This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Art Attack! Part II: The Revenge of the Finished Pieces!

Comments

• Overall, I'm pretty pleased with the way this one turned out. There were a few problems, but more practice will eliminate them. I'll try to get a cross-section picture of this when I serve it on Sunday.
    You could have at least taken a picture pre-icing.
  • You could have at least taken a picture pre-icing.
    What do you care? You won't even eat cake.
  • You could have at least taken a picture pre-icing.
    What do you care? You won't even eat cake.
    Also, a pre-icing picture doesn't show the same thing that a cross-section does. Consider a medium-rare steak. It looks one way on the outside, but cutting it in half shows something different. Just snapping a picture before I put the icing on would not achieve what I will be trying to show, and is therefore useless.
  • New 3D model from me, for a project about making a 3D space. I went with a Japanese style room.
  • That's a 3D space alright. I'm not sure what that black thing on the right is. What kind of class is this project for?
  • That's a 3D space alright. I'm not sure what that black thing on the right is. What kind of class is this project for?
    It's just a partly see through vase. Its for an intro 3D modeling class.
  • The garden is just a texture on the wall, right?
  • The garden is just a texture on the wall, right?
    It's a thing with the camera so that where ever you look the image is there in the background instead of the emptiness. Not sure what you call it.
  • It's a thing with the camera so that where ever you look the image is there in the background instead of the emptiness. Not sure what you call it.
    Skybox?
  • Camera Mapping?
  • I promised strawberry cake with chocolate icing, and here it is.
    Overall, I'm pretty pleased with the way this one turned out. There were a few problems, but more practice will eliminate them. I'll try to get a cross-section picture of this when I serve it on Sunday.
    Oooo you used the leaf tip! What did you use for the flower petals?
    Kiey,I don't quite understand why the table curtain (I don't know the actual name) looks like stairs. Can you show me what you based this off of?
    Kiey,I don't quite understand why the table curtain (I don't know the actual name) looks like stairs. Can you show me what you based this off of?It's a kotatsu, I believe. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kotatsu
  • It's a kotatsu, I believe.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kotatsu
    Yes, but a kotatsu has a blanket, not stairs.
  • Hey Kiey, that's great. I think it's more interesting then my first 3d scene. A few things bug me and I'm finally able to actually explain it in words. The image on the outside doesn't look like it's out there because it's not casting color in the room. Lush green like that should be evident on the floor. Maybe throw in some faint green lights that hit the floor,the table and the glass bowl. The light that is casting the table shadow on the floor is supposed to be the light that's on the outside world. Judging by the shadow, that light looks too low and too hard. That shadow should be softer, the light should taper off. I think it would be great if you turned down all lights to make that green outer world the focus of the image. So, right side would be the brightest light, left side would be shaded and perhaps have some subtle glows of bounced lights. I think you can suck the light out of the left side by adding negative lights(?). I wish I could say exactly what lights to use and explain with the correct terminology but I haven't turned on a 3d program in a while. :/ I hope you post update!

misakyra: God I love that cake. It makes me feel like Link. I want to grab a spoon and look for rupees! *drool*
  • Kiey,I don't quite understand why the table curtain (I don't know the actual name) looks like stairs.
    For a beginning 3D modeling class, making something that looks remotely like a blanket is a little advanced.
  • Ah I see. Thanks for clarifying, Funfetus.
  • It's a kotatsu, I believe.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kotatsu
    Yes, but a kotatsu has a blanket, not stairs.
    He said he was in a beginning 3D modeling class, so folds on a blanket may look like that.
  • Yeah, I mean I know its not perfect, it was the first thing I handed in (the kotatsu.) I just used it as part of the space since it fit, and it was one less thing to model.

@Mankoon
    I'll definitely have to keep that light stuff in mind. I was mainly concerned with making the room bright enough so that you could see everything, and so there weren't any unnaturally dark corners.
  • I'll definitely have to keep that light stuff in mind. I was mainly concerned with making the room bright enough so that you could see everything, and so there weren't any unnaturally dark corners.
    Mankoon gave some really good advice. A lot of what makes a scene look real (in 3D, or in painting) is the reflected light. Everything you can see reflects light. Obviously, bright colors reflect more light than dark, and shiny stuff reflects more than matte, but it all reflects. Find something that's a bright color, and hold your hand an inch away from it. Watch how it reflects that light onto your hand. Everything is subtly shining its own colors onto everything around it.

Another thing to think about is the color of the light(s) in your scenes. In addition to the green reflecting off of all of those buches, the light coming in from the garden there will either be slightly yellow, if it's direct sunlight, or slightly blue, if it's diffuse light from the sky. A good rule of thumb to keep in mind is that whatever "temperature" the light is, the shadows will be opposite. Warm light, cool shadows, and vice versa. A great way to see this is if you're outside in the morning, right after the sun has come up, and the shadows are still really long. Look at the curbs and sidewalks -- see how they're bright and warm, with a little yellow in the sun, and SO blue by comparison in the shadows. Here's a great tutorial that breaks all of this down scientifically.
  • For a beginning 3D modeling class, making something that looks remotely like a blanket is a little advanced.
    No, t' ain't! Make with some NURBS Curve lofting and boom! A simple, wavy blanket. Have you worked with extrude/revole/loft from NURBS Curves? Great for doing organic shapes when you are starting out.
  • Shouldn't this 3D modeling be in the "work in progress" thread? You admit they are your first attempts for a class project, and are asking for advice on how to improve them, so I think that would be the better fit.
  • I mean, finished works, no matter if they are beginning or advanced, are finished works. If you want to show them off, isn't it okay to put them here? Critique is good!
  • No, t' ain't! Make with some NURBS Curve lofting and boom! A simple, wavy blanket. Have you worked with extrude/revole/loft from NURBS Curves? Great for doing organic shapes when you are starting out.
    I have worked with NURBS lofting/revolving/etc,. though it was probably over 10 years ago -- I guess that the software has probably gotten easier since then, huh? I guess I was thinking in a polygonal context.
  • edited April 2009
    Sure, I've no problem with finished works, no matter what the quality. I just noticed a progression of "table with blanket" to "table with blanket in a room"... and I'm wondering if we're going to see a continuation of ever better images of the same subject. Maybe, instead of the first image for the class and all the steps along the way, we can just see the last image here? And the others in the thread where feedback is more the point?
    Post edited by Luke Burrage on
  • A lofted NURBS curve was what I did originally, but I wanted to go for more of a quilt look then a blanket. Probably could do a better job with it now after having so much practice now.
  • edited April 2009
    Oooo you used the leaf tip! What did you use for the flower petals?
    Even better than just a number, the Wilton website has instructions for making them. Mine aren't as round, but it's the same basic concept. I used tip 16 instead of 3 for the centers, but that was based on convenience (that was the tip attached to the bag of white icing at the time) rather than any actual preference.

Edit: Before I forget, here's the final cake from decorating class.
    I'm kind of meh about this one. The base coat of icing isn't as smooth as I'd like it to be, and I think that the leaves in the top border would have been better if I had just extended them to completely cover the shells.
    Post edited by misakyra on
  • Man this thread is making me want cake and do some 3d. I haven't done 3d is so long I fear that my knowledge of the programs is obsolete. I wanted to do something in 3d for my portfolio. I hope I'll get some crits!
  • My first try at working with my new Wacom Bamboo. At first it felt kinda strange, especially when I tried to use it as a Cursor control in Pen Mode, but I'm slowly getting the hang of it.

• My first try at working with my new Wacom Bamboo. At first it felt kinda strange, especially when I tried to use it as a Cursor control in Pen Mode, but I'm slowly getting the hang of it.
    That's some interesting type. I don't know much about type -- I assume you're designing these characters? If you don't mind some critique, I don't think I'd be able to read "get" in any of the three without the context of "it done", and I don't think I'd be able to read the "it" in the third one.
    You're probably doing it by placing points, rather than really drawing with the tablet, right? I tend to find that for anything that's really clicky, it's easier to just use my mouse.
    That's some interesting type. I don't know much about type -- I assume you're designing these characters? If you don't mind some critique, I don't think I'd be able to read "get" in any of the three without the context of "it done", and I don't think I'd be able to read the "it" in the third one.
    You're probably doing it by placing points, rather than really drawing with the tablet, right? I tend to find that for anything that's really clicky, it's easier to just use my mouse.
    I'm starting to like the feel of using the tablet and since I used Illustrator most of it is pointing and dragging.
    As for the type, the Gs really bothered me, I wanted to make them using as little detail as possible, which didn't really work out too great.