This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Scott Pilgrim Versus The World

Comments

• edited April 2009
    Wait. THAT "Edgar Wright"?!

I didn't make the connection until just now.

TWO THUMBS UP!!
    Post edited by YoshoKatana on
  • Wait.THAT"Edgar Wright"?!

I didn't make the connection until just now.

TWO THUMBS UP!!
    Took you long enough :O
  • I was introduced to Scott Pilgrim a number of weeks back. Someone posted the panel where Scott calls a song "Launchpad McQuack." That weekend I went to the library and grabbed the first four volumes and tore into them. Within the next two or three weeks I bought all five from Amazon.

All the stills from the movie look great. I'm still wary of Cera as Scott, but I'm ready to accept it when they start showing us what he's doing with the role.

I have no idea how they're going to fit six volumes worth of material into a single movie. The potential is incredible though given Wright's involvement.
  • edited May 2009
    http://twitter.com/radiomaru
    Knives Chau's Dad is not in the movie
    Lisa Miller is not in the movie
    The "fight" in Honest Ed's is not in the movie
    None of Vol 6 is in the movie. Note that I haven't finished writing it yet, but they're already making a movie. Their ending is their ending
    NOTE: I Am Totally Pleased With The Movie. Subplots from 6 books do not fit in one 2-hour movie, and I'm glad my adaptors know this.
    Yeah, it is based on my ideas/suggestions/plans, but I am free to change all of my ideas at the last minute; theirs are locked in
    All from Bryan O'Malley's twitter just a few minutes ago. Interesting.

EDIT: Anyone want these sorts of thing spoilered?
    Post edited by RyienKu on
  • Ah, so it's going to wind up like Fullmetal Alchemist. As long as the creator's good with it, it should all be fine.
  • "What we do know is that the game follows the plot of the movie (which in turn follows the plot of the film)."
    Gotta love the writing on IGN.

Anyway that is really cool, especially since it says they are going to make it look like the comic which should add a whole lot to the game.
  • The game really just needs to be River City Ransom, that's basically what the comic boils down to in the first place.
  • The game really just needs to be River City Ransom, that's basically what the comic boils down to in the first place.
    But it also has got to have an edge that separates it from that. Not just as in references in the comic book. But if I had to liken it to something, the edge that that game is like what Ikuhara did to the Utena anime that gave it it's edge (seeing as how Chiho Saito's original manga was nothing special).
  • Well, at least some parts of the comic are really just a big RCR parody but there should definitely be a lot more content. I'm a little bit worried though that this might deteriorate into some sort of BARF!-worthy minigames festival.

Anyways, as long as I can beat people into the shape and size of coins, I'd be happy.

Also: Get me a Sex Bob-omb song in Rock Band :)

• Also: Get me a Sex Bob-omb song in Rock Band :)
    I play as Sex Bob-Omb in Rock Band, but I have Wallace as my lead singer.
  • GeoGeo
    edited July 2009

I play as Sex Bob-Omb in Rock Band, but I have Wallace as my lead singer.
    Why Wallace? Why not Stephen Stills?
    Post edited by Geo on
  • You need to have four members in Rock Band, so I have Wallace singing, Stephen Stills on lead guitar, Scott on Bass, and Kim on Drums.
  • edited July 2009
    I can't remember if anyone's ever posted this before. It's a cover of the song Sex Bob-omb plays near the beginning of volume 1:

Related, the same person also did Scott's sad burrito song from volume 2:
    Post edited by Eryn on
  • So, word on the street is that the last volume of Scott Pilgrim isn't going to come out until after the movie, so the comics and the movie are going to have different endings.
  • I heard the same. I'm hoping that BLO has some script input so that the endings are not too vastly removed. It should be interesting.
  • Just came across this 16-bit cover of "Scott Pilgrim", as in a cover of the song by the Canadian indie band Plumtree that O' Malley took the name for his character from.

• edited December 2009
    As if my hopes for the movie weren't high enough, some super-early, unofficial mini-reviews of the rough edit are already out. A little over a month ago, Jason Reitman (Thank You For Smoking, Juno, Up in the Air) lost his shit over Twitter after having seen the first 30 minutes. Here are the tweets he put out:
    - In London, @edgarwright showed me 30 min of "Scott Pilgrim." While sworn to secrecy (so much, surprised blood wasn't demanded) I will say this:
    - It is a game changer for Edgar and the genre. It moves the speed of light and carries more unadulterated joy than I've seen in recent cinema.
    - SP does what everyone our age has been dreaming about: achieves the first all encompassing film of the joystick generation.
    - I'm in awe of the sheer control in the filmmaking. It feels like a "Matrix" for love and how willing we are to fight for it.
    - If I had a movie coming out next year, I wouldn't want to be anywhere near it. Hats off my friend. Can't get it out of my head.
    On top of that, in the past few days, Greg Mottola (Superbad, Adventureland) tweeted his own review after having seen a full rough cut.
    - Be very jealous of me. I've seen an entire cut of SCOTT PILGRIM VS. THE WORLD. Edgar Wright has made a classic (again)! It's amazing.
    - I would say that Scott Pilgrim is the wittiest action movie you'll ever see, but that's just the half of it.
    - Needless to say, Michael Cera is perfect. In fact, every single performance is incredible. You've got something special to look forward to.
    - one last SP rave: the filmmaking is so insanely good, I retired halfway through the movie. (looking forward to the pension checks, tho)
    I know I shouldn't let my expectations get so damn high, lest they never be met, but I can't help myself. This all sounds so wonderful. D:
    Post edited by Eryn on
  • They just started showing Hot Fuzz on Comedy Central (Edger Wright's last movie before SP,) and watching it again I forgot how good it is. It's actually an amazingly well crafted movie which does a whole lot in such a short amount of time, yet it doesn't feel rushed. It made me realize that Wright was definitely the right (pun not intended) person to direct the SP movie. Can't wait to see it.
  • Hold up.

The guy directing this movie is the same guy who directed Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz?

FFFFFFFF doesn't even begin to describe this.
  • Hold up.

The guy directing this movie is the same guy who directed Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz?

FFFFFFFF doesn't even begin to describe this.
    He is also the guy that directed "Spaced" which is fantastic!
  • What does "FFFFFFFFF" mean?
  • What does "FFFFFFFFF" mean?
    It's like yelling "FUCK" but with the last three letters left out.
  • Dude, I have NEVER looked forward to a movie this much before. If this is fail I will be the most disappointed I ever was. It would be like no toys on Christmas, with no food on Thanksgiving and not graduation in one! THIS HAS TO BE AWESOME!
  • THIS HAS TO BE AWESOME!
    Agreed.
  • edited January 2010
    The movie is going to be released into theatres on August 13th of this year. Now we just need to see some trailers to get us even more pumped up.
    Post edited by Li_Akahi on
  • edited March 2010
    OH SHIT. IT'S SCOTT PILGRIM.

On a related note, Bryan Lee O'Malley teased that the cover, title, and release date for SP volume 6 will all be revealed this Friday! :D
    Post edited by Eryn on
  • Bryan Lee O'Malley teased that the cover, title, and release date for SP volume 6 will all be revealed this Friday! :D
    HOLY FUCKING YAY!
    Also, if this movie is incredibly bad I'll still love it.
  • I need a print of that poster so bad.
  • I need a print of that poster so bad.
    I'm buying one for next year's geekpartment. It's happening.