This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Post music you have made.

Comments

• Why do Cigarettes Make Me Want to Poop. by Yossarian.

This song features my terrible singing.
    How did I miss this? This is fucking RAD
  • Why do Cigarettes Make Me Want to Poop. by Yossarian.

This song features my terrible singing.
    How did I miss this? This is fucking RAD
    That's good to hear. I fucking hate all of my music right now.
  • I know that feel. If you want a change of pace, I have a beat I made on my Gameboy yesterday that I'm going to record soon and it'd be cool if you rapped over it. It came out way cutesy-er than intended, but I'll send it your way if you're down to collab.
  • I'm game.
  • I'm game.
    There you go. Download should be enabled. If you send me your vocal stem, I'll finish up mixing it. I don't know what you want to do about the "chorus" melody. You could just leave it alone, but I was thinking you could just rap straight through it, maybe repeat the same lines for each chorus.
  • I am two songs away from finishing my Groundhog Day musical/concept album.
    The sample performances you gave in our apartment were delightful. ^_^

• edited October 2012
    I'm game.
    There you go. Download should be enabled. If you send me your vocal stem, I'll finish up mixing it. I don't know what you want to do about the "chorus" melody. You could just leave it alone, but I was thinking you could just rap straight through it, maybe repeat the same lines for each chorus.
    Since the verse and chorus are both eight bars I think repeating the same lines for each chorus would be annoying. Right now my plan is to make a recognizable pattern for the verse and chorus respectively and build different lyrics around those patterns for each section, if that makes any sense. We'll see how it goes.
    Post edited by Walker on
  • edited October 2012
    Sounds great. I'm probably gonna play with the beat a bit too once I have the vocals to work off of.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • Happy Halloween!

Spooked - Live
  • I've started getting into making music, I have a keyboard, MIDI cable, and illicit copy of Fruity Loops, but I'm feeling really overwhelmed. I have a few years of piano experience, although I stopped for a while and am pretty rusty now. Does anyone have advice on how to get started? A guide, whether online or in book form, would be really awesome, as would anything that teaches solid music theory. I always sucked at theory, and it feels like that's really holding me back.
  • Start with one part and build everything around that. So say, a melody you could play into FL, then add drums, a bassline, more melodies, the sky's the limit. But it helps to have a single starting point when you're learning. Also, just trust your ear and you won't need any knowledge of theory. It helps, but you'll know immediately if something sounds right or wrong.
  • edited November 2012
    I made a thing!

Random Ass-Waltz - Ikatono

EDIT: I can't get the widget to work.
    Post edited by Ikatono on
  • I get how it's a waltz, but the melody doesn't seem to quite fit. Maybe you could make the phrases shorter and a little more expressive?
  • Not much advice to give at all. You probably just need to stick with it for five to eight years, and only then expect to catch up with all the techniques and concepts that are constantly being developed. By then you'll know what you're doing, but also have a clue about what you want to do.
  • 1000 hours is the thing, right?
  • Well, with modern music technology, probably not. However, everyone else has access to the same level of technology, so to stand out or do anything new or interesting still takes loads of time and energy.
  • You probably just need to stick with it for five to eight years, and only then expect to catch up with all the techniques and concepts that are constantly being developed.
    Way to be encouraging!
  • Okay, let me be more helpful. Watch this video:

See how effortlessly entertaining he is? He can do all that stuff because his entire act is built around sitting on a chair with a small keyboard. He has mastered the keyboard.

If you want to become a master at anything, pick a small thing to master. Your question is "How do I get good at all electronically produced music?" That's waaaaaaay too much to aim for, and it's way too much to ask about.

Go buy a small, shit keyboard. Make music. Make music that you actually like, and that other people actually like. Master that. Then, when you get some real tools, you'll know where you're going and how to get there.
    I am now just one song away from finishing my Groundhog Day musical/concept album.
  • So... This happened. (NSFW)
  • Oh. Oh my.

That was quite something special indeed. So, EqLA was fun?
  • edited November 2012
    [dooble post]
    Post edited by Sail on
  • edited November 2012
    Oh. Oh my.

That was quite something special indeed. So, EqLA was fun?
    The convention itself? So far, No. There was only one panel I wanted to go to. The rest were nothing interesting. What happened was I went to the one panel in the morning, recorded some videos about the con (intros, interviews, etc) but was then asked to go down to Con Ops to let them know I was recording stuff. So, around noon, I went to con ops (they said recording was cool), and asked if I could chill out there because it was quiet and cool. We had so much fun just chilling and swapping stories, I just never left. Hijinks ensued. I was mistaken as staff numerous times simply due to my knowledge of what was going on (Tara Strong likes to be late for everything).

Really, though, there is NOTHING on the schedule I wanted to do. They had only one event room and most of the stuff going on in there were "Writer's Q&A", "Voice actors Q&A", "how to style your ponies hair". Whatever.

Anyway, I'm going straight to con ops tomorrow morning and bringing treats. Got my panel at 1:10 (50 minutes), going back to con ops, then at 5-ish is the private meet and greet for sponsors and the VIP's.

Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • Lame. At least you made some fun out of it, though.
  • edited November 2012
    Lame. At least you made some fun out of it, though.
    Totally, I just wished I had recorded our song about lesbians. We've been asked to reprise it tomorrow. heh.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • When I saw Spike in the suggestion my first thought was Notting hill.
  • edited November 2012
    Running (away) From the Ghoul(friend) by Cielmort

Anyone want to give it a try at rapping something fierce and semi deathgrips-like on top of this?

Also, yes, I did not quit music, hurray!
    Post edited by La Petit Mort on
  • edited November 2012
    Pre-release for the band I'm in, Common Family. It's a bit rough, but we wanted something out there. Woo, I love this song!

Post edited by Vhdblood on
  • Cool song!