This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Post music you have made.

Comments

• edited April 2012
    Finally!

We have more on our Youtube channel.
    Post edited by theknoxinator on
  • I've actually made a few Alternative Hip Hop type songs, some good, some not so good. I've made a couple amateur mashups too.

You can find em all here http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/ for anyone who is interested.

• I was wondering if I should post this at all. I made this for the music competition of Instanssi 2012 demo-party/festival. Started making it two hours before deadline and that can be heard. I'm not that proud about it, but I shouldn't hide my creative works.
  • edited May 2012
    Jazzrabbit by Yossarian.

Give me your thoughts, understanding that it is completely unfinished.
    Post edited by Walker on
  • I want to hear you rapping again :(
  • This beat is intended for that.
  • I want to hear you read Beowulf again :(
  • Ok, well, the beat has a unique sound, but it's way too stagnant to be listened to on its own. So there are my thoughts.
  • Ok, well, the beat has a unique sound, but it's way too stagnant to be listened to on its own. So there are my thoughts.
    Much appreciated.

• edited May 2012
    I would add some melodic breaks every couple of measures, otherwise it's too repetitive.

Edit: If you want to go on the weird side, try adding some sitar as one of the melodic breaks.
    Post edited by La Petit Mort on
  • Have you heard BADBADNOTGOOD, Walker? They make hip-hop-inspired jazz music that you might be able to take some cues from.

• Jazzrabbit by Yossarian.

Improved. Keep the feedback coming if you have it, y'all are helping a lot.
  • Finished!

Long Miles, Small Smiles by Yossarian.

It feels good to be rapping again.
  • edited May 2012
    I love your flow, it's tight and interesting, however, you need to inflect your voice a bit more, add more energy, it's lying flat on the mix, make it jump.

Also, on the softer vocal section ("she's getting back together with one of my best friends...") I would suggest you lower it on the mix a bit, cut some of the middle frequencies and add a touch of reverb. It would make sound more like a section break than a badly mixed/transitioned versed. Although that's just my opinion.
    Post edited by La Petit Mort on
  • edited May 2012
    Well-written lyrics, excellent articulation, and a nice varied flow. I have some gripes, though. First, you're not quite nailing the beat. An accent to beats 2 and 4 might make it easier to stay in groove. Also, continuing with that Mort said, it sounds like you're sitting too close to the mic and the volume at which you're rapping is making it sound flat and a lot less confident than it could be. Sit back a little bit and project your voice instead. You should be rapping with the same volume as a singer sings. A great way to practice this is to keep your mouth about a foot away from the mic and turn the gain down to a level where it is difficult to make it clip with your voice, then try and make it clip. Recording is more about capturing a feeling than a perfect take, and forcing yourself to have to strain is a trick that helps emulate/fake intensity. It's like theater, you have to exaggerate things in order for them to come across clearly.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • edited May 2012
    FUCK OFF WITH THAT WALL OF TEXT SAIL. THE FIRST AND MOST IMPORTANT PART IS THAT THAT DELICIOUS VOICE IS SLIGHTLY STRANGLED OUT BY THE MUSIC. IT'S A BIT TOO SUBDUED AND QUIET, THOUGH JUST INCREASING THE GAIN WILL PROBABLY BE A HORRENDOUS IDEA.

Now you can read Sail's wall of tl;dr.
    Post edited by Not nine on
  • THE FIRST AND MOST IMPORTANT PART IS THAT THAT DELICIOUS VOICE IS SLIGHTLY STRANGLED OUT BY THE MUSIC. IT'S A BIT TOO SUBDUED AND QUIET
    I disagree completely, though I suppose if my post wasn't so long and hard to read, you would know that ^_~
  • THE FIRST AND MOST IMPORTANT PART IS THAT THAT DELICIOUS VOICE IS SLIGHTLY STRANGLED OUT BY THE MUSIC. IT'S A BIT TOO SUBDUED AND QUIET
    I disagree completely, though I suppose if my post wasn't so long and hard to read, you would know that ^_~
    I read it, later. What I got from it was the same thing I said.
    His voice is too damn soft!
  • Well-written lyrics, excellent articulation, and a nice varied flow. I have some gripes, though. First, you're not quite nailing the beat. An accent to beats 2 and 4 might make it easier to stay in groove. Also, continuing with that Mort said, it sounds like you're sitting too close to the mic and the volume at which you're rapping is making it sound flat and a lot less confident than it could be. Sit back a little bit and project your voice instead. You should be rapping with the same volume as a singer sings. A great way to practice this is to keep your mouth about a foot away from the mic and turn the gain down to a level where it is difficult to make it clip with your voice, then try and make it clip. Recording is more about capturing a feeling than a perfect take, and forcing yourself to have to strain is a trick that helps emulate/fake intensity. It's like theater, you have to exaggerate things in order for them to come across clearly.
    Agreed on all points. Sometimes I'm right on, a lot of the time I'm way off the beat. As for the soft voice, it was the only way I could find to relax into it. My next step is to work on relaxing the flow while projecting, and actually recording with headphones on so I can catch the accents on the downbeat (trust me, they're there).
  • Screwing around in Reason.

Go Home by Yossarian.
  • edited July 2012
    Another beat. Lyrics in progress. 'Twill be dope.

New Boss by Yossarian.

Also, here's me reciting poems with my friend playing piano in the background.

Poems, Piano and Pretension with Pleats and Kato by Yossarian.
    Post edited by Walker on
  • A little Saltillo-inspired something.

Scattershot by Yossarian.
  • Now with dope rhymes.

Scattershot by Yossarian.
  • I really like that. The beat is great and the aggressive vocals work well. My one criticism is that the right channel feels a bit heavy. I'd suggest, rather than adding a new element to offset the drums, using automation to increase the volume of that distorted piano in the left channel during those parts.
  • Sounds like a good idea.
  • edited July 2012
    I'm in the process of writing some verses for a ratatat beat, trying to get back into writing lyrics frequently again. I'll post something once I have a full cut. Also Walker I am diggin' those beats. Perhaps a collaboration at some point?
    Post edited by MATATAT on
  • That must have taken some pretty bad luck.
  • rattata?
  • I'm in the process of writing some verses for a ratatat beat, trying to get back into writing lyrics frequently again. I'll post something once I have a full cut. Also Walker I am diggin' those beats. Perhaps a collaboration at some point?
    If I like what I hear. No offense meant, of course, but I don't want to work with somebody if I don't like how they sound.