This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Dating

Comments

• Dating at 20 is a far different animal than dating at 40.
  • I'm usually the one approached. I don't actively think about approaching other people. I don't typically actively pursue friendships, relationships, or otherwise. My objectives tend to be very independent of having anything to do with other people. Also quite possibly tied in to why all my relationships either end quickly or turn into casual friends.
  • edited May 2013
    Straight line distance is a fine metric for this use case.
    I pretty much agree. I just don't think Scott's evaluation of the problem is accurate.
    I think it is pretty spot on if you take into account the cost/time to implement anything better, coupled with the fact that it would have no impact on their overall usability.
    I agree that it's not really worthwhile (I never said it was), but Scott's comments mostly brought up computational issues with various relatively obvious solutions.

The only real reason not to do something like this is that it isn't worth it; it would not, however, take a supercomputer to do it.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • You guys know dating is just statistics. Emotion has nothing to do with it. Just start asking people out. One of them is bound to say yes!
  • ask out 100 people, one says yes, bingo!
  • ask out 100 people, one says yes, bingo!
    Worked for me!

...eventually.
  • I knew a guy in high school who literally asked out every girl he saw for one day back in high school, not a single one said yes. =w=;
  • yea it doesn't work if everyone knows you are doing it :-p
  • I knew a guy in high school who literally asked out every girl he saw for one day back in high school, not a single one said yes. =w=;
    You can't pack it in like that, man. You gotta be chill about it.

• edited May 2013
    Just created a profile on match. Tons of people on there. Not sure how many are active because I'm not paying.

One cool thing match has is the reverse search where it shows people who are looking for you. It can be depressing but it is also better than going through search results only to find that the people you like don't want you (generally due to age).
    Post edited by HMTKSteve on
  • Just got a registration email from match. In bold print they say that they do not do criminal background checks and to be wary!

Also reverse search is broken. Showed me people who did not want someone my age.
  • edited May 2013
    The one real girlfriend I had at RIT I met in that cafe near Gracies. Every other woman I dated when I lived in Rochester went to U of R. :3

Also, I just tried out Tinder (a dating app on iOS and possibly Android). I really like the interface, since it allows and encourages the "quickly judge people" game, which is fun to play sometimes. Additionally, people can only communicate if both parties approve the other, so it really cuts down on the spam. Unfortunately they don't really have granular settings and their geolocation is heavily cached, so that could be improved.
    Post edited by YoshoKatana on
  • RIT kids, do you ever go to U of R and hang out at their arcade? Is that arcade still even there?

It was always way better than RIT's "arcades." There were girls there on occasion too.
  • The U of R arcade might still exist. If I had a car and the time to spend travelling, I would go check. I was there once, it was glorious. Good DDR machine.
  • There used to be a Ridge Racer 1 machine too. I played it so much between DDR rounds that my ghost remained on the machine for as long as I remained at RIT.
  • I never go to U of R either, but I'm curious about this arcade. I might investigate at some point. I don't know what "arcades" you're referring to at RIT, but they definitely don't exist today, unless you're referring to Ritchie's, I guess?
  • Ritchie's has arcade games...But I would also hesitate to call it an arcade.
  • It has ping pong, air hockey, foosball, and console games. Not really what I think of when I think of an arcade.
  • RIT has had many arcades in different areas of the tunnels over the years. While we were there, one was shitty but active (it had a fake DDR machine), one was abandoned (used to also be a dance club), and one opened suddenly for a month or two, then closed.
  • Ritchie's has a DDR machine. Unless that's gone now.
    What mix at what price?
    What mix at what price?
    Semi-Shit mix at too expensive. Only a few good J-Pop/Techno songs. It's not DDRMAX2 or PS1 era going on.
  • edited May 2013
    Unfortunately, U of R arcade is no more. There's still a game room with a few machines and pool tables, but that's about it. Sadly, the original arcade was turned into a Starbucks a few years ago.

Also, RIT's tunnels are far less interesting than they must have been when the FRC was there. The under-tunnels (non-student-accessible, usually ;-) ) are still pretty cool, but everything else has been renovated into conference rooms and such.
    Post edited by YoshoKatana on
  • I have a date tonight, with a chemist!
    I was going to make a joke about you two having good chemistry, but Na.
    Who the hell do you think you Ar?
  • edited May 2013
    I have a date tonight, with a chemist!
    Who the hell do you think you Ar?
    Au, am I missing Te chemistry joKes?
    Post edited by George Patches on
  • I'm gonna try to stop this right here by posting the trump card.
  • So I realized today that, as it turns out, I still have never made out with a straight girl.

Life is weird sometimes.
  • Date went very well, follow up date on Sunday. No crazy detected.