This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Dating

Comments

• Cause previous generations had it so right with their 50% divorce rate.
  • I'm not calling it right or wrong, but interesting.
  • divorce gives many jobs to Lawyers :-p
  • The boomers were sort of a transitional generation. Along with equality came the consequences of equality. One of which was the divorce rate.

Another thing mentioned on the NPR today was some research that the gender-salary gap is often caused by choices. More woman opt for degrees that earn less money and some women who take the big money degrees forgo promotions because they want a family.

The high divorce rate is a result of equality. I suspect the rate will drop in a generation or two as a result of the old 'womenz are inferior' types dieing out.
  • According to a report on NPR today the current economic problems are based on you millennials not following the program of getting married and having kids in your early twenties.
    Some jerk generation that preceded us told us we all needed to go to college.
  • According to a report on NPR today the current economic problems are based on you millennials not following the program of getting married and having kids in your early twenties.
    There is a lecture I am planning where I am telling people about that jerk.
    And you listened to them? Didn't you find it ironic that the same generation that told you that also wore buttons that said, "Don't trust anyone over 30"?

• I would note that when they said go to college they also said get a useful degree in something you are good at and can make money in :-p
  • I would note that when they said go to college they also said get a useful degree in something you are good at and can make money in :-p
    Worst advice.
    They all told me I should do what I love. That sounded stupid so I got a degree in an in demand field I could tolerate.
  • I had a good relationship going for a while. But I think Cookie Clicker and sideburns have kinda killed my chances at ever obtaining anything like a loving relationship ever again.
  • edited September 2013
    As someone who recently exited a six month engagement, sometimes it's a relief that things end before they start in a bigger way.
    Post edited by thehollow89 on
  • As someone who recently exited a six month engagement, sometimes it's a relief that things end before they start in a bigger way.
    That's weird, what happened, the same thing happened to my brother but he was engaged for only 4 months and had been seeing this girl for about a year before getting engaged.

In my brother's situation the girl's parents were too influential on her (arguing about dates and location of the ceremony). I advised against pushing forward to my brother when I first met her but he ignored me and got his heart broken at a later time when he was more invested.
  • Sometimes you only see the problems in hindsight.
  • As someone who recently exited a six month engagement, sometimes it's a relief that things end before they start in a bigger way.
    That's weird, what happened, the same thing happened to my brother but he was engaged for only 4 months and had been seeing this girl for about a year before getting engaged.

In my brother's situation the girl's parents were too influential on her (arguing about dates and location of the ceremony). I advised against pushing forward to my brother when I first met her but he ignored me and got his heart broken at a later time when he was more invested.
    Her personality slowly changed, became less communicative and distant. I wanted to try working through things, but she eventually became more and more uncaring. She was going back to her home town more and more often and after a few weeks she broke it off. She said she can't be in any romantic or sexual relationship. A few weeks later I find out she's sleeping with another guy...
  • Man that is undeservedly rough.
  • Here's the thing, guys and girls:

If they tell you a reason why they are breaking up with you, it PROBABLY ISN'T THE REASON! There's probably another reason, either something about you or something external to the relationship, that is more important, and that they don't want to tell you about. They are breaking up with you, and you shouldn't expect honesty. They want to get out without hurting you or themselves too much, and probably think lying is a good method of doing so.

Learn:

"It's not you, it's me" = the classic way of saying "It's something about you or us I don't want to face or change."

"I don't want commitment/kids/to get married/sex/etc" = "I don't feel comfortable facing commitment/kids/marriage/sex/etc with YOU!"

"There's nobody else!" = "There's somebody else I feel attracted to more than you, and I haven't admitted it to myself as yet, and I haven't cheated on you, so I can SAY that there isn't someone else."

Remember:

They are breaking up with you. They won't be spending much time with you again. They have no reason not to lie, as both lying or not lying will be, for all intents and purposes, just as hurtful to you.
  • Yeah, the best thing I've learned is all you can do is learn from experiences and try to come out a stronger person. Luckily my self esteem has only improved because of choices I've made because of this. Also listening to copious amounts of Metal has made me feel like a God haha.
  • Scored the number of a super awesome Kiwi chica on Thursday. Going to try to see what days she has off this coming week so that we could potentially hang out.
  • edited September 2013
    Scored the number of a super awesome Kiwi chica on Thursday. Going to try to see what days she has off this coming week so that we could potentially hang out.
    Aw choice bro.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Scored the number of a super awesome Kiwi chica on Thursday. Going to try to see what days she has off this coming week so that we could potentially hang out.

• I already posted that gif.
  • This is also my thing of the day.

• Hrm... to say something or not say something about someone else's relationship choices.
  • I keep missing opportunities with the girl from New Zealand. Last night, we watched 2 movies and went to the pool, then she asked me what I wanted to do, and instead of moving in for a kiss... I took her home because of visitation rules...

Tonight, we met up at Epcot. She had never seen IllumiNations, could have made a move there because the show can be very romantic, but I didn't. When I drove up to her apartment, she stayed in the car for a little bit. Could have made a move, but I didn't. Should have walked her to her door, but I didn't.

I need to not beat myself up about it, but I need to stop being such a wuss when it comes to women.
  • You will have more chances. Go for it!
  • I know that feel. The correct answer is to go for it because it's never as bad as you think, but it's hard to get over that nervousness.
  • edited September 2013
    What does your gut say? Does she seem to stay because of you, or because 'ooh interesting stuff that is more interesting than this boy'

If the girl is there because of you and giving you attention than you should go for it. If she's there and occupied by the, whatever is going on... well I think that's a complicated mess and you gotta decide if its worth the mental expense to navigate those waters to whatever outcome may find you. Not saying it's a bad outcome mind you, just obscured by clouds.
    Post edited by SWATrous on
  • Confidence dude. Confidence.