This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Rock Band

Comments

• I did it. I pre-ordered "the real guitar" (from Best Buy) and also the MIDI adapter (from Amazon.com).

I figure this is a Nintendo DS situation. Either it will be awesome, or it will be so bad, like the Power Glove. If you bought a Power Glove when it was new, you were disappointed as all hell. But if you own a Power Glove now, so bad! So if this thing doesn't work out, it will be an artifact that I can show off in a few years.
  • Good way to think about it
  • I already pre-order it today :D
  • I already pre-order it today :D
    If it sucks, we suck together.
  • If it sucks, we suck together.
    So to speak.
  • edited December 2010
    So, I got the guitar but I wonder what version of the game should I get since we own a Wii and a PS3 at the house. I am thinking on the Wii since it is in the basement and it would be less annoying for everyone if I really suck in the beginning. :O
    For the wii owners, how is the Rock Band gaming experience in the Wii. I own the Beatles Rock Band for the PS3 and it is pretty awesome.
    Post edited by Erwin on
  • So, I got the guitar but I wonder what version of the game should I get since we own a Wii and a PS3 at the house. I am thinking on the Wii since it is in the basement and it would be less annoying for everyone if I really suck in the beginning. :O
    For the wii owners, how is the Rock Band gaming experience in the Wii. I own the Beatles Rock Band for the PS3 and it is pretty awesome.
    I don't think the pro stratocaster is going to work with the Wii. You should check on that.
  • I did it. I pre-ordered "the real guitar" (from Best Buy) and also the MIDI adapter (from Amazon.com).
    What is this "real guitar" that you speak of? My googling has not produced results that I feel are correct.
  • I was just assuming that it might work since Mad Catz is also releasing the MIDI Pro adapter for the Wii., since the guitar is the same for all systems.
  • edited December 2010
    I was just assuming that it might work since Mad Catz is also releasing theMIDI Pro adapter for the Wii., since the guitar is the same for all systems.
    Oh, I didn't see that. But doesn't the Wii always have really inferior Rock Band DLC? You're going to want that, I think, since you'll be wanting to download lots of new songs when they add Pro Guitar to them.
    I did it. I pre-ordered "the real guitar" (from Best Buy) and also the MIDI adapter (from Amazon.com).
    What is this "real guitar" that you speak of? My googling has not produced results that I feel are correct.
    http://www.fender.com/features/rockband3/
    Post edited by Apreche on
    Real guitar is real!
  • http://www.fender.com/features/rockband3/
    Wow, that's really cool. Hope that actually works well.
  • http://www.fender.com/features/rockband3/
    Wow, that's really cool. Hope that actually works well.
  • I was just assuming that it might work since Mad Catz is also releasing theMIDI Pro adapter for the Wii., since the guitar is the same for all systems.
    Oh, I didn't see that. But doesn't the Wii always have really inferior Rock Band DLC? You're going to want that, I think, since you'll be wanting to download lots of new songs when they add Pro Guitar to them.
    The Wii used to be really bad about DLC, but it's gotten to the point where there's little difference anymore (unless you want Rock Band Network stuff, Wii is the worst there). I still recommend the PS3 version though just because I personally find the purchasing process on the Wii to be a pain in the ass. Memory is also an issue if you plan to get a bunch. A big hard drive works better than, potentially, multiple SD cards.
  • edited December 2010
    Well, it looks like Harmonix has been sold, and is now an independent entity again. I wonder who bought it, or did they buy themselves? What does this mean for the real guitar the future of Rock Band in general?

My Wii Guitar Hero guitar is a useless piece of plastic. It's even worse than those for other consoles, since it requires you stick a Wiimote inside of it. At least the ones for other consoles have controller hardware in them. At least the real guitar becomes a real MIDI guitar if Rock Band fails. Granted, it's a very overpriced one if there's no video games for it to play.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Well, it looks like Harmonix has been sold, and is now an independent entity again. I wonder who bought it, or did they buy themselves? What does this mean for the real guitar the future of Rock Band in general?

My Wii Guitar Hero guitar is a useless piece of plastic. It's even worse than those for other consoles, since it requires you stick a Wiimote inside of it. At least the ones for other consoles have controller hardware in them. At least the real guitar becomes a real MIDI guitar if Rock Band fails. Granted, it's a very overpriced one if there's no video games for it to play.
    I had that same controller. It sucked and drained battery power like nuts. But I can give you some solace, that the Squier is strong, responsive hardware. I think that Rock Band realtar is still going to stay strong, considering the level and the amount of money they are getting from current DLC sales. They are promising the older tracks will get a revamp off Pro-Guitar and Harmony/Key support. (Like they have been doing, with Bon Jovi and Queen)

I also have to ask, has anyone else been playing keys? I haven't suffeciently moved up to Pro Keys, but I'm having loads of fun with just Expert Keys in general. I think The Doors have the best Keys in general, (Light My Fire being the best song), and Lynyrd Skynyrd is second. Tuesday's Gone is amazing on Keys. Any other nominations? Along with that, singles-wise, I can totally recommend "Subdivisions" and "The Thrill is Gone."

And small victory, getting 5 stars on "Walk of Life" and getting 4 stars on "Touch Me" and "Saturday Night's Alright for Fighting." I just the leaderboards didn't include people who played Key charts on Guitar.
  • But I can give you some solace, that theSquier is strong, responsive hardware.
    Solace received.
  • But I can give you some solace, that theSquier is strong, responsive hardware.
    Solace received.
    From all my poking around at various metal forums over the years, I believe the general consensus is that the Squier is a perfectly fine entry-level guitar and, with enough experience, can still perform decently when you get to higher levels of proficiency.

I'm contemplating this real guitar business. I've never had the discipline to practice an instrument every day, but attaching a game to it might be just the motivation I need.
  • I'm contemplating this real guitar business. I've never had the discipline to practice an instrument every day, but attaching agameto it might be just the motivation I need.
    If enough people do it, and we all master the same song, we can have a whole bunch of guitars playing simultaneously at PAX. Or perhaps we can get some accompaniment on our PAX East Bohemian Rhapsody tradition. Will it live on?
  • I'm contemplating this real guitar business. I've never had the discipline to practice an instrument every day, but attaching agameto it might be just the motivation I need.
    If enough people do it, and we all master the same song, we can have a whole bunch of guitars playingsimultaneouslyat PAX. Or perhaps we can get some accompaniment on our PAX East Bohemian Rhapsody tradition. Will it live on?
    That'd be pretty awesome actually. Just someone needs to take up bass or keyboard duty for that stuff, because guitar doesn't do a lot. But I remember when the floor demos of Rock Band 3 were out, that was the one song everyone was playing, even with the other strong announced songs at the time. So I have a good feeling that tradition will stay.
  • I took several years of piano lessons when I was younger, which helped me in getting pro keys down on hard (favorite song: Bon Jovi's Runaway on DLC). Expert is too hard for now, simply because of the speed at which the notes scroll. I'd be down for playing keys at PAX East.
  • I just check my credit card account and it looks like it has being charged with the "real guitar" when I pre-order it it told me that they would charge me when it would be ready to ship. Part of me knows that this is a mistake but part of me wants to believe that I might get it before new year :O
  • I just check my credit card account and it looks like it has being charged with the "real guitar" when I pre-order it it told me that they would charge me when it would be ready to ship. Part of me knows that this is a mistake but part of me wants to believe that I might get it before new year :O
    Yeah, I was pretty sure they were going to ship in February/March, but according to that article there are demo units in Best Buy stores already. Makes me very curious as to the true shipping date.
  • edited December 2010
    I just check my credit card account and it looks like it has being charged with the "real guitar" when I pre-order it it told me that they would charge me when it would be ready to ship. Part of me knows that this is a mistake but part of me wants to believe that I might get it before new year :O
    Yeah, I was pretty sure they were going to ship in February/March, but according to that article there are demo units in Best Buy stores already. Makes me very curious as to the true shipping date.
    This explains the charge a little. But why put a hold 3 months in advance?
    Post edited by Erwin on
  • I've started playing some of the Bass On-Disk songs of Rock Band 3. I played Llama, No One Knows, and Jerry Was A Race Car Driver. I think I'm now missing some cartilage between my fingers...
  • I've started playing some of the Bass On-Disk songs of Rock Band 3. I played Llama, No One Knows, and Jerry Was A Race Car Driver. I think I'm now missing some cartilage between my fingers...
    Personally, I think Jerry was a Race Car Driver on bass is the hardest guitar/bass song on the disc. The main pattern in the song just breaks my hand.
  • edited December 2010
    I've started playing some of the Bass On-Disk songs of Rock Band 3. I played Llama, No One Knows, and Jerry Was A Race Car Driver. I think I'm now missing some cartilage between my fingers...
    Personally, I think Jerry was a Race Car Driver on bass is the hardest guitar/bass song on the disc. The main pattern in the song just breaks my hand.
    Yeah, how is Jerry NOT devil/final tier? Many of the devil bass songs are easier than it. Llama hurt my fingers too, but I five starred it and I believe it hurt because you have to do so many double orange strums.
    Post edited by Nukerjsr on
  • I just got an e-mail informing me that it will be release 3/01/2011
    I have one month and a half to practice keys then :P
  • I just got an e-mail informing me that it will be release 3/01/2011
    I have one month and a half to practice keys then :P
    I got the same e-mail. I also got an e-mail from Amazon that says the MIDI adapter will ship at the end of February. Which will get here first? Will I be stuck with one and not the other?
  • I haven't even order my midi adapter yet, I should get on that.