routers DMZ to my windows 98 laptop. Poor lil guy.)
    Me too. Especially my car. This is one of the reasons I name many of my appliances.
    Post edited by Nuri on
  • I vocalize my displeasure with inanimate objects. I never apologize or praise them. Smug little bastards don't deserve it.
  • Perhaps you are not as cruel to your objects as I am. Doing something like kicking my laptop off the recliner seems undeserved. Thus, I apologize in hopes that it will not retaliate with terrible hard drive failure.
  • I am double jointed and can lick my own nose. :P
  • edited November 2008
    I vocalize my displeasure with inanimate objects. I never apologize or praise them. Smug little bastards don't deserve it.
    I read on the side of a moving van that it is perfectly acceptable, required even, to curse at large piece of furniture. (The Fucker comes to mind. I like my couch, but dang is it heavy.)
    I don't think its really OCD if it doesn't directly affect your life in a way that cripples your functions in society, so if you can restrain yourself from saying anything, it's not really OCD.
    Everyone has compulsions to some extent. OCD does not necessarily cripple you socially, but it has other anxiety symptoms that go along with it. OCD is a very specific thing: People often describe things as OCD that aren't really. It's in the same class of psychological problems as anxiety attacks and severe phobias, and involves a similar part of your brain. OCD on Wiki

Edit: Templar, I just pictured Stitch eating boogers from his nose. Hah.
    Post edited by gomidog on
    I didn't know you could have a double jointed tongue. ;P
    I can unhinge my jaw. Not exactly the same but it comes in handy.
  • edited November 2008
    Plus, for anything to be classified as a disorder, it needs to affect your life is a very negative way. Examples: you can't work, procure food, or fulfill daily activities because of it.

I have a friend who has funny ticks and such, like having to eat food in 2's or having to have his desk arranged in a certain way. But, since he can survive if he doesn’t - he just feels odd - it isn't classified as a disorder by psychologists.

[Edit] Screw it I'm just not gonna post from work anymore. ^_^ I need my auto spell check.
    Post edited by Mosquitoboy on
    I can unhinge my jaw. Not exactly the same but it comes in handy.
    Oh, the setup.
  • I forgot, I also have to remove the label/tag/nutritional info from the bottle before drinking from it.
  • edited November 2008
    Make all the jokes you want. I am good in bed. The tongue thing and -EDIT- it's FANTASTIC. Being creative helps out too.

Edited for content. ^_^
    Post edited by Wyatt on