This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 080708 - Tribes 2

Comments

• edited July 2008
    Okay, I have done the following with a legit copy of T2:

Installed from CD (I've had it for ages).
    Applied update from that T2wiki site.
    Changed the shortcuts as per the T2wiki recommendation.
    Put the recommended scripts in the base folder.
    I am NOT running DefenseTurret.
    I created a login using my CD key which was recently reset by the helpful people over at Vivendi.

My online server list populated, immediately, in Online mode. Nothing special was done. No insert-trick or anything. My CD key was recognized, my logon was accepted, and I was able to get online and play on some server populated mostly with bots and that had some stupid mod that had some ludicrously powerful guns on it. The mod was awful, but the game works, and works well from what I can tell.

The whole insert-trick must be for those of you who want to play the game from the download without a key. The game is ass-cheap on Amazon.com. and I'd sport the $15 for a new copy if I were you. The other option is to go to Vivendi and ask for a cd-key reset. This saves a hell of a lot of hassle.
    Post edited by GreatTeacherMacRoss on
  • Wait, so the authentication servers are still up? I will have to see this for myself.
  • edited July 2008
    Wait, so the authentication servers are still up? I will have to see this for myself.
    Apparently. The problem seems to come from trying to play the game from the free download over the LAN using the insert-workaround. Spend $15, get the game, and save yourself the hassle.
  • edited July 2008
    Damn, I must have created an account when I got this years ago. Will try and work this out.
    Could you download and install the one from the wiki as it comes with the "T2 Classic" mod, if it isn't too much hassle.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • Could you download and install the one from the wiki as it comes with the "T2 Classic" mod, if it isn't too much hassle.
    Wait, didn't that mod come with the update? I recall spotting something about T2 Classic among the installed files when updating.
  • Could you download and install the one from the wiki as it comes with the "T2 Classic" mod, if it isn't too much hassle.
    Wait, didn't that mod come with the update? I recall spotting something about T2 Classic among the installed files when updating.
    Yes, it's there in the patch. If you need your CD key released, e-mail tribes2account@activision.com or follow directions at Vivendi's online tech support. Took about a week for me.
  • Find someone in college with a static IP, a fat pipe, and a spare machine.
    >_> Hi guys.
    You will have to wait until I go back to school in August if you want to use my comp.
    We wait.
    So, what's the deal on this? School's back in session, are we going to play TRIBES 2?
  • I just re-listened to the tribes episode again and it sounded like Halo with jet packs and some other game mechanics.
  • I just re-listened to the tribes episode again and it sounded like Halo with jet packs and some other game mechanics.
    I could be wrong, but that's probably the last thing you want to say here.
  • So, what's the deal on this? School's back in session, are we going to play TRIBES 2?
    I'll have some free time on Sunday, but classes are real busy this semester (19 hours).
  • We still need a server, if someone has a static IP with plenty of upload (college connection basically) we should be good to go using the LAN insert key method.
  • We still need a server, if someone has a static IP with plenty of upload (college connection basically) we should be good to go using the LAN insert key method.
    We've confirmed that Insert-LAN works right?
  • edited September 2008
    I'll mess around with it and try get a copy of the game, if I'm lucky I might find one.
    I just re-listened to the tribes episode again and it sounded like Halo with jet packs and some other game mechanics.
    I could be wrong, but that's probably the last thing you want to say here.
    I'm use to getting my balls busted for saying stuff on the forums.
    Post edited by CHOIS CHOIS CHOIS on
  • Actually, he's right. Tribes 2 is pretty close to Halo with jet packs, if Halo had big maps with wide open terrain.

The thing you don't understand is just how much jet packs change an fps. Suddenly the game is no longer as much about shooting as it is about maneuvering. Play that Legions game at instantaction.com, and you'll see what I mean.
  • Yes, it's there in the patch. If you need your CD key released, e-mail tribes2account@activision.com or follow directions at Vivendi's online tech support. Took about a week for me.
    This is an automatically generated Delivery Status Notification.

Delivery to the following recipients failed.

tribes2account@activision.com

Where is this so-called Vivendi tech support? I can't find it.
  • edited September 2008
    From the Sierra Entertainment Games Support Website:
    Problem: Getting an error message that states CD key is in use or if you've forgotten any of your login information.

Answer: Please send an email to tribes2account@vugames.com and state the specific problem you are encountering with this account or cd-key.

Include in the message your Tribes 2 Cd-key number exactly as it is shown on the package, along with a picture or scanned image file ( .JPG or .BMP format only) of the cd with cd-key showing (to verify ownership of the CD key).
    I received the e-mail from the other address that you tried to send your key to, hence the confusion. The picture they want is actually the cover of the CD case that has the key on it.
  • The picture they want is actually the cover of the CD case that has the key on it.
    Well fuck, then. I just have the CD key in my text file of CD keys. I threw away most of my CDs a long time ago.
  • The picture they want is actually the cover of the CD case that has the key on it.
    Well fuck, then. I just have the CD key in my text file of CD keys. I threw away most of my CDs a long time ago.
    It's still worth a try. If not, $15 will get you a new copy.
  • Ok, everyone. Forget about trying to get your keys reset. It's over.

Sierra closing 21 game servers.
  • We'd already thought about that. We can play via Hamachi but will be limited to 16 players. If there was some way to fool the program into not checking what kind of IP address it's getting we could establish an open server.
  • If there was some way to fool the program into not checking what kind of IP address it's getting we could establish an open server.
    Well, how does it determine "LAN" versus "Internet?" A lot of LANS have public IPs, yet Tribes still worked just fine on them in LAN mode. It's not the IP that matters, it's the local broadcast traffic.

Actually, I'll bet we could write a special, unencrypted (for speed) client designed to bridge n LANs for the express purpose of playing Tribes 2. I'll sniff out the traffic this weekend and see just what it's doing.
  • I have two ideas, and we should do both of them.

Idea number one is that we should just have a LAN party. It's the easiest solution. I'm talking about PAX EAST '10, or perhaps even PAX '09.

Idea number two is to start a petition to save Tribes 2. In the petition we should list several options for Sierra, any one of which would save the game.

1) Keep the server running, but turn off the need for keys and such.
    2) Open source the entire game, server, and everything.
    3) Let someone else run the server without opening the source.
    4) Make Tribes 3 ASAP.
    5) Can you think of any others?
  • edited October 2008
    Actually, I'll bet we could write a special, unencrypted (for speed) client designed to bridge n LANs for the express purpose of playing Tribes 2. I'll sniff out the traffic this weekend and see just what it's doing.
    That, IMO, as well as the other stuff Scott said.
    Though I wouldn't get to play it with you guys either way, ping from Australia ftl.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • 2) Open source the entire game, server, and everything.
    Yes please. I don't think 1 and 4 would be considered by Sierra, but they won't lose anything from Open sourcing it.
  • From what I remember, in LAN mode tribes 2 "game host" checks if the connecting client is in same "class b" network.
    We first ran into this problem because Hamachi uses 5.x.x.x and some of us were on different networks as far as tribes was concerned.
    I googled around, and found this changelog for linux version of the game:
    Changes for 23115:
    ========================
    - (bug fix) Fixed an authentication hole that allowed arbitrary IP connections to a LAN server. The policy now is: LAN servers will disallow any connections from IP addresses that do not match the Class B network address of the server (or match one of them, in a multihomed server). So if your server's address is 12.13.14.15, clients from 12.13.*.* will be considered, but clients from 12.12.*.* will be immediately rejected. In addition, a LAN server will only allow 4 unique Class C ids at any one time. This should be sufficiently lenient for even the largest LAN parties, but should eliminate the auth hole.
    This explains what Rym remembers
    Well, how does it determine "LAN" versus "Internet?" A lot of LANS have public IPs, yet Tribes still worked just fine on them in LAN mode. It's not the IP that matters, it's the local broadcast traffic.
    Btw, from my firewall logs it appears that tribes only uses broadcasts to discover games in the "lobby", and you don't need that if you have server ip and use insert ip method. Everything else is UDP to port 28000.

Anyways, after more googling I found some patch that removed class b check and it worked, for both Hamachi network and regular internet LAN games as already mentioned above in this thread. As i mentioned above, only those who wish to host needs to patch the game.

I think we used already patched .exe from file mentioned here(after hunting down broken links for hew hours). There seem to be other patches, but I just picked the first thing that worked.

P.S. I mean you no disrespect Mr. Period.
  • Anyways, after more googling I found some patch that removed class b check and it worked, for both Hamachi network and regular internet LAN games as already mentionedabove in this thread. As i mentioned above, only those who wish to host needs to patch the game.
    So we just need someone to run a server.
    edited October 2008
    Why the bloody hell did an account called 'bugmenot' get allowed to join the forums? This only allows for spammers to run into the forums without having to do a thing!
    Post edited by ... on
  • Why the bloody hell did an account called 'bugmenot' get allowed to join the forums? This only allows for spammers to run into the forums without having to do a thing!
    It made a good post, so what's the problem?
  • Why the bloody hell did an account called 'bugmenot' get allowed to join the forums? This only allows for spammers to run into the forums without having to do a thing!
    Hey kettle, Your black!
  • Hey kettle, Your black!
    His black what?