This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 080708 - Tribes 2

Comments

• Yeah, the link doesn't work anymore and I'm not exactly sure what was the definitive way that you guys got it working. Can I have instructions, pretty please? :3
  • edited October 2008
    Link to further up in the thread. I'll write a "Let's Tribes 2" post on my blog, when we get a server running permanently I'll port it to the forum.

VHB says the server will be up by Monday. Can we get tribes2.frontrowcrew.com to point to it?
    Post edited by Omnutia on
    edited October 2008
    I had to download it again too, sure, the wiki with the T2 installation guide no longer exists, so I just backtracked to the main domain and there was a link to a directory listing for all the hosted T2 files. Including installer, patch, etc. Ran the installer but got a crc error, so instead I just googled tribes2_gsi.exe. The first result (for me) is an Ubuntu Forums thread in which there's a link to some filefinder service. I just downloaded it from one of those 2 servers and installed it. It so happens that the installer I downloaded through there is a newer version than the patch I downloaded from the T2 installation instructions wiki.

Short step-by-step:
    1. Pick one.
    2. Install.
    3. Continue from step 2.
    4. ???
    5. PROFIT!
    Post edited by ... on
  • You forgot "Underpants".
  • You forgot "Underpants".
    That's already covered in your step-by-step. Note how it's just nested into mine, thus the requirement of me putting in 'Underpants" has been covered.
  • edited October 2008
    You forgot "Underpants".
    That's already covered in your step-by-step. Note how it's just nested into mine, thus the requirement of me putting in 'Underpants" has been covered.
    Does this mean double profit?

I've written a short guide:
    How to play Tribes 2: "Lets Tribes 2"
  • Download here, here or here. Bittorent [Add links later].
    No links!
    Does this mean double profit?
    Of course, and double ???s.
    No links!
    Happy now?!
    No links!
    Happy now?!
    O.o Both HTTP download mirrors are only 80MB. Clearly that is wrong.
  • Well, make yourself useful and find the proper downloads.
    edited October 2008
    1. Pick one.
    Done, and done.

EDIT: What map were you on with Vhdblood in that screenshot btw?
    Post edited by ... on
  • edited October 2008
    I think we should start working on gathering up as many of the Tribes 2 maps as we can before the sites that host them go down. I want to make a pack with the game, patches, server crack and maps so that it doesn't die permanently.

Also, Afa wins half an internet.
    Can't remember what map, I can find it if you want.
  • I think we should start working on gathering up as many of the Tribes 2 maps as we can
    None of the unofficial maps were good as far as I can recall.
  • edited October 2008
    I doubt that. I know the wheat:chaff ratio is pretty high in user made maps but there are usually a few ones worth playing.
    Also, what is the maximum player count?
  • edited October 2008
    :S I'm interested in trying Tribes 2, but from experience, the ping from Australia to both Europe and the U.S. tends to suck.

Zombie Master was playable when I played it with Nineless, but ZM isn't directly pvp in the usual sense.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • I doubt that. I know the wheat:chaff ratio is pretty high in user made maps but there are usually a few ones worth playing.
    I don't think you understand what Tribes was like. No one really played the custom maps or modded servers. Every popular server ran vanilla only. Then, part of what killed the game were the mods. They were awful, and as the vanilla servers slowly went dark, most players refused to play on the modded ones. Eventually, all that were left were a handful of mostly empty modded servers with custom maps.

I never downloaded a custom map in the entire time I played Tribes, and never did I run into a server with one in the rotation.
  • Then, part of what killed the game were the mods.
    I've seen one or two mods for T2 on the internet. Portable nuke? What the hell. The vehicles are also horrendous mash-ups from existing ones. Rather sad to see actually.
  • Let's get this server up and running. I want in.
  • VHblood will have one up in a few days. Don't rush the guy.
    Should we stick to playing DM until we have enough people playing regularly?
  • edited October 2008
    VHblood will have one up in a few days. Don't rush the guy.
    Should we stick to playing DM until we have enough people playing regularly?
    I know in tribes 1 there was like a duel thing you could get going? Think we could also do that? I found it quite fun.
    Post edited by Mosquitoboy on
  • edited October 2008
    We have to play the DM map "Confuceo", just for the loading text.
  • edited October 2008
    I don't think VHblood is setting up a server. Can people ask around to see if they know anyone with a decent upload speed and spare box to run a static server from.
  • edited October 2008
    I don't think VHblood is setting up a server. Can people ask around to see if they know anyone with a decent upload speed and spare box to run a static server from.
    Aww hell. I have been reading up on T2 tactics all day. I really hope we get to play.
    Trashing on computers constantly is no fun at all.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • I'm sorry guys. I haven't been in contact much because my roommates just moved out on me and left me with all the bills to pay. Luckily, my dad is the landlord, but things have been crazy around the house. I've been chilling at a friend's house while I resolve the issue, but rest assured, when I can, I'll have a server up.
  • I'm sorry guys. I haven't been in contact much because my roommates just moved out on me and left me with all the bills to pay. Luckily, my dad is the landlord, but things have been crazy around the house. I've been chilling at a friend's house while I resolve the issue, but rest assured, when I can, I'll have a server up.
    Wow, that sucks. Good luck with all that.
  • *sigh*
    I setup a temporary server at ihas.homeip.net:28000
    Will be running it for a few days, maybe weeks, if nothing crazy happens
    Try it, I'm not 100% sure I configured firewall correctly

Running version 25034, nomod, nobots, Katabatic map, teamdamage on, dedicated, 64max players
    Otherwise a default config
    Server is in Europe, +2GMT on a 1M/1M connection

Comments, request, recommendations, etc. are welcome
    Let's see how it goes

P.S. I mean you no disrespect Mr. Period.
  • edited October 2008
    Thank you Anonymous!
    DNS resolves ok but I'm not getting a connection. Would you mind checking port forwarding?
    Also, have you run the patch that allows LAN clients to connect?
  • Yep, messed up one thing. Try again please
  • Ok, server works fine with two people playing from Europe. Should do until someone sorts out a more centric server.
  • Ooh! I shall join as well!

If it's only a 1M upload that we need, I suppose I might be able to get a server running. Long-term, I'm getting a 10M synchronous fiber connection, but that might not be for a couple of months. When it happens, I will definitely have a dedicated server box. Lulz, of course, at ridiculously fast internet going to a ridiculously shitty house. I might explore some other speeds, though, since the fiber connection can go from 1M to 10Gigabit. We'll see how much it costs (I don't think I'll go any higher than 25M, honestly).