This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 080708 - Tribes 2

15678911»

Comments

• That's Tribes 1, TribesNext is Tribes 2. I've never played the first one.

Is everyone using TribesNext at this point?
  • I assumed that that one might actually get some people playing. TribesNext is kind of empty. Even Scrym has announced it's dead.
  • The question is whether this will be the same game as their Legions game with a Tribes skin on it, or whether they are actually going to make it full-on Tribes with all the complexity that goes along with it. If you don't have like 40+ people playing on a gigantic and complex map, then it's no good.
  • edited March 2009
    The Goon Haven server on TribesNext usually has 40-60 people on it around.. 7pm EST(?). The problem is, they run some pretty lame maps which leads to me playing a couple of games, quiting and coming back later.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • edited March 2009
    Tribes on InstantAction according to Kotaku. I found it interesting even though I know little of Tribes I know you guys are fans, hope this becomes a real thing. They should be debuting it at GDC next week.

This coupled with Quake Live we could be seeing a resurgence in older style twitch FPS.
    Post edited by Delam3 on
  • This coupled with Quake Live we could be seeing a resurgence in older style twitch FPS.
    Tribes isn't twitch.
  • edited March 2009
    This coupled with Quake Live we could be seeing a resurgence in older style twitch FPS.
    Tribes isn't twitch.
    Not my area of expertise or experience having only played a little of Quake Live and some of Fallen Empire Legions(the closest thing to Tribes I've touched) but what would you consider Tribes? Also what would be an example of twitch?

The best definition I found online is from wikipedia that describes it as a game testing a players reaction time and precision (similar to urban dictionary). Not that they are Merriam Webster but they seem consistent with the general popular definition of the term.
    I know you have considered Quake to at least have twitch elements. So would it be that the Tribes set of games have other elements that set it apart from a twitchier fps such as Quake?

This is a longer post than I intended. Its possible you have discussed the difference previously but I cannot recall it from the podcast or have yet found it in the forums. Thank you.
    Post edited by Delam3 on
  • edited March 2009
    The thing that sets Tribes 2 apart, as far as I see it, is that your ability to aim and fire quickly isn't as important as your ability to aim well and predict the point at which your target and your projectile will collide. Arena style FPSs require much less in the way of guessing where you shot will go, which makes combat much faster but you aren't having to worry about jetpacks.
  • I never really thought about a very specific definition of what makes a twitch game.

I can tell you that Quake is definitely a twitch game. Quake 1 and 2 more so than 3 or Live. It's just a really fast game. Quake is so incredibly simple. All you can really do is move, jump, aim, and shoot. Yet, the difficulty and skill level of the game scales so greatly because it is so incredibly fast. Try watching the screen of someone playing Quake from far away. It's ludicrous speed.

Tribes can be fast, especially if someone knows how to ski properly, but that speed isn't what makes the game. Tribes is about being epic and complex. It has huge maps, lots of players, lots of weapons, lots of vehicles, lots of weird equipment. The game is more about movement than about aiming. Sure, when you get into a spinfusor duel with someone, some amount of twitching and aiming can be a factor. Sure, if you're a scout going for the flag, you've got to get big time speed to make a cap. But that speed play is not the core of the game. The core of the game is epic and complex battlefield play.
  • The thing that sets Tribes 2 apart, as far as I see it, is that your ability to aim and fire quickly isn't as important as your ability to aim well and predict the point at which your target and your projectile will collide. Arena style FPSs require much less in the way of guessing where you shot will go, which makes combat much faster but you aren't having to worry about jetpacks.
    This makes sense the longer distances and slower movement will make setting up a shot more important than the speed of which you move the shoot. I know also that in Quake as well as Unreal 3 that some rifles, rocket launchers and grenades require more set up time and aim to anticipate where the other player is going. So would it make sense to say that Tribes has a base element of twitch, that all shooters probably have just less of it and that the more methodical the aim and movement the less a game could be called twitch? I wonder if this could be defined or it all shooters are shades of gray from very twitchy to not?

• But that speed play is not the core of the game. The core of the game is epic and complex battlefield play.
    This make sense to me. I would say the same things you said of Tribes for the Battlefield games, that I have more experience with, in a close fight twitch rules out but the overall experience is grander. I suppose most of it comes down to the feeling a player gets when in the game whether it moves fast and sporadic or slower but grander. One could play a Tribes match in an warehouse like map and the game would be closer to a twitchier Quake. You would just hit the ceiling more often than not.
  • Any new announcements for this or has it dropped off?

I'm looking for a declaration from authority, despite Sagan's disapproval, specifically: Omnutia, VHBlood, or anybody else who has be testing all the other servers that are around, are any of them entertaining for someone who hasn't played T2 or even viable?
  • edited May 2009
    The remaining server with any deal of action on it is pretty unfriendly and runs badly made custom maps most of the time.

If anyone want's to set up a server, I'll help and it wouldn't take us too long to pull together enough people if we go round the various gaming forums. TribesNext is also very easy to install.