This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Rock Band

Comments

• edited November 2010
    The fine print on the Fender page says it will require the use of the Mad Katz MIDI Pro adapter, sold separately for $40 (can pre-order for $30 on Amazon now). Are there other guitars with MIDI outputs out on the market that are of comparable quality? I was under the impression that this had some unique compatibility to Rock Band 3, is that still the case? $320 is pushing it.

EDIT: Watched the little video clip. Having the d-pad and buttons on the guitar does make it more convenient to use than plugging in a foreign MIDI instrument, but still, it's a lot of dough.
    Post edited by Matt on
  • I was under the impression that this had some unique compatibility to Rock Band 3, is that still the case
    Supposedly it can tell where your fingers are even if you aren't strumming or anything. Can someone please try the MIDI Pro adapter with a normal MIDI electric guitar and tell us if it has the same feature? If it does, I'll go and buy that shit right now.
  • edited November 2010
    Unfortunately the MIDI Pro adapter itself is not out until Nov 28th. I'm getting one to use with my keyboard.

http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-360-Rock-Band-MIDI-PRO/dp/B00409SOD2
    Post edited by Matt on
  • Unfortunately the MIDI Pro adapter itself is not out until Nov 28th. I'm getting one to use with my keyboard.
    I just realized that you will need one MIDI Pro Adapter per MIDI instrument.

They really dropped the ball on having the instruments available at the same time as the game.
  • I've been playing the game on guitar while I'm waiting for my replacement bass pedal. Expert difficulty of course. I've beaten every song up to Nightmare. All that is, except for Antibodies by Poni Hoax. Fuck that song. I'm utterly convinced that they accidentally switched the guitar difficulty ranking for that song and Killing Loneliness by HIM, which was a piece of cake and I gold-starred on my sightread.

I've also beaten a few songs from Impossible, namely Walk of Life, Before I forget, Been Caught Stealing, Crazy Train and Caught in a Mosh. I've also tried Free Bird and 25 or 6 to 4 and failed both. I'm fearing that Free Bird will end up like Green Grass and High Tides: a song that I will never beat on Expert Guitar :X
  • I've been playing the game on guitar while I'm waiting for my replacement bass pedal. Expert difficulty of course. I've beaten every song up to Nightmare. All that is, except for Antibodies by Poni Hoax. Fuck that song. I'm utterly convinced that they accidentally switched the guitar difficulty ranking for that song and Killing Loneliness by HIM, which was a piece of cake and I gold-starred on my sightread.

I've also beaten a few songs from Impossible, namely Walk of Life, Before I forget, Been Caught Stealing, Crazy Train and Caught in a Mosh. I've also tried Free Bird and 25 or 6 to 4 and failed both. I'm fearing that Free Bird will end up like Green Grass and High Tides: a song that I will never beat on Expert Guitar :X
    Antibodies is by far the most undertiered song in the game for guitar. I've gotten 100% on several songs supposedly harder than it, yet I only managed 4 stars on that one. Still, at least the guitar part is easier than bass or keys.

While I do agree that Free Bird is very much like Green Grass, it only took me two tries to get it, mostly because I just didn't have the overdrive when I needed it the first time, so I would say it is overall easier than Green Grass is. On that note though, I would argue that Rainbow in the Dark is the hardest guitar song due to its crazy solo.
  • Question: How do you enact overdrive or whatever when playing with the "real" guitar?
  • Question: How do you enact overdrive or whatever when playing with the "real" guitar?
    Good question. I haven't read anything about that, but since it is a special guitar with buttons that work with the game, I would assume it would use the same methods as the normal guitars. That is tilt or hit select.
  • I dunno if that's it, but this description of the pro guitar mentions something called "Overdrive Stomp Box"
  • I dunno if that's it, butthis descriptionof the pro guitar mentions something called "Overdrive Stomp Box"
    Interesting. The pro guitar does support tilt activation, but perhaps the MIDI adapter has a stomp function?
  • but perhaps the MIDI adapter has a stomp function?
    I was thinking that, but the MIDI controller is really the same as an XBox controller. Really hard to stomp on one tiny button.
  • This thread has been devoid of this for too long -
  • I dunno if that's it, butthis descriptionof the pro guitar mentions something called "Overdrive Stomp Box"
    This is the only advertisement pic I could find of that Stomp Box. Apparently they're produced by Electro-Harmonix for MadCatz and were supposed to be out on the market back in '09. I've never seen one of these in my life and that's even with all the extra RB crap I've seen on sale at my local GameStop.
    I was thinking that, but the MIDI controller is really the same as an XBox controller. Really hard to stomp on one tiny button.
    And according to Amazon's shipping info it weighs in at 17.6 pounds. Something tells me this thing is a little bit bigger and beefier than a standard 360 controller. It looks like the MIDI controller has a corner that is set up to be the overdrive button, so if you've got the MIDI controller on the floor by where you're standing to play it shouldn't be that hard to swing your foot over and tap it.
  • edited November 2010
    If there is a big overdrive button on the MIDI controller, they could use a button lockout during play to disregard any other erroneous presses when you stomp on the thing. This could be done in the game already, but if not, I've seen hardware such as the microphone w/ integrated controller that has a button lock switch on its body.
    Post edited by Matt on
  • "Real Guitar" site went live a couple of hours ago. Most of my questions regarding this controller/guitar have being answered. I can't wait to pre-order it :P
  • People, we have our first official bass solo in Rock Band, and it's due to our newest pack...

• Buy.com has the Band Hero deluxe kit for $64 which is really tempting to buy because my Rock Band 1 drums don't really work well anymore, and I can sell all the other pieces. The only issue is that I'm not sure if Band Hero drums would be compatible with the Rock Band 3 pro drum mode. They do have an option for people w/ RB2 drums & cymbals, so would it be compatible with that? Cannot seem to find an answer anywhere and don't want to let a good deal like that get away. Rock Band 3 drums & cymbals would be preferred, but they are $125, and am I really going to get enough use out of them in 3-cymbal pro mode to make it worth the added cost?
  • For the record guys, more Queen is on the way.

Queen Extravaganza Pack 01

“Hammer to Fall” *
    “Keep Yourself Alive” *
    “Now I’m Here” *
    “Play the Game” *
    “Tenement Funster” *
    “We Are the Champions” (RB3 version)
    “We Will Rock You” (RB3 version)

Queen RB3 Enhanced Pack

“I Want It All” (RB3 version aka Keys and Harmonies) *
    “I Want To Break Free” (RB3 version) *
    “Killer Queen” (RB3 version) *
    “One Vision” (RB3 version) *
    “Somebody To Love” (RB3 version) *
    “Under Pressure” (RB3 version) *

And 10 out of 12 of the songs coming out will have Pro Guitar/Bass available. I'm really debating this, because even though I own these songs already, Queen's harmonies and keys aren't something to be taken lightly.

Oh yes, have fun with Rock Band Network...Zilitoid and This. Yay for Video Game Music!
  • I'll be getting that shit as soon as the stupid guitar comes out. I already have a copy of RB3, I just don't have any insruments for the 360. All I have is a Wii Guitar for GH3. It's on my calendar to preorder that shit as soon as it's up.
  • Aghhh, I really want Rock Band... But that would require an Xbox 360, and money is an issue.
  • I would love "Don't Stop Me Now" by Queen
    Same. It should be in this next pack.
    Same. It should be in this next pack.
    Don't forget Princes of the Universe.
  • My prediction: Scott purchases said guitar. Plays it for a week and then never picks it up again. Remember when he said he was going to learn the Harmonica?
  • edited December 2010
    My prediction: Scott purchases said guitar. Plays it for a week and then never picks it up again. Remember when he said he was going to learn the Harmonica?
    There wasn't a harmonica hero video game to help. Also, there were no interesting ways to connect the harmonica to the computer. I may suck at guitar forever, but I will probably explore the world of guitar softwares and such.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • ...I will probably explore the world of guitar softwares and such.
    Can someone please make a Robotech game that uses a guitar as the controls?
  • Can someone please make a Robotech game that uses a guitar as the controls?
    You mean Macross 7.
  • Why are they missing the holiday sale?
    I will pre-order from Best Buy but I would have much rather use Fender.
  • edited December 2010
    Just did the endless setlist on expert guitar (RB3 of course). My left hand hurts, but it was well worth it ^_^
    Post edited by theknoxinator on