This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Dating

Comments

• k
    I visibly shuddered within the first 20 seconds of watching that. Then I noticed the Rainbow Dash/Sonic the Hedgehog poster in the background and I seriously considered changing my username.
    One day you'll realize naming yourself after a video game character, having a cartoon character as your avatar, and spending time creating fan art based on a children's cartoon only makes it harder for people older than you to consider you also a grownup person. On that day you'll realize that your real name, Victor Khaze, is waaaay more awesome and unique than Sonic, and that your real hair is far more luxurious than any pixel art portrait could ever be. On that day you'll become yourself, and you'll never look back. Put away childish things, think and reason like a man.
    C.S. Lewis - "When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
  • I like that quote.
  • I'll just second the notion that Victor Khaze is a bad-ass name.
  • Putting away childish things is from the Bible. Or, to be more accurate, I was paraphrasing from memory:

"When I was a child, I spoke and thought and reasoned as a child. But when I grew up, I put away childish things."

• Luke Burrage is quoting scripture. I think this was foretold in Revelations.
  • Luke Burrage is quoting scripture. I think this was foretold in Revelations.
    The correct answer is: How to win at arguments against fundamental Christians
  • edited August 2013
    I visibly shuddered within the first 20 seconds of watching that. Then I noticed the Rainbow Dash/Sonic the Hedgehog poster in the background and I seriously considered changing my username.
    One day you'll realize naming yourself after a video game character, having a cartoon character as your avatar, and spending time creating fan art based on a children's cartoon only makes it harder for people older than you to consider you also a grownup person. On that day you'll realize that your real name, Victor Khaze, is waaaay more awesome and unique than Sonic, and that your real hair is far more luxurious than any pixel art portrait could ever be. On that day you'll become yourself, and you'll never look back. Put away childish things, think and reason like a man.
    I've been using the name "Sonic" since I was a kid. That being said, "Victor Frost" is, more and more, becoming my preferred identity; online and off. "Sonic" was meant to separate my online and real world me, but now I'm okay with both being connected. You make a good point and it's time to put that name away.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • edited August 2013
    Hrm there is something odd that we both have long standing Internet monikers, but awesome names...

Experiment commenced.
    Post edited by Anthony Heman on
  • However changing your forum username a lot is still a dick move and confusing for other people ;-p
  • To be honest, as soon as I knew their real names, I never once thought of Victor or Anthony as their forum usernames, and now Anthony has changed his, I honestly can't remember what his previous username was. Changing to your real name is never a dick move, though changing between many different other names is quite confusing for me.
  • I stay Axel because there are too many Alex's. Also, Axel is just an anagram of my real name and is a legitimate nickname for me among some people.
  • No need to be defensive! It was Victor who brought up changing his username due to his username's namesake appearing in the video above (a video I thought was very funny).
  • Oh no, not being defensive. Just explaining. Because I do find keeping your internet and real world self private to be a generally silly notion.
  • Well for me at least, I know my username has a 15 year history. That's a lot on the internet. Most of the people that know me by my username have no idea what my real name is. So there is some possible sacrifice.
  • Keeping them private is fine. Keeping them separate is fine too. Trying to be a different person in one than in the other is just confusing and unhelpful.
  • I don't know how much anyone here does that. Most of the forum people I meet are awesome.
  • edited August 2013
    Just as an update, Allison came over to my apartment tonight. I cooked dinner, we watched a movie, but she left very quickly because of drama that just exploded. Luckily we're going to Hollywood Studios tomorrow and are going to ride Star Tours: the Adventures Continue for pretty much the whole day.
    Post edited by Li_Akahi on
  • Drama between the two of you?
    No, outside drama.
    No, outside drama.
    Run away from drama like there is not tomorrow. Drama is not your friend.
  • Everywhere there is drama. I'm tired of people pretending you can create perfect, ultimate drama-free bubbles. Just because someone has drama in their life somewhere doesn't make them undesirable.
  • Everywhere there is drama. I'm tired of people pretending you can create perfect, ultimate drama-free bubbles. Just because someone has drama in their life somewhere doesn't make them undesirable.
    You can very easily make your life drama free, it's just not as fun.

• There's drama, then there's life. Drama should be beaten down into submission when it interferes with what you want to accomplish. Life comes at you and you have to deal with it. Don't let another's drama become your life.
    I don't know, there's very little drama in my life and I think it's pretty awesome.
  • Life is way more fun when it's drama-free.
  • There is Drama and then there is DRAMA.
  • RymRym
    edited August 2013
    DRAMA has no place in my life. If you're mad or cause drama because you:

1. Want to go to the "big party" but Joe will also be there and you don't like Joe so you refuse to attend (and make a big deal about not attending, trying to get your friends to side with you so that Joe won't be invited).

2. Can't engage in a debate about politics, religion, or other sensitive subjects and blow up any time they come up.

3. Can't be at the same place as your ex at the same time.

4. Are the one who is confused about whether or not you and someone else are "dating" or whatever word you want to use.

5. Are the one who tries to back out of basic roommate obligations pre-agreed-to.

These are the kinds of drama I've never tolerated.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • Want to go to the "big party" but Joe will also be there and you don't like Joe so you refuse to attend (and make a big deal about not attending, trying to get your friends to side with you so that Joe won't be invited).
    I know this feel so bad. Someone did that to me once (as in I was the "Joe" in the situation) and it was the most annoying thing. My friends all tried to ignore it, though, so all he really did was reduce the amount of time he could spend with them.

Also, I learned from that that he's fairly unpopular -- not just non-popular, unpopular. There are reports of multiple people saying they were waiting for me when they weren't just to get him to go away.
  • edited August 2013
    I agree with Rym, but he gave mostly specific examples of drama situations. I view drama more fundamentally.

Drama is caused when someone acts out in socially negative fashion. What could bring any human being to ever do this?

1) An actual horrible thing happened. The universe sucks. Shit happens. But even in the worst circumstances, there are cooler heads that prevail. I like to think my head is that cool. It wasn't always! It is also much more pleasant to be around people whose heads are also as cool. Though, I can't fault someone for freaking out when there is actually something worth freaking out about.

2) The person acting out has a problem. People have issues, medical, psychological, and otherwise. The person needs help. While I feel for them, it is not my responsibility to fix it. It's also not in my power. If it was in my power, yes I would definitely help. I do often try to help with what little power I have, but it's not much. In the end, I just have to prevent other people's problems from ruining my day. If I personally have problems I also do my best to keep them from bringing anyone else down.

3) NOTHING ELSE EVER. If negative social vibes are emitted from your person for any other reason ever, you are drama and you are not cool. There is no legitimate excuse besides the two already listed. If you can think of one, I'll add it to the list. I have no desire to be near you or involve myself with you in any way. No drama policy in full effect all the time.

Imagine the worst case scenario two people just plain don't get along. If they are both chill they will say something like this:

"Bro, I don't think we are really getting along very well. Let's just split."

"Yeah, bro. I really don't like you, and I know you don't like me, but we're both chill. Let's just let it be."

And that's how you play board games with a right wing crazy.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • I actually will create drama over things some people will ignore (in an effort to reduce drama over the long term). I'm not afraid or opposed to conflict. I tend to have to be the assertive one in my groups.