This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Rock Band

Comments

• DLC for Rock Band is finally out for the Wii, and they have some pretty good stuff for it's launch. There is still not Juke Box Hero, Still Alive, or Charlene (I'm Right Behind You), though.
  • The full set list for the Beatles: Rock Band is out:

Singles
    I Want To Hold Your Hand
    I Feel Fine
    Day Tripper
    Paperback Writer
    Revolution
    Don't Let Me Down

Please Please Me (1963)
    I Saw Her Standing There
    Boys
    Do You Want To Know A Secret
    Twist and Shout

With the Beatles (1963)
    I Wanna Be Your Man

A Hard Day's Night (1964)
    A Hard Day's Night
    Can't Buy Me Love

Beatles For Sale (1964)
    Eight Days a Week

Help! (1965)

Ticket To Ride

Rubber Soul (1965)
    Drive My Car
    I'm Looking Through You
    If I Needed Someone

Revolver (1966)
    Taxman
    Yellow Submarine
    And Your Bird Can Sing

Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (1967)
    Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band/With a Little Help From My Friends
    Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds
    Getting Better
    Good Morning Good Morning

Magical Mystery Tour (1967)
    I Am The Walrus
    Hello Goodbye

The Beatles (White Album) (1968)
    Dear Prudence
    Back In the U.S.S.R.
    While My Guitar Gently Weeps
    Birthday
    Helter Skelter

Yellow Submarine (1969)
    Hey Bulldog

Abbey Road (1969)
    Come Together
    Something
    Octopus's Garden
    I Want You (She's So Heavy)
    Here Comes the Sun

Let It Be (1970)
    Dig a Pony
    I Me Mine
    I Got a Feeling
    Get Back

Love (2006)
    Within You Without You/ Tomorrow Never Knows

It's a good set list, but I have noticed some glaring omissions. They have songs from the Magical Mystery Tour and Let it Be, but not the title tracks. There's no Happiness is a Warm Gun, Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite, Strawberry Fields Forever, or All You Need is Love. I begrudgingly understand that they will most likely be released as DLC in the future, but really. There's only 45 (or 43 if you count the / songs as 1) songs on the disc, and there was over 80 on Rock Band 2. There is plenty of room for more songs!
  • The reason its so low (song count wise) may be due to the deal they struck with Apple Records (aka The Beatles.) It's likely they have to pay them more for each song on the disc then they have in the past for songs in RB1 and RB2.
  • Yeah, licensing Beatles songs has gotta be expensive.
  • The reason its so low (song count wise) may be due to the deal they struck with Apple Records (aka The Beatles.)
    They said that they chose specific songs that would be fun to play in the game, rather than a wider selection or some of the other, more popular works.

That aside, their music is more encumbered by jackassery than most other music. I'm still surprised that this game was ever made.
  • I shall definitely be buying Rock Band: The Beatles. Not only do I love Rock Band, but I'll have to buy this game also because it just has amazing aesthetic and style to it. I mean, JUST LOOK at the trailers...

http://www.thebeatlesrockband.com/videos/trailer1
    http://www.thebeatlesrockband.com/videos/trailer2
    http://www.thebeatlesrockband.com/videos/trailer3

More stuff along with the game though, the albums "Rubber Soul", "Sgt. Peppers", and "Abbey Road" have all been confirmed to come out before the end of the year. So if you guys want a review of the game, I'll do it.
  • edited August 2010
    Well, Harmonix has released a few new tracks coming in Rock Band 3:

* Bob Marley & The Wailers, "Get Up, Stand Up" (Jamaica)
    * INXS, "Need You Tonight" (Australia)
    * Poni Hoax, "Antibodies" (France)
    * Rammstein, "Du Hast" in German (Germany)
    * Roxette, "The Look" (Sweden)
    * Tokio Hotel, "Humanoid" (Germany)
    * HIM, "Killing Loneliness" (Finland)
    * Maná, "Oye Mi Amor" in Spanish (Mexico)
    * Slipknot, "Before I Forget" (United States)
    * War, "Low Rider" (United States)

Fuck yes for Bob Marley, but why, why, why the fuck do I have to be subjected to Tokio Hotel again? They are definitely going with an international flair though which I approve of. Just make sure you include Mad Machine!
    I also hope they don't chart the fuck out of Before I forget like Neversoft did in GH3. That chart is just shit.
    Post edited by chaosof99 on
  • All I care about right now is Bohemian Rhapsody, Cold as Ice, and Power of Love. They will most definitely be my warm-up songs.

Also, I will be switching to the XBox 360 version when this comes out. Sure that means buying new instruments, but the Wii's lack of patching will mean that I won't be able to play any songs from Rock Band 1 or 2 with the keyboard (eventually).
  • My music games have been collecting dust. It is definitely past its peak as a genre, and I know I should save my money, but RB3 and the keyboard controller do look really, really fun.
  • My music games have been collecting dust. It is definitely past its peak as a genre
    One way to tell is the decreased interest in the tournaments and sets at conventions. Also, I note that there were like two DDR machines left on the Wildwood boardwalk, but several mostly unused Guitar Hero machines. Once they start cropping up all over the midwest, you will know it's done.
  • My music games have been collecting dust. It is definitely past its peak as a genre
    One way to tell is the decreased interest in the tournaments and sets at conventions. Also, I note that there were like two DDR machines left on the Wildwood boardwalk, but several mostly unused Guitar Hero machines. Once they start cropping up all over the midwest, you will know it's done.
    The thing is they were able to keep it alive with innovation. They switched from dancing to guitars, that kept it going. They added the rest of the band, kept it going. Then they reached a point where all they were doing was adding songs, then it died. If they had been able to keep adding more and mixing it up, they could have kept it going.
  • If they had been able to keep adding more and mixing it up, they could have kept it going.
    There's a limit, though, without stepping into the realm of actual performance. Like DDR, I believe only a small hardcore minority of players enjoyed the challenge. The rest played for other reasons. Raise the bar, and they lose interest. All genres are self-limiting in this regard.

At least DDR is mildly interesting to watch. Watching GH is like watching a typing competition, and watching Rock Band is like watching one dude sing karaoke while three other people engage in a typing competition. DDR is also at least actual exercise, while GH/RB are at best carpel tunnel syndrome accelerators.

• * INXS, "Need You Tonight" (Australia)
    * Poni Hoax, "Antibodies" (France)
    * Rammstein, "Du Hast" in German (Germany)
    * Roxette, "The Look" (Sweden)
    * Tokio Hotel, "Humanoid" (Germany)
    * HIM, "Killing Loneliness" (Finland)
    * Maná, "Oye Mi Amor" in Spanish (Mexico)
    * Slipknot, "Before I Forget" (United States)
    I have no idea what any of these songs are.
  • I have no idea what any of these songs are.
    WHAT? At the very least you should know Rammstein.

Also, it is good that you do not know HIM.
    YouTube playlist for your convenience.
  • edited August 2010
    Delayed joke.

This is the only HIM you should know.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • I never understood what the fuck he was supposed to be.
  • Crossdressing Satan
    YouTube playlistfor your convenience.
    That is one badass playlist.
  • edited August 2010
    My music games have been collecting dust. It is definitely past its peak as a genre
    Also, I note that there were like two DDR machines left on the Wildwood boardwalk, but several mostly unused Guitar Hero machines.
    I have NEVER understood the point of paying to play some Guitar Hero at the boardwalk! At least with DDR you were paying to play on the real dance pad. You could only get that at home if you were really crafty or spent a lot of money. With GH you are paying to play on a crappy version of the guitar that is probably broken!

If they had been able to keep adding more and mixing it up, they could have kept it going.
    At least DDR is mildly interesting to watch. Watching GH is like watching a typing competition, and watching Rock Band is like watching one dude sing karaoke while three other people engage in a typing competition. DDR is also at least actual exercise, while GH/RB are at best carpel tunnel syndrome accelerators.
    ROCK BAND 4 now with TYPING ATTACHEMENT. If you can't sing, just treat the lyrics like a typing competition! Typos count as missed notes. Also, great for handicap accessability! Wait for it. Maybe it will even come with a mixer so that someone can play as the crusty old audio dude at the venue!

I'm sure it's not burning off nearly as many calories as DDR, and it can't help that the 3rd floor in my house is a converted attic space that hits 85 degrees on a nice day, but I work up a crazy sweat after drumming on expert for a while.
    Post edited by Matt on
  • WHAT? At the very least you should know Rammstein.
    That's why I said songs and not bands. I know the band, just not any of their songs.
  • ROCK BAND 4 now with TYPING ATTACHEMENT. If you can't sing, just treat the lyrics like a typing competition! Typos count as missed notes. Also, great for handicap accessability! Wait for it. Maybe it will even come with a mixer so that someone can play as the crusty old audio dude at the venue!
    I know of a certain podcaster who'd strongly approve of that.
  • Somewhat related to this thread.... Although CS is seen as somewhat of a red headed stepchild at my company, our departments team won this years company Battle of the (Rock) Bands while playing Du Hast into the finals. =D Hot damn, do I love that song! The lyrics sound silly in English, IMO, though. I'm glad we're finally getting it in German.
  • ROCK BAND 4 now with TYPING ATTACHEMENT. If you can't sing, just treat the lyrics like a typing competition!
    Finally a game with some practical use for a court stenographer!
  • ROCK BAND 4 now with TYPING ATTACHEMENT. If you can't sing, just treat the lyrics like a typing competition!
    Finally a game with some practical use for a rock stenographer!
  • I know the band, just not any of their songs.
    "Du Hast" was Rammstein's first major hit in the US. Then again, that was in 1997 or 98. It was a different time, you see.
    Like DDR, I believe only a small hardcore minority of players enjoyed the challenge.
    Well, both games have levels of challenge. Different players just play to different levels of challenge. The small minority are the ones who play to mastery, or as close to mastery as they can get, so those are the ones who enjoy the maximum possible level of challenge.

I think the real issue with the instrument games is that while they tap into the universal desire to be a rock star, they don't actually give you the satisfaction of doing so, at least not after enough time. You're then left with what is effectively social hour, and honestly, you can just get drunk and sing along to Journey instead of playing Rock Band; you'll save yourself the cost of the game and accessories and probably have just as much fun.

The satisfaction of being able to play an instrument is in your ability to to create your own music; since the games don't actually allow that, you'll never achieve true satisfaction. If they allowed some kind of custom song-writing mode a la Mario Paint, I bet they'd have a longer lifespan.
  • If they allowed some kind of custom song-writing mode a la Mario Paint, I bet they'd have a longer lifespan.
    Guitar Hero 5 has this.
  • DDR is also at least actual exercise, while GH/RB are at best carpel tunnel syndrome accelerators.
    While I'll agree for the guitar of the first few games(obviously not such an issue with drums) however, apparently the next Rockband is coming out with MIDI controller compatibility - ie, you can use a MIDI controller Guitar to play it, though if it will only be the one they're putting out as an option, or any MIDI controller guitar remains to be seen - and apparently, either includes a mode that teaches you guitar as you play the game, or it's structured so that you can learn guitar from playing it naturally from easy through to extreme, I've heard both.

Call me when they make a DDR that teaches you how to dance, yeah? ;)
  • Guitar Hero 5 has this.
    OK, that's actually pretty neat.
  • DDR is also at least actual exercise, while GH/RB are at best carpel tunnel syndrome accelerators.
    You sir have obviously never played Run to the Hills on expert drums. Or any hard drum song for that matter.