This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 080708 - Tribes 2

Comments

• I got in. It seems pretty steady.
  • edited October 2008
    Problem is, CTF is going to need a lot of people to get working. 20 at the least.
    If it's only a 1M upload that we need, I suppose I might be able to get a server running.
    What were connection speeds like when this came out?

@Andrew: What kind of ping are you getting?
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • The insert thing doesn't work for me. Is it because I have a happy hacking keyboard?
  • Never mind, I got it to work. Server looks like it is functioning. I do question whether or not it can actually handle 65 players. I also highly doubt we will ever get 65 players. We should only be so lucky.
  • Hey, perhaps we should make it a DM or TDM while we gather more players? What do you guys think?

(Also, working fine for me.)
  • Hey, perhaps we should make it a DM or TDM while we gather more players? What do you guys think?

(Also, working fine for me.)
    Rabbit is the best playmode for not having enough players.
  • I think you can change game mode, map etc. if you vote yourself to become an admin.
  • edited October 2008
    Rabbit is the best playmode for not having enough players.
    Should also help make up for the gap in experience. Yarimasho! [Lets Play!]
  • Rabbit is the best playmode for not having enough players.
    Hardly. No mode works with less than 16 people. Not that it matters, since the majority of players appear to be unable to grasp the goal of Rabbits, or the use of a weapon.
  • Remember what I told you about the difference between facts an opinion..
    I think my Microsoft optical mouse isn't going to cut it any more.
  • edited October 2008
    He said "the best," equivalent to "least useless," not "a good."
    I tried playing with 400-500 ping (as it was the only way I could play it with other humans); it was an interesting experience. I hadn't played before, so with that and the ping anyone who died to me should have been rather embarrassed.
    Considering even the people I was shooting at didn't know where they would be in 1 second, it was pretty hopeless for me.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • Remember what I told you about the difference between facts an opinion...
    You told me nothing. Besides, what I stated was more fact than opinion. Firing a chaingun does nothing when you are at more than 50 game-lengths away. It's a close quarters weapon to rip people up. You also should not be using a blaster or a sniper rifle or a shocklance in Rabbit since you need the energy to move.
    He said "the best," equivalent to "least useless," not "a good."
    This I know and realize, but is irrelevant since we can't play without having more people. Rabbits starts to become playable/enjoyable/played at about 16 people I say, which is pretty much the lowest number of players since every other mode needs a ton more people.
    Considering even the people I was shooting at didn't know where they would be in 1 second, it was pretty hopeless for me.
    Those people lie or are incredibly stupid.
  • 1 second is a long time in FPS terms.
  • Oh, very well then Nineless. I personally found the chaingun pretty useful.
  • 1 second is a long time in FPS terms.
    There are two possibilities. 1) You're dead 1 second from now, or 2) you are where you were going.
    Oh, very well then Nineless. I personally found the chaingun pretty useful.
    You managed to empty the chaingun and hit 3 times. That is not useful.
  • edited October 2008
    Oh, very well then Nineless. I personally found the chaingun pretty useful.
    You managed to empty the chaingun and hit 3 times. That is not useful.
    As opposed to what? While going full speed in the opposite direction.
    Oh, never mind. You have that name for a reason.
  • There are two possibilities. 1) You're dead 1 second from now, or 2) you are where you were going.
    Or 3) You reacted to one of many other stimuli in the game (dodging in particular) Or 4) You weren't accurate enough in estimating where you would be.
  • There are two possibilities. 1) You're dead 1 second from now, or 2) you are where you were going.
    Or 3) You reacted to one of many other stimuli in the game (dodging in particular) Or 4) You weren't accurate enough in estimating where you would be.
    You can dodge and still go where you want to go. If you fail at going where you want to go, correct your flight more in the air.
  • So, all you guys have had a decent amount of time to play this game by now, right?

Here's my question: Do you think this game lives up or has the potential to live up to Scrym's hype?
  • Here's my question: Do you think this game lives up or has the potential to live up to Scrym's hype?
    Until we have enough people I don't have an opinion really. It's meant to be about the teamplay.
  • edited October 2008
    You can dodge and still go where you want to go. If you fail at going where you want to go, correct your flight more in the air.
    Where you want to go is very very different to *almost exactly* where you want to go.

In order to hit someone with 500 ms ping, you need to know *almost exactly* where they will be in 1 second...
  • Until we have enough people I don't have an opinion really.
    This is why I included the phrase "potential to live up to".
    edited October 2008
    Here's my question: Do you think this game lives up or has the potential to live up to Scrym's hype?
    Impossible to tell without more brains. EDIT:
    This is why I included the phrase "potential to live up to".
    Okay, then yes.
    Where you want to go is very very different to *almost exactly* where you want to go.
    Do not fail to understand that your goal is fluid at all times. But yes, you'll have to live with your 500 ping. :)
    Post edited by ... on
  • edited October 2008
    It was interesting to try to play like that; I mostly did so because of the novelty factor, and probably partly to screw myself over as I needed to do lots of work today.
  • It was interesting to try to play like that; I mostly did so because of the novelty factor, and probably partly to screw myself over as I needed to do lots of work today.
    I still want to help you get familiar with jetpacking. :\ You were horrendous, being outrun by an Assault armour, and I was having a horrible time flying like that.
  • Yes; I didn't know about skiing at the time, and I didn't even know about energy packs.
    Still, if there will be no server worth playing on, I doubt I'll bother learning anything either.
  • I can see the difficulty curve being a problem in attracting new players. Having teams might help but it can be difficult to the point of frustration.
  • I can see the difficulty curve being a problem in attracting new players. Having teams might help but it can be difficult to the point of frustration.
    People should just play through the single player before joining the server.
    Still, if there will be no server worth playing on, I doubt I'll bother learning anything either.
    Pessimist!
  • edited October 2008
    People should just play through the single player before joining the server.
    I finished most of the single player as a kid, it could just be damnnoob (the Anonymouse poster running the server) is inhumanly good/has a lot of time on his hands.
  • I finished most of the single player as a kid, it could just be damnnoob (the Anonymouse poster running the server) is inhumanly good/has a lot of time on his hands.
    Then again, the prior occurs after the latter. He can aim, that's all. He utterly fails at defending anything from past experiences. I'm trying to play through the single player on Hard now, but my sound keeps cutting out. At which point I'm doomed for certain since no sound = no knowledge of what the hell happens outside my field of vision.