This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Rock Band

Comments

• You sir have obviously never played Run to the Hills on expert drums. Or any hard drum song for that matter.
    Shit, Doesn't that half make you sweat.
  • edited August 2010
    You sir have obviously never played Run to the Hills on expert drums. Or any hard drum song for that matter.
    I am known to keep a sweat rag next to me when playing drums for a while. And even if you're some freak of nature that doesn't sweat, a lot of those songs will make your arms fucking burn.
    Post edited by theknoxinator on
  • You sir have obviously never played Run to the Hills on expert drums. Or any hard drum song for that matter.
    I am known to keep a sweat rag next to me when playing drums for a while. And even if you're some freak of nature that does sweat, a lot of those songs will make your armsfucking burn.
    ^Fucking this^ I cite the one time I beat War Ensemble on expert drums. I 'bout fell out of my chair once that song ended.
  • edited August 2010
    In all fairness, I mostly like Rock Band 3's setlist. I think half of it is pure gold and I really think they will deliver in terms of giving drums, keyboards, and real-guitar fun stuff to play. I mean, there are really going full out in terms of content to teach you how to play these instruments. Recently, people have been kind of sketchy towards Harmonix because their DLC has been a little weak lately and the last 15 songs to come out for Rock Band 3, are questionable decisions. (Except David Bowie's Space Oddity) I can really see how they want to bring out the joy of playing keyboards and singing harmonies, but I feel like they need to do some more promotion to us. Prove to us that keyboards are going to rock. Show us how even these foreign language songs will be fun to play on these instruments. Activision is really stepping up their game with all the tweaks and setlist choices that they made, I just don't want Harmonix's hard work to be ignored because a similar game is coming out sooner.

This trailer immediately makes you go "Oooh! I wanna play some Hendrix and Them Crooked Vultures!" You have to be more choosy with what you allow into a core setlist. They've been rather quiet with the big announcements, but I really think they just need to do more advertising how this game will be a mind-blowing experience. I think Rock Band 2's setlist is nearly perfect except for a few glaring songs, but I believe that it's proof that if you are going to go with more obscure songs, they need to deliver. I just don't want these guys to spread themselves too thin trying to have universal appeal.
    Delayed joke.

This is the only HIM you should know.
    Scott, you are granted a free webernets for that response. XD
    Post edited by Nukerjsr on
  • So...nearly the whole setlist got announced to day. The following are to be added to the list.

Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers - I Need to Know
    Riverboat Gamblers - Don't Bury Me... I'm Still Not Dead
    The Bronx - False Alarm
    Lynyrd Skynyrd - Free Bird
    Blondie - Heart of Glass
    The Who - I Can See for Miles
    James Brown - I Got You (I Feel Good)
    John Lennon - Imagine
    Big Country - In a Big Country
    Primus - Jerry Was a Race Car Driver
    Dover - King George
    The Raveonettes - Last Dance
    The Sounds - Living in America
    Phish - Llama
    Paramore - Misery Business
    At the Drive-in - One Armed Scissor
    The Muffs - Outer Space
    Golden Earring - Radar Love
    Elton John - Saturday Night's Alright (For Fighting)
    Deep Purple - Smoke on the Water
    Pretty Girls Make Graves - Something Bigger, Something Brighter
    Echo and the Bunny Men - The Killing Moon
    Swingin' Utters - This Bastard's Life
    Hypernova - Viva la Resistance
    Dire Straits - Walk of Life
    Flaming Lips - Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots, Pt. 1
    Amy Winehouse – Rehab
    Devo – Whip It
    Queens Of The Stone Age – No One Knows
    Steve Miller Band – Fly Like An Eagle
    Tegan and Sara – The Con
    The Beach Boys – Good Vibrations (Live)
    The Police – Don’t Stand So Close To Me
    The Ramones – I Wanna Be Sedated
    The Smiths – Stop Me If You’ve Heard This One Before
    Warren Zevon – Werewolves Of London

To be honest, I'm a little underwhelmed over the whole situation. No question, we have some real winners here and some great new bands who haven't appeared in rhythm gaming yet. However, a lot of these songs are repeats that have appeared in a game before and there's also a large chunk of unknowns. So, I think a final verdict can only be appropriate around the time they game comes out.
  • Oh sweet zombie jesus. Jerry was a Race Car Driver, I wanna be sedated, Free Bird, Whip It, and King George. Also, the Swingin Utters with a song I don't know yet. Gotta go update my YouTube playlist.
  • Who is HIM (the band), and why do you hate them so much, Scott? Just wondering.

Also, I think the Guitar Hero franchise should just die already. Rock Band is the most prevalent, is far more supported, and is actually doing something a bit different for the next generation.
  • Who is HIM (the band), and why do you hate them so much, Scott? Just wondering.
    It's just a band, and I don't really hate them. They just suck.
  • Just watched a video of them. The lead singer looks/sounds obnoxious.

Also, I think the Guitar Hero franchise should just die already. Rock Band is the most prevalent, is far more supported, and is actually doing something a bit different for the next generation.
    Actually, as much as I adore Harmonix and this setlist, Guitar Hero is really bringing out the big guns with Guitar Hero 6: Warriors of Rock's setlist. Rock Band 3 setlist is very diverse and offers great benefits with pro guitar, pro bass, and keyboards. However, GH6's setlist is filled with guilty pleasure goodness and amazing selection with great difficult.

This will probably be the year where I buy BOTH games from the two franchises.
  • edited August 2010
    I slightly disagree with you here, Nukejsr. The GH6 list has some really good songs, but the problem I see with it is that it offers virtually nothing new. Almost the entire GH6 setlist is already available or will be with the release of RB3 either as the same song or basically equivalent songs in the Rock Band series due to backwards compatibility and downloadable content. There are only two songs that remotely tempt me to buy GH6 and those are "Indians" by Anthrax and "We're not gonna take it" by Twisted Sister, two bands that are not available on Rock Band in any form and judging by their popularity or status in the Rock scene, that's really only a matter of time. The Megadeth songs are also nice, but I already own two Megadeth Albums as Rock Band DLC.

Rock Band simply dwarfs the music library of Guitar Hero. RB had already hit 1000 dlc songs at the end of 2009 while at the start of GH6, the GH series will only have 300 available. And that is coming from someone who doesn't even have access to Rock Band Network yet (please HMX, open that up to me soon). Also, Rock Band 3 does have songs I really, really want to have, such as Free Bird, King George, Living in America, Rainbow in the Dark, The Power of Love, Bohemian Rhapsody (though this is a draw), Roundabout, Crazy Train, Jerry was a Race Car Driver, etc.

And with the overcharting I know of Neversoft I'm probably gonna save my money for when they open up RBN, though I may pick it up some time down the line for a bargain bin price.
    Post edited by chaosof99 on
  • Crazy Train
    How in the hell did I miss this announcement? Crazy Train is one of my favourite songs ever.

Well, looks like there's another one to add to my warm-up setlist.
  • I slightly disagree with you here, Nukejsr. The GH6 list has some really good songs, but the problem I see with it is that it offers virtually nothing new. Almost the entire GH6 setlist is already available or will be with the release of RB3 either as the same song or basically equivalent songs in the Rock Band series due to backwards compatibility and downloadable content. There are only two songs that remotely tempt me to buy GH6 and those are "Indians" by Anthrax and "We're not gonna take it" by Twisted Sister, two bands that are not available on Rock Band in any form and judging by their popularity or status in the Rock scene, that's really only a matter of time. The Megadeth songs are also nice, but I already own two Megadeth Albums as Rock Band DLC.

Rock Band simply dwarfs the music library of Guitar Hero. RB had already hit 1000 dlc songs at the end of 2009 while at the start of GH6, the GH series will only have 300 available. And that is coming from someone who doesn't even have access to Rock Band Network yet (please HMX, open that up to me soon). Also, Rock Band 3 does have songs I really, really want to have, such as Free Bird, King George, Living in America, Rainbow in the Dark, The Power of Love, Bohemian Rhapsody (though this is a draw), Roundabout, Crazy Train, Jerry was a Race Car Driver, etc.

And with the overcharting I know of Neversoft I'm probably gonna save my money for when they open up RBN, though I may pick it up some time down the line for a bargain bin price.
    I do agree with that, in terms that BOTH games have good amounts of repeats on both sides. And I'm a bit more into Rock Band just for the level of diversity and new options it's going to give. GH6 I believe, it doesn't offer anything really new, but I atleast think that Neversoft is willing to go over-the-top and outrageous with Guitar Hero like they should of. I'm entertained for the fact that they are making the game more casual with how they changed the character set up, so it can still be really hard while an okay Expert player like me can still play it. (And they added some Virtuosos in the setlist.)

There's just been a lot of question-ability for me over how much Harmonix will succeed with Rock Band 3. Guitar Hero has always gone the safe route and have had the name recognition more, even though Rock Band is superior. I just hope that this project totally succeeds for them.

• So...keyboard preview.

FUCK, I can't wait to play that. Especially if I can set up a mike stand, and play it Elton John style.
  • Well, they announced the full setlist officially about a week ago (and I pretty much found exactly when they cut off my internet connection, see fail of the day thread), and just as I suspected: Anthrax with Caught in a Mosh is on it too.
  • Well fuck me. They're going to put out the Bob Marley & The Wailers Greatest Hits collection "Legend" out on Rock Band this coming Tuesday.
  • Words cannot describe how much I want Rock Band 3. I might buy a Wii just so I can buy Rock Band 3.
  • Words cannot describe how much I want Rock Band 3. I might buy a Wii just so I can buy Rock Band 3.
    Don't. Buy an XBox or a PS3 if you must and this is the sole reason. Wii has craptacular DLC support (though it has been getting better).
  • Don't. Buy an XBox or a PS3 if you must and this is the sole reason. Wii has craptacular DLC support (though it has been getting better).
    This. I'd be kicking myself up and down the street if I hadn't gone for the PS3 version. With me and my hundreds of DLC tracks ^_^
  • Rock Band got Dio's "Holy Diver" earlier this week. Go out and buy it, it has epic guitar and vocals, and surprisingly, drums. (It's Fill-Tastic!) The 360 is the best console for Rock Band in terms of the size of the online community and access to DLC. The Rock Band Network seems to side more with Microsoft, as 360 Owners get access to all Rock Band Network tracks to demo and try. (And we get a big artist from time to time as well). PS3 owners get a 5-song weekly "Best Of" from Rock Band Network. Also to PS3 owners, starting next week, there will be a sale on selected DLC Tracks until October 4th. These include:

R.E.M – Losing My Religion (now $0.99, original price $1.99)
    Flyleaf – Again (now $0.99, original price $1.99)
    Avenged Sevenfold – Bat Country (now $0.99, original price $1.99)
    The Runaways – Cherry Bomb (now $0.99, original price $1.99)
    Anberlin – Feel Good Drag (now $0.99, original price $1.99)
    Stone Temple Pilots – Interstate Love Song (now $0.99, original price $1.99)
    Jane’s Addiction Nothing’s Shocking Album (now $7.99, original price $15.99)
    Megadeth Rust in Peace (now $7.49, original price $14.99)
    Pantera The Great Southern Trendkill Album (now $7.99, original price $15.99)
    Rush Moving Pictures Album (now $5.49, original price $10.99)
    Slipknot 01 Track Pack (now $2.99, original price $5.49)
    Night Ranger 01 Track Pack (now $2.99, original price $5.49)
    Foreigner 01 Track Pack (now $2.99, original price $5.49)
    Rise Against 01 Track Pack (now $2.99, original price $5.49)
    The Offspring 01 Track Pack (now $2.99, original price $5.49)
    The White Stripes 02 Track Pack (now $2.99, original price $5.49)
    Nine Inch Nails 01 Track Pack (now $2.99, original price $5.49)
    Foo Fighters 03 Track Pack (now $3.49, original price $6.99)
    REO Speedwagon/Styx Tour ’09 Track Pack (now $5.49, original price $10.99)
    Creedence Clearwater Revival 01 Track Pack (now $9.99, original price $19.99)
  • So Rock Band 3.

Usually I would have no interest, as I'm so done with plastic instrument games.

However, they are adding pro mode. That means you play with a real guitar. Now, they are selling a special Rock Band Pro Guitar for $150. It has a button for every string and fret on a guitar, and six "strings". So it's pretty close to a real guitar, but not. Also, for $150 you can get an actual guitar. Yet, they also are going to sell an actual real guitar that also happens to be able to play the game. Depending on the price of that, I may go for it.
  • Depending on the price of that, I may go for it.
    Me as well.

I'd love Trumpet Hero or Harmonica Hero, but I don't need them to learn things I already know how to play. As my instructor explained when I was forced to attempt the cello, "You have stupid fingers. Probably from playing the trumpet for so long. I'd suggest you avoid stringed instruments for the remainder of your musical career."

As music is no longer my career...
  • Trumpet Hero
    We don't need to pad trumpet players' egos any more by giving them a game with "hero" in the title.
  • edited October 2010
    Well, I'm going to pick up RB3 when it comes out, since I'm not sick of plastic instrument games yet :)

Anyway, I believe the reason why we haven't seen any wind instruments yet is simply the spit issue. Normally wind instruments would seem like a perfect fit, since the finger motions are by far closer to button presses than on let's say a guitar. I also don't think that is an issue that can be overcome by building the instrument. People probably wouldn't buy them as much as they are less popular and perhaps also seen as gross. I would love Ska Band as a game though.
    Post edited by chaosof99 on
  • I will definitely be buying the MIDI instrument adapter when it comes out to hook up my keyboard and play in pro keys mode. I was probably going to do this anyway but the decision was locked when Billy Joel DLC pack was announced.
  • edited October 2010
    Anyway, I believe the reason why we haven't seen any wind instruments yet is simply the spit issue. Normally wind instruments would seem like a perfect fit, since the finger motions are by far closer to button presses than on let's say a guitar. I also don't think that is an issue that can be overcome by building the instrument. People probably wouldn't buy them as much as they are less popular and perhaps also seen as gross. I would love Ska Band as a game though.
    They could do something like putting a little mic where the mouthpiece would be so that, rather than putting your mouth directly on the instrument/controller, you just blow on it. There's still be a little unsanitaryness to deal with, but it's no more unsanitary than passing around a regular game controller in a room with ten sweaty dudes.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • I don't really like using a microphone to detect blowing. Why don't they use some really small anemometer?
  • Even without the Pro mode, I would've picked it up anyway just for the new songs and features that make it even easier to use. That's the nice thing about the way they did these games, each game is more like buying a huge patch with a bunch of DLC added onto it. Once you have the new one, you don't need to use the old one anymore. But with Pro mode, I fully intend to learn as much about each instrument as possible. I've been doing faux Pro drums for over a year so that won't change much, but I'm stoked to do real guitar and keyboards.
  • If I buy Rockband 3 without already having 1 or 2, does that mean I won't have the 1/2 songs? If I go grab some cheap used copies of 1/2 can I just load up all the songs off the discs? How does this work?
  • edited October 2010
    If I buy Rockband 3 without already having 1 or 2, does that mean I won't have the 1/2 songs? If I go grab some cheap used copies of 1/2 can I just load up all the songs off the discs? How does this work?
    For transfer Rock Band 1 songs to 2, you only need used copies, 400 MSP, and a connection to Xbox Live. You basically buy a "License" to transfer the songs, so you download them all on your hard drive. The same applies for PS3. No real information on transfer of Rock Band 2 songs to 3, but it will happen. It will cost 10 dollars though, but you get 84 songs and they will get Pro-Drums. The only benefit of getting an original copy of Rock Band 2, is that you will also get a Free 20-DLC pack of various indie bands.

If you want to get an extra amount of songs, there's also Lego: Rock Band, but that's only if you really love some of the songs. But it's dirt cheap now on Amazon, like 20 dollars, if that.
    I will definitely be buying the MIDI instrument adapter when it comes out to hook up my keyboard and play in pro keys mode. I was probably going to do this anyway but the decision was locked when Billy Joel DLC pack was announced.
    That Billy Joel DLC got extended too. It's now going to be 18 songs, just 12 this year, and 6 in Spring 2011 (Said to be a Piano-based Pack). And not only will you learn guitar, but pro bass, pro keyboard, and pro drums are really tempting. It's specifically prove that drum skill from these video games does pass on.

Also, a small taste to prep you all for Rock Band 3...the music videos really are epic now.

Post edited by Nukerjsr on