This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Art Attack! Part II: The Revenge of the Finished Pieces!

Comments

• With my birthday being Sunday, I decided to get some cake-decorating practice in.image
    I've never used fondant before, so it was a real learning experience. The original plan had been to make my own from scratch, but I ended up using the ready-made kind after the recipe I used turned out to be an epic fail. I used melted white chocolate to paint the letters. I'm going to try and find a different method for making the shamrocks if I ever make this design again, though. Cutting them out of fondant was a pain, and they turned out kinda wonky. On the bright side, I learned that you can use scissors on fondant, which will make future work much easier.
  • This is my first 3D thing in Maya that I did after my first day in class. For some reason the bowl isn't casting a shadow on the table, but pretty happy with it otherwise.
  • *pats on the head*
    Good jorb.

Also, that's pretty good for your first day. The first real model (aside from some spheres) I made in Maya was a catapult. I hated Maya so bad for the first few weeks, and then I loved it forever after that. Finding your way around the hojillion menus okay?
  • Yes, but only because I'm focusing on the couple I've been taught and generally ignoring the others, but I am genuinely loving Maya just after a day. I'm really looking forward to doing more with it. I might actually try and get a few assignments ahead this weekend just so I can do some more stuff.
  • A colored panel I did to warm up. Do anyone else need to warm up before working on something?
  • Fixed my model somewhat today, realized I forgot to check something in the light so that there would be shadows. Plus added a thing around the bottom to make it look less like cloth, and more like a comforter.
  • Why is there gray goo coming from under the kotatsu?
    It's supposed to be sort of the brim of the blanket coming off the table. Like: http://www.readliterature.com/kotatsu2.jpg
    Plus added a thing around the bottom to make it look less like cloth, and more like a comforter.
  • edited March 2009
    Why is there gray goo coming from under the kotatsu?
    Plus added a thing around the bottom to make it look less like cloth, and more like a comforter.
    I was making a point.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • A colored panel I did to warm up. Do anyone else need to warm up before working on something?
    If I'm going to be inking, I definitely need a warmup. That's a really cute pictures, Viga.
  • Viga, I'm just wondering, what is the X is over her hair near her ear?
  • Viga, I'm just wondering, what is the X is over her hair near her ear?
    A ribbon/string tying her hair?
  • A visual nod to S.E. Lain and a hair accessory I thought was cool for years.
    More cake. I signed up for a decorating class, and this is the first completed one. It's got some problems, but it turned out better than most other decorating attempts. They wanted us to write something on it, but no one I know is celebrating anything specific this weekend, hence what I went with.
  • edited March 2009
    You ever watched Ace of Cake?. My friend showed me it one day and ever since I wanted to try cake decor. Yours look so good...and yummy.
    Post edited by Viga on
  • @Viga: Thanks. I love Ace of Cakes, though I'm limited to watching clips on Youtube and their official site, since I don't have cable. They're amazing. It's the kind of baking ability that I aspire to.
  • @misakyra -- I don't know much about cakes aside from eating them, but that looks pretty solid. I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with when you've got more cake-learnin' under your belt. How'd this one taste?

Here's a new page from the short story I'm drawing for what I'm told is a UFO Anthology for Ape Entertainment. I suck at drawing explosions (and pretty much all "effects") so I bought this book, but unfortunately, these things are on deadlines, and I haven't had a chance to read the book yet.
  • I wish I sucked that bad at drawing.
    Me too, though I can see where he's coming from. The explosion itself looks kind of like a Lovecraftian pillow monster.
    Me too, though I can see where he's coming from. The explosion itself looks kind of like a Lovecraftian pillow monster.
    I think colors will help a lot. Right now the girl's dress is hard to tell apart from the explosion.
    I think colors will help a lot. Right now the girl's dress is hard to tell apart from the explosion.
    It would probably also help the explosion look a little less friendly. Right now, it seems like a sort of puffy, billowy cloud, almost.

Even still, I too wished I sucked that badly at drawing.
  • Please note that I don't think I suck at DRAWING, just at drawing explosions (and fire, water, smoke -- anything that's not solid, really). I wish I had more time to really get this right, but like I said, deadline. That's kinda the thing about comics. There's so much drawing to get done, often in so little time, that you can't be too precious about any particular drawing. If it doesn't come out quite right, you just hope it gets the message across, and move on to the next one. That doesn't mean it's not painful, though. And I too hope that colors will help a lot. :)

And I wish I sucked that badly at coding, sciencing, and juggling. And whatever it is that Günter does. So there!
  • edited March 2009
    To improve: Make the explosion less even around the edges, if it's throwing off a lot of debris and smoke then it should look spiky. The whole thing doesn't really seem to be coming from an specific point of explosion. Where abouts is the center of the explosion?
    The part of the explosion directly behind the two people doesn't work, you need to make it look like the explosion is coming at the camera, if it's centered in mid-air, with long tentacles of smoke coming out and bits of debris coming past the people to give it depth.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • Thanks -- I'll try to incorporate that stuff next time.
  • And whatever it is that Günter does.
    I eat, sleep, breath, poop, urinate, and sometimes I get sick and mopey.
  • @misakyra -- I don't know much about cakes aside from eating them, but that looks pretty solid. I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with when you've got more cake-learnin' under your belt. How'd this one taste?
    The cake and the icing tasted fine separately, but not so good together. Lemon + buttercream = no.
    This week I'm going with strawberry cake and chocolate icing, so it should be better.
  • This week I'm going with strawberry cake and chocolate icing, so it should be better.
    That sounds so good.
  • edited March 2009
    I promised strawberry cake with chocolate icing, and here it is.
    Overall, I'm pretty pleased with the way this one turned out. There were a few problems, but more practice will eliminate them. I'll try to get a cross-section picture of this when I serve it on Sunday.
    Post edited by misakyra on