This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Rock Band

Comments

• If I buy Rockband 3 without already having 1 or 2, does that mean I won't have the 1/2 songs? If I go grab some cheap used copies of 1/2 can I just load up all the songs off the discs? How does this work?
    For transfer Rock Band 1 songs to 2, you only need used copies, 400 MSP, and a connection to Xbox Live. You basically buy a "License" to transfer the songs, so you download them all on your hard drive. The same applies for PS3. No real information on transfer of Rock Band 2 songs to 3, but it will happen. It will cost 10 dollars though, but you get 84 songs and they will get Pro-Drums. The only benefit of getting an original copy of Rock Band 2, is that you will also get a Free 20-DLC pack of various indie bands.
    Basically this. If you can find someone who has the two games, just borrow the discs and then get the license keys from XBL to download the songs onto the HDD. And as Nuke said, there's no confirmed transfer for RB2 yet, but there's no way they won't do it, just a matter of whether any songs will be left out.
  • If you are planning on buying RB3 and are willing to pay full price, I'd recommend doing it early. For the first week after release, Harmonix is offering a greatest hits selection by The Doors as free DLC to early adopters. The specific songs are listed here.

I remember that the export function of RB1 was patched in the day, or perhaps the week ahead of the release of RB2. I'm guessing the export patch for RB2 will be released soon.
  • You had to go and pick 25 or 6 to 4? Now Rym is going to be even sadder there is no horns mode.
  • edited October 2010
    Almost forgot. There are a few songs you can't export from RB1. They are:
    * Enter Sandman by Metallica, probably because of contractual obligations Metallica has to Activision. There is a Metallica DLC pack though, with ...and Justice for All, Blackened and Ride the Lightning, and there's Battery in Rock Band 2.
    * Paranoid by Black Sabbath, which was only a cover version. There's a Black Sabbath DLC pack consisting of N.I.B., Sweet Leaf and War Pigs, but those songs are all covers too.
    * Run to the Hills by Iron Maiden, which was also a cover version. The song has since been released in its original version though, and 11 other Iron Maiden songs are available as DLC too. There's a cover of The Number of the Beast available too, but why buy that when there's the original.

If you had the european version, you could also not export Monsoon by Tokyo Hotel, a song nobody fucking wanted anyway.
    Post edited by chaosof99 on
  • NOTE: You can only import songs on the 360 or PS3 versions. That's one of the reasons I'm getting rid of my Wii version and upgrading to the 360.
  • NOTE: You can only import songs on the 360 or PS3 versions. That's one of the reasons I'm getting rid of my Wii version and upgrading to the 360.
    Yeah, I'm talking 360 here.
  • edited October 2010
    I also want to warn Scott that the Pro Guitar WILL NOT be available upon release for Rock Band 3. The Madcatz's Fender Mustang and Squier Stratocaster won't be in stock until about November 24th. And Fender can play both guitar modes, while the Squire can only play pro.

And on another note of release, The Doors 12 Pack will be released on the 26th, but 3 of the songs will be free, FOR ONLY A WEEK. So be sure to download those songs once they came out. And they are "Light My Fire," "Riders of the Storm," and "Touch Me."
    Post edited by Nukerjsr on
  • The Madcatz's Fender Mustang and Squier Stratocaster won't be in stock until about November 24th.
    That's my birthday!
  • I also want to warn Scott that the Pro Guitar WILL NOT be available upon release for Rock Band 3. The Madcatz's Fender Mustang and Squier Stratocaster won't be in stock until about November 24th. And Fender can play both guitar modes, while the Squire can only play pro.
    That's fine. I'm in no rush.
  • Picked up RB3 with keyboard during lunch. Can't wait to try it out tonight!
  • edited October 2010
    Tell me how it is. I'm interested in something that could potentially teach me some keyboard skills. A year of music theory taught me a few progressions, but nothing notable.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • edited October 2010
    Tell me how it is. I'm interested in something that could potentially teach me some keyboard skills. A year of music theory taught me a few progressions, but nothing notable.
    I am really hoping that it does. Piano was the first instrument I ever played, way back when I was 7 or 8, and I was told that I had a real knack for it. It's a shame I only tried it for about a month before forgetting about it.

EDIT: Just FYI. It appears you don't actually need a copy of RB2 to import the songs, you just need a code either from the RB2 manual or a new one from EA. Not sure how the latter works, but either way, it's $10 and includes all the songs except 5. You can look a find which ones.
    Post edited by theknoxinator on
  • Well, the Rock Band 2 Export has been announced . Unfortunately, there are some cuts as you can't export the following songs:
    * AC/DC – Let There Be Rock (No biggie if you got the AC/DC track pack, which has the same song as a Live recording)
    * Journey – Any Way You Want It
    * Metallica – Battery (Activision simply continues to piss me off)
    * Red Hot Chili Peppers – Give It Away
    * Soundgarden – Spoonman

Also, all the songs by Harmonix-bands are not included but are supposed to be released later as free DLC. Those songs are:
    * Abnormality – Visions
    * Anarchy Club – Get Clean
    * Bang Camaro – Night Lies
    * Breaking Wheel – Shoulder to the Plow
    * Libyans – Welcome to the Neighborhood
    * The Main Drag – A Jagged Gorgeous Winter
    * Speck – Conventional Lover
    * The Sterns – Supreme Girl
    * That Handsome Devil – Rob the Prez-O-Dent
  • Missing Battery, Any Way You Want It, and Spoonman makes me sad. But what they are doing with the HMX bands makes me happy, so I can download those songs and get rid of the ones I don't like, being Visions and Welcome to the Neighborhood.

I've been playing Rock Band 3 since yesterday, and there's a lot of stuff I'm really liking. My biggest positive I can give how The Look of Rock Band has really changed for the better. The animation is nice and fluid, there's more diversity in the sets and characters, and the cutscenes they do in between going to menus and during your career mode actually gives the career mode weight. It's set up in the way where the money system is eliminated (Which is great for character creating junkies), and only the most lavish, metal-looking or insane gear is locked and can be eliminated rather easily.

The Career Mode also has a challenge system, where you play 2-3 songlists with a specific challenge based on accuracy, using overdrive, maintaining combos, and others. It's wonderfully varied, though depending on the song it can be really challenging. And you don't have to play the setlist if it's songs you don't like, because they offer things like "Random 70s Setlist" or "Select 2 DLC Tracks." So if you have DLC, the 83 songs you get won't necessarily get boring and you can skip particularly annoying or frustrating songs.

In terms of songs, I think the setlist is solid overall. A whole lot of "OH, THAT SONG!" within Rock Band 3 and some well-waited rock staples. And some of the international hits like "Me Enamora" and "Oye Mi Amor" are really fun and catchy. The only thing I don't like overall with the setlist, is that a lot of the tracks are rather short. If I could give any complaints about specific songs...

"Fly Like An Eagle" has a bit of an annoying guitar chart, but playable.
    "Midlife Crisis" IS HAAAAAAAARD on Vocals. Vocals is subjective overall, but I really had trouble with Faith no More.
    "Saturday Night's Alright For Fighting" has a real hand-cramping chart.
    Do not trust the ratings for difficulty on guitar. Songs Like: "Killing Loneliness", "Lasso", "I Wanna Be Sedated", "Power of Love" are really, really easy. Guitar probably gets shafted the most with the setlist.
    "I Can See For Miles" has a really lame guitar chart. All those solos and hammer-ons you hear in the song? Yeah, you don't play any of that, you are stuck on rhythm guitar.
    "Oh My God" I believe is the fail song of the setlist. The lyrics are annoying and at the same rate, and the instruments are just fast and repetitive. Not fun at all.

Overall, I really think people are going to love Rock Band 3. It feels much more like a new game, compared to Rock Band 2 which was more of a remake. I felt like since they had fixed everything with the charting and technical aspect of the rhythm game, that added a whole new level of self-progression and immersion within the career mode. I think Guitarists may have issues with the setlists, but Drummers and Vocalists are totally gonna get a kick out if it. And Keyboards not only bring a new way to play, but they are also going to be really challenging.
  • Very sad to see those 5 songs get the cut. I love the fact that I can delete those Harmonix tracks though. No more annoying songs that nobody knows coming up in random setlists.

Cannot wait to play this game though. I got approved for a review copy, but since I'm not exactly IGN, mine didn't ship until launch. Will be stalking the mailbox.
  • I'm also really liking the game, especially like how everything is so customizable and fluid now. Having the goals built in to every part of the game is also a nice addition. The only real complaint I have is that Harmonix really doesn't seem to care about the framerate for the PS3 versions of their games. When RB1 came out, there was no issue whatsoever with framerate. With RB2, on the PS3, if you calibrated for lag (which I do having an HD LCD TV), the framerate would go bad at times with guitar, never on drums, and always on vocals. These wouldn't be an issue if you didn't have to calibrate using a SDTV. But now, with RB3, lag or not, the framerate is just bad, at least it is with guitar and keys, haven't tried drums yet (where it matters most). Seriously Harmonix, playing your game is kind of pointlessly difficult if the track is fuzzy as shit. I know you love the graphics of the band as it's playing, but if it screws with the gameplay, turn that shit down. Hopefully enough people will have this problem and they'll have to patch it.

Also, Pro Keys is hard as hell. Doing normal 5 color Keys is also kind of a weird transition, but it wasn't too bad jumping straight to expert for most songs.
  • RB3 did arrive yesterday, and the wife surprised by coming home with the keyboard! Played all night and it was great. Pro keys is definitely hard as hell but I am loving it. I have several years of piano playing under my belt, but I let it go in high school and only about a year ago did I set up my keyboard and start shaking the rust off, so I wasn't as bad as I could have been. Able to get through most pro keys on hard, although it was not always pretty. Playing a song 2 or 3 times paid huge dividends so looks like I'm gonna get addicted to practicing each of the songs a few times.
  • I wish I could hook up my M-Audio USB keyboard and use that.
  • I wish I could hook up my M-Audio USB keyboard and use that.
    Is it a MIDI keyboard? If so, then you can.

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/06/19/rock-band-3-mad-catz-keyboard-and-midi-pro-adapter/
  • Yeah, ever since they were announced, I actually have been planning on buying one of those so I could use my real keyboard. Wasn't expecting to get the official keyboard as a gift, but I think I'm gonna get a lot of use out of it over the next several weeks, and then will just sell it to a friend or on the internet.
  • I was just looking through the list of Achievements for Rock Band 3 (and yes, I know some people here do not like achievements at all) and there is one really funny one in there. For beating "The hardest Button to Button" by The White Stripes on easy pro guitar you get an achievement called "Play a real guitar already".

However, the rest of the achievements are rather subpar, and in particular a few are examples exactly how NOT to implement achievements. There's a total of 10 achievements that are dependent on downloadable songs. Apparently songs that are from previous games don't work either. Thus they are not possible to complete with only the game disc at hand. Granted, many of them can be fulfilled with the free DLC obtained with Rock Band 2, but some of them are really bad. Two of them are specific to Queen songs and though the band is fucking awesome, not everyone will be willing to spend the money to buy the songs. The worst offender though is probably the achievement "Dave Grohl Band" which is unlocked by playing 5 songs of Bands that have Dave Grohl as a member.
  • Just let me know when I can order the real guitar that's also a Rock Band guitar.
  • For the latest news on that guitar.
    Though I have heard it will be out early next year. How can they miss on the holiday season?
  • Devin Townsend just finish making a rock band port for Ziltoid The Omniscient.
    Complete with added audio of Ziltoid making fun of how nerdy you are for playing rock band.

I'm going to need to break out the plastic instruments once this is actually released.
  • http://www.fender.com/rockband3/exclusive/?EDID=BMLJ120-S3SS-9ZRZNS-A7G98-A437-v1

Looks like it will cost $280. You can pre-order it on January 1st (which I will do), but you'll get it on March 1st. That's a pretty big fucking delay. Oh well. I'm in no rush. I got plenty of games to hold me over until then. Also, it will be just in time for PAX EAST.
  • The only real complaint I have is that Harmonix really doesn't seem to care about the framerate for the PS3 versions of their games. When RB1 came out, there was no issue whatsoever with framerate. With RB2, on the PS3, if you calibrated for lag (which I do having an HD LCD TV), the framerate would go bad at times with guitar, never on drums, and always on vocals. These wouldn't be an issue if you didn't have to calibrate using a SDTV. But now, with RB3, lag or not, the framerate is just bad, at least it is with guitar and keys, haven't tried drums yet (where it matters most). Seriously Harmonix, playing your game is kind of pointlessly difficult if the track is fuzzy as shit. I know you love the graphics of the band as it's playing, but if it screws with the gameplay, turn that shit down. Hopefully enough people will have this problem and they'll have to patch it.
    So... as it turns out, I'm a complete fucking moron. It is true that with each new version of the game, the effects have caused the scrolling track to be fuzzy at hell. But, as I discovered two days ago, that's not the game's fault at all. It was my stupid TV's fault. The standard setting for the TV doesn't refresh fast enough to handle that much detail at once. I've never had a problem with any other game or movie or anything until RB2 and RB3, so I just assumed it was something else. But I bumped the TV into a higher rate, and bam, problem solved. If only I'd known this two freaking years ago when I got the damn TV.
  • Oh well. I'm in no rush. I got plenty of games to hold me over until then. Also, it will be just in time for PAX EAST.
    Someone say RUSH?

I should also say in terms of the $150 dollar Fender Mustang, I heard that many people are finding some copies of the guitar at random outlets like Gamestops and Best Buys. But you'd have to keep an eye out if you really want one. I'm hearing mixed things on the Stratocaster, mostly because of the price and how different it'll already be from a normal guitar. (You won't be able to bend the strings)
  • Man I am going to have to upgrade my drum set. I'm still on Rock Band 1 drums, but I'm at the point where I can get through a lot of songs on expert. It's not always pretty, but throwing some money down on a second bass pedal would solve my biggest challenges, and getting the RB2 drums w/ cymbals would allow me to step into pro drums.
  • I am also getting the real guitar when it comes out next year.
    If anyone is thinking on getting them I would recommend to pre-order them, I am not sure but I have the feeling that this item might first produce in limited quantities and then it would take a while for it to come out again, or be on stock. But, really that guitar looks awesome and you really can't beat that price.
  • I am also getting the real guitar when it comes out next year.
    If anyone is thinking on getting them I would recommend to pre-order them, I am not sure but I have the feeling that this item might first produce in limited quantities and then it would take a while for it to come out again, or be on stock. But, really that guitar looks awesome and you really can't beat that price.
    I will be pre-ordering it immediately. Maybe I'll even get two under the idea that the resale price will be very high.