This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Scott Pilgrim Versus The World

Comments

• Yeah, I don't know what you think a hipster is. Scott Pilgrim isn't it.
  • By my own personal definition I would say being a hipster requires that you go about life doing certain things in a conscious effort to be more "hip". While Scott Pilgrim may do some occasional things associated with hipsters, he's got that oblivious to life quality that says he's just doing what he wants and stumbling through it all. While being in an indie band and wearing whity t-shirts may help your hipster cred if you actually are a hipster, doing those things alone does not make one a hipster.
  • edited May 2010
    By my own personal definition
    There is no such thing as a "personal definition". My personal definition of the word "sky" is the the brown stuff that comes out of my butt every once in awhile. See how silly that is? If you have a different definition for a word than everyone else, you are speaking a different language.

This is a hipster.

Also this.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • By my own personal definition
    There is no such thing as a "personal definition". My personal definition of the word "sky" is the the brown stuff that comes out of my butt every once in awhile. See how silly that is? If you have a different definition for a word than everyone else, you are speaking a different language.

This is a hipster.
    Haha, That means half the guys at my school are hipsters.

*realization sinks in* O.O Oh god...
  • By my own personal definition I would say being a hipster requires that you go about life doing certain things in a conscious effort to be more "hip". While Scott Pilgrim may do some occasional things associated with hipsters, he's got that oblivious to life quality that says he's just doing what he wants and stumbling through it all. While being in an indie band and wearing whity t-shirts may help your hipster cred if you actually are a hipster, doing those things alone does not make one a hipster.
    I don't credit just what he does as apart of his hipster-isms, but you also have to look at the attitude of the book. And the global attitude of the Scott Pilgrim universe is that it's no big deal that Scott Pilgrim is the best fighter in Canada and from the books, there is really no seriousness in the terms of this Evil-Exes. (With the exception of Book 5 and probably 6) It's almost trying to be ironic with a lot of the subjects in Scott Pilgrim, with the constant laidback attitude, the lack of conflict, the fact the Scott always tells people "Yeah, we don't suck that much" about his band. It's not full-frontal with it's hipsterism but has tons of hints about it. The idea of trying to be ironic or quirky for the sake of it is apart of the core of hipsterism.

And Michael Cera always plays hipsters. You can't help but make that correlation. ;P
  • And Michael Cera always plays hipsters. You can't help but make that correlation. ;P
    You really have no idea what a hipster is. Show any picture of Michael Cera or anything in Scott Pilgrim that looks anything like the hipsters shown above.
  • edited May 2010
    *pics*
    < hipsterspeak >Those hipsters are so 2007. Lame! < /hipsterspeak >
    Post edited by Viga on
  • And Michael Cera always plays hipsters. You can't help but make that correlation. ;P
    You really have no idea what a hipster is. Show any picture of Michael Cera or anything in Scott Pilgrim that looks anything like the hipsters shown above.
    You never saw Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist, did you? Or notice here in Juno with what this boy is wearing?

It feels more like, the book has a sense of irony about it that makes it feel like it's trying to be hip. That's what really annoys me about it,
  • edited May 2010
    I always took his 70's style gym clothes as just him being a total dork in that movie.

I guess you can somewhat say he was a "hipster" in Nick & Norah but that's only 1 movie out of Superbad (dork), Year One (dork), Juno (dork that got some), Arrested Development (dork), Youth in Revolt (dork then dork gone bad). If you want an accurate definition of Michael Cera's career, it's that of that shy and awkward teen, not hipster schmo.
    Post edited by Outlaw Wolf on
  • I guess you can somewhat say he was a "hipster" in Nick & Norah but that's only 1 movie out of Superbad (dork), Year One (dork), Juno (dork that got some), Arrested Development (dork), Youth in Revolt (dork then dork gone bad). If you want an accurate definition of Michael Cera's career, it's that of that shy and awkward teen, not hipster schmo.
    That's essentially his shtick. Awkward guy goes clumsily after the girl of his dreams.
  • Michael Cera is to hipsters what the Twilight people are to goth kids.

For further information, see the South Park episode here.
  • By my own personal definition
    A "personal definition" to me is "the definition of the word as I have perceived it from seeing it used time and time again, yet having never actually looked it up to validate that my perception of the word is the actual meaning. Also, it means I'm too lazy to take two seconds to do so before making this post, so I'm just running with what I think the definition of the word is, while fully admitting it could be off."
  • So in Finest Hour, do you think we're going to find out anything more about that "Reverse Scott" that shows up in Scott Pilgrim Gets It Together?
  • Do you think we're going to find out anything more about that "Reverse Scott" that shows up in Scott Pilgrim Gets It Together?
    Didn't he beat Reverse Scott? I thought that was just a manifestation of his problems and getting it together destroyed it.
  • Do you think we're going to find out anything more about that "Reverse Scott" that shows up in Scott Pilgrim Gets It Together?
    Didn't he beat Reverse Scott? I thought that was just a manifestation of his problems and getting it together destroyed it.
    I thought he just kinda delayed dealing with him. He just shouts "I don't need you" and charges away.

Also, side note: Is the guy who walks out of the Sex Bob-omb show at the end of Infinite Sadness confirmed to be Gideon?
  • Yea, it's Gideon.

Also, reverse Scott shows up near the end of book 5 very subtlety. When Scott looks in the mirror while brushing his teeth. He's fighting the evil ex inside him.

I also think in the book when they are getting ready for another one of Julie's parties and Scott is describing some comic to Ramona that what he was saying is sorta a hint of what happened to Ramona. I don't know, I'm probably reading too much into it.
  • edited May 2010
    If you have a Facebook, become a fan of the movie because once the page reaches 100k fans, they will release a new trailer.
    Only 8,000 7,000 more fans to go.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • edited May 2010
    The posters showing Ramona's 7 Evil Exes are out, but the pics are very blurry so we'll only get an idea of what they'll look like until something better comes out.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2010/05/29/six-new-scott-pilgrim-posters/
    Post edited by Outlaw Wolf on
  • 5,000 more fans to go. Looks like we're getting a trailer today/tomorrow.
  • edited May 2010
    New Trailer! its out now :D
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • That trailer has made me even more excited for the movie, the giant hammer that is +2 against girls is in the movie.
  • My only worry (which as I watch the trailers more and more is evaporating) is that Cera will play Pilgrim too awkward, like someone said earlier.
  • I love the little movement that Matthew Patel does when he introduces the league.
  • "Maybe next time, don't date the girl with 11 evil ex boyfriends."
  • ...and here I am, thinking they would not be able to top the first trailer. Hopefully this movie is going to kick all sorts of asses.
  • FUCK YES!!!!
  • Every time I see this trailer, I get sad. Sad because there's still several months till this movie comes out. Several.
  • the giant hammer that is +2 against girls is in the movie.
    Why wouldn't it be? It's kind of a key plot point. Ramona having to deal with one of Scott's exes for once.

Trailer is great etc. etc.