This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Art Attack! Part II: The Revenge of the Finished Pieces!

Comments

• edited February 2009
    Ok, after 2 months of craft making, and getting confirmation that the people (certain forumites) received their gifts, I am finally posting a few things I've worked on.

This is a just a regular drawstring type bag in which the main purpose is to hold those many Carcassonne game pieces. I chose the pirate pattern because pirates are cool and there really weren't many cool patterns at the fabric store.

Hockey cross-stitch. Pretty self explanatory from a pattern I got from Sprite Stitch.

Utena rose crest scarf. Scarf is mainly made out of fleece, the rose pattern is made out of pink felt that was hand sewn onto the scarf.
    Later, I added another layer and made fringe on the bottom as my boyfriend is awesomely posing:

And finally, the pièce de résistance: the black and white dutch bunny scarf:
    I had to hand sew the cream/white face onto the black part as well as the nose and mouth. This scarf was a bit more difficult than I thought it would be, however it seemed to turn out really well.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • Everything you have made is absurdly awesome, Ro.
  • O_O

Ro, those came out so much better than I expected. I... i... I can't fit all at the same time on my screen! D:
  • Everything you have made is absurdly awesome, Ro.
    Thank you. ^_^ Perhaps, if you would like I can do something for you. I'm currently working on something for myself, then I have a project in the works from some other people.

Ro, those came out so much better than I expected. I... i... I can't fit all at the same time on my screen! D:
    I can't either, but that's what a scroll wheel is for. :P
  • Thank you. ^_^ Perhaps, if you would like I can do something for you. I'm currently working on something for myself, then I have a project in the works from some other people.
    So, you're pretty much the coolest person ever. That would be so nice of you if you did something like that, but please don't feel like you have to!
  • Ro, I am absolutely amazed. They are all spectacular! Please make more!
  • I bow at your craft, Ro.
  • I bow at your craft, Ro.
    Thanks, Viga. I'm looking forward to seeing your webcomic that you've been working on.
  • Wow Ro, you got busy! I bow down to your determination. Don't stop!
  • Wow, your hand-stitching is really neat judging from the Utena scarf. I have never been any good at that. *awe*
  • First non-amorphous plushie I've made
  • edited February 2009
    Haha, awesome! I love the face!
    Post edited by Sail on
    OH MY FUCK THEY PAINTED THE HULK AND DRESSED HIM UP AS WOLVERINE, *breathe*, AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH(-wesome work)!
    Yay, another crafter! Very nice, Mr. Roboto. One day, I'll take on plushies, however I have way too many projects in cross-stitch, scarves that I'm currently working on as well as planning on in my head. >.
    Yay, another crafter! Very nice, Mr. Roboto. One day, I'll take on plushies, however I have way too many projects in cross-stitch, scarves that I'm currently working on as well as planning on in my head. >.<</p>
    YES! I decided this year's budget will go to making stuff, I have the same problem as you do, too many projects in my head no actual spare time to complete them...
  • One of these days, I'm gonna make a plushie. It's gonna be awesome.

Here's page 1 of a short story I'm working on. It's gonna have a sweet 50's-style UFO in it. Pretty different from the superhero stuff I've been mostly working on.
  • edited February 2009
    I'm totally diggin it.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • That little background thing in the last two panels is really funny.
  • edited February 2009
    Your inks are so smooooth, Funfetus. But I gotta say, I think I like your pencils better.

Two from me today!

DC's Impulse. I really liked him when he was Impulse! All the stuff after that can go to hell.

I seem to recall someone on the forum liked this guy. Well, he's back as my slightly unwilling Photoshop practice victim. I had a pretty good day learning the CS3 ropes, I think. Normally I find Photoshop a huuuuge struggle but I think I'm getting closer to my "Photoshop Hero" tshirt holding some truth! :)

Also: Heheh, I bet that Wolverine would sell easily at a con. :D He's cool.
    Post edited by Mamath on
  • That little background thing in the last two panels is really funny.
    Heh, I can't take credit, it was in the script. (I guess I didn't mention that I'm not writing this.) Actually, the thumbs up was specified, but the noogies were my call.
    But I gotta say, I think I like your pencils better.
    Awww, man! But I try so hard! I think that's the fact that pencils are a little more forgiving -- they tend to be looser, so it makes you look like you're better than you are.

Nice drawings -- I like that demony critter a lot. For the colors, I think it might help if you dropped the opacity and flow on your brush a little, and set the spacing to a lower percentage. It's showing some stuttering around the edges. I like to keep mine at around 10%. Also, I see what you did there with the drop shadow of the arm on the leg, but it totally kills the leg's form. I think this is a situation where you'd be better off using some artistic license and leaving that shadow out.
  • edited February 2009
    Still, your inks are really good Funfetus, and I agree with you, since pencils usually have more that one stroke per line, the brain automatically picks the one that looks better for you, that's why you always feel like you lost something when you ink.

Mamath: I'm really digging the smoke swirls at the bottom
    Post edited by MrRoboto on
  • since pencils usually have more that one stroke per line, the brain automatically pics the one that looks better for you,
    Yeah, exactly -- what's more, you can get away with leaving some things really vague and sketchy, and your brain fills that in. It's always easier to do a good looking sketch than a good looking tight, finished piece, inked or not.
  • edited February 2009
    @funfetus The hair of the nerd in the last panel looks too flat on the end (like a roll of dough that has been cut in half or something). May I suggest having a single lock pop out to give more depth to the hair? It might be a stupid suggestion, I know nothing about art theory lol
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • edited February 2009
    Dude, it's a pompadour or quiff (not really sure what the term is), if you had a hair lock popping out, you did it wrong.
    Post edited by MrRoboto on
  • But I gotta say, I think I like your pencils better.
    Awww, man! But I try so hard! I think that's the fact that pencils are a little more forgiving -- they tend to be looser, so it makes you look like you're better than you are.
    Haha, sorry. I understand the sentiment. The number of times I have started inking a sketch I thought was finished only to discover I was having to make up details along the way... Sometimes I think I should invest some time in learning to ink loose and fast (but still finished), you know? So as to get away with implying details in the inks without doing half the work...
    The hair of the nerd in the last panel looks too flat on the end
    I dunno, all the characters have pretty solid hair/styles. I mean, look at the girl, either that is not realistic hair or she spends thousands on hairspray each year. I thought it was a stylistic thing.
    It's showing some stuttering around the edges
    St-stuttering? No, seriously, I don't know what that is but I shall investigate!
    I think it might help if you dropped the opacity and flow on your brush a little
    Is it normal for the PS brush to be really solid? Changing the opacity is great and all but it takes a million strokes to build up a gradient. I'm used to the OC brush where opacity and tablet pressure are connected so I can vary the opacity in a single stroke (if that makes sense) but I'm having trouble working out the settings to do that in PS. :/
    Also, I see what you did there with the drop shadow of the arm on the leg, but it totally kills the leg's form. I think this is a situation where you'd be better off using some artistic license and leaving that shadow out.
    I couldn't resist. :P Drop shadows are such fun!
  • Haha, sorry. I understand the sentiment. The number of times I have started inking a sketch I thought was finished only to discover I was having to make up details along the way... Sometimes I think I should invest some time in learning to ink loose and fast (but still finished), you know? So as to get away with implying details in the inks without doing half the work...
    I totally understand. Since I draw my comics digitally, I have the luxury of being loose with the "inks", since I can always erase a bad line. In the past, I would do a pretty rough pencil sketch, and do all the real drawing in the inking. I thought I was saving time. Eventually, I figured out that the more complete my pencils are, the faster it goes. Ideally, I don't need to have every line there in the pencils, but I have to have everything figured out -- every decision made. I think it's because when you're penciling, you're only worrying about form and shape, and when you're inking, you're worrying about line value. Combining those two steps is, for me, a recipe for suck.
    I dunno, all the characters have pretty solid hair/styles. I mean, look at the girl, either that is not realistic hair or she spends thousands on hairspray each year. I thought it was a stylistic thing.
    It's definitely a stylistic thing. I don't know whether it's necessarily a good thing.
    St-stuttering? No, seriously, I don't know what that is but I shall investigate!
    This is what I'm talking about:
    Your lines are kinda doing the first one. Lowering the spacing percentage will make them smoother, like the second one.
    Is it normal for the PS brush to be really solid? Changing the opacity is great and all but it takes a million strokes to build up a gradient. I'm used to the OC brush where opacity and tablet pressure are connected so I can vary the opacity in a single stroke (if that makes sense) but I'm having trouble working out the settings to do that in PS. :/
    Here are the settings I use for my brushes in Photoshop, so it varies opacity and size simultaneously with pressure.
    I couldn't resist. :P Drop shadows are such fun!
    There's a time and a place. :) I use drop-shadows a lot too, but I'd avoid them in places where it's going to kill the underlying form. It's not only okay to fudge lights and shadows sometimes, it's essential.
  • edited February 2009
    Your lines are kinda doing the first one. Lowering the spacing percentage will make them smoother, like the second one.
    Ooooh. Wait, my black lines on the demony critter are showing stuttering? 'cause they're taken from a scan of something inked on paper. I would probably have to digitally reink to eliminate that. I guess the image I posted is pretty big compared to the original drawing which isn't helping. God, how can you even tell, I am not used to people looking at things that closely! :P

Here are the settings I use for my brushes in Photoshop, so it varies opacity and size simultaneously with pressure.
    Thankyou, that is super helpful! I will go find that box and poke around in it now. :)
    Post edited by Mamath on
  • Ooooh. Wait, my black lines on the demony critter are showing stuttering? 'cause they're taken from a scan of something inked on paper.
    I'm sorry, I should've been more clear -- I'm talking about the smoke and stuff in the background, background -- that's where I'm seeing the "stuttering". The ink lines on the critter look great.
  • Ah right, I see it now! Nurr, so obvious in retrospect.