This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 080708 - Tribes 2

Comments

• I can't seem to join the server. I was on Geekchat with 2 others who were playing, so I know the server was up.

I opened Tribes 2 Solo & Lan, hit the Launch button, clicked Lan Game, clicked Join, hit the Insert key on my keyboard, Pasted in ihas.homeip.net:28000, Hit done.
    A server shows up, but it is empty, it has a red circle with a line in it in the status column with no name, ping, or even players.
    If I go to server info I am told...
    The Ip is 80.223.215.162:28000

Is there some option in the options menu I need checked, or something I am not thinking of? I don't think it's my firewall.
  • It's not your fault. It's damn_n00b his fault for he did something he does not understand and now the port is 21300. For the future, never bother adding a port number when you are adding servers. The correct port'll be added automatically.
  • Actually it was my router... I don't know how to fix it, so I just won't use my router when I play.
  • Mosquitoboy:
    Are you're from 24.218.135.x? Serverlog shows someone trying to connect from there and failing much like lackofcheese at one point.

Got challenge request
    Sent challenge response x5

My only guess for that is that there's too much lag and client gave up on connecting when it didn't hear from the server. With lackofcheese and his ping of 500 it might have been the case. With you, I don't know.
    Maybe if/when we get a server in north america the issue will resolve by itself.

must flame everyone:
    Could you provide a screenshot with my server in the list, responsive and on port 21300?
    It's quite impossible for it to respond there, as there are at least three set of rules blocking the way to that port not to mention that tribes server isn't on that port.

Also, if any of you do manage to connect to server, and you can easily check which port you're actually sending packets to, please do that, and possibly give a screenshot. I'm connecting from inside the NAT, so I can't check if my router is acting funny with it's portforwarding.
  • You fixed it. Now I get one entry (on port 28000) when I hit insert and give "ihas.homeip.net" as ip address. 21300 gives a time-out now, so what had you done to get it on that port in the first place?
  • Goofing around on Kabatic while talking on Skype and listening to music from the 1950s = Hilarity.
  • I didn't do anything.
    I did make some minor config changes on the server but nothing that would affect any mysterious ports. This problem, if exists, sounds more like a firmware bug in my router anyway...
    *shrug*
  • Goofing around on Kabatic while talking on Skype and listening to music from the 1950s = Hilarity.
    Awww man...
    I did make some minor config changes on the server but nothing that would affect any mysterious ports. This problem, if exists, sounds more like a firmware bug in my router anyway...
    Ok, and get yourself an identity on the forum. :\
  • edited October 2008
    Ok, and get yourself an identity on the forum. :\
    I vote for him/her staying anonymous. :)
    Post edited by Mosquitoboy on
  • Ok, and get yourself an identity on the forum. :\
    I vote for him/her staying anonymous. :)
    He's not anonymous, he merely poked a hole in the wall through which anyone can get in.
    :3

Benny Goodman + Tribes 2 = Interesting.
  • *sigh*
    The server is down. It crashed sometime last night, and starting this morning I'm having some unrelated ISP trouble so it'll be down for unknown while.
    I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • Oh noes. Someone would do to make a stateside server, methinks. We're getting pretty bad lag (>300) on anon's server.
  • If I could get the necessary software and instructions I might be able to get a server going. Right now I have neither.
  • edited October 2008
    As long as your ip doesn't change you need just the client software (there is an option for creating a dedicated server in the server setup) and the patch here.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • So... is this dead? Have we forgotten that we want to do this?
    We really can't set up a server? That's kinda sad. A forum of geeks and no one can host a tribes 2 server.
    We really can't set up a server? That's kinda sad.A forum of geeks and no one can host a tribes 2 server.
    Then why haven't you set one up?
    We really can't set up a server? That's kinda sad. A forum of geeks and no one can host a tribes 2 server.
    Eh, dude, we CAN set up a server, we've done is multiple times already, it's trivial. Hosting a server is something different, bandwidth comes into the equation then, not everyone has a huge pipe or a good location, there is also the lack of players, I for one have never seen you play the game. How are we supposed to play a game when we need more people, like you. Instead you whine about people losing interest because nobody else joins or organizes. I for one would love to play Tribes 2 as it should be played, my time zone however prevents me from being online when the whole of the US is online and willing to play.
  • my time zone however prevents me from being online when the whole of the US is online and willing to play.
    There are exceptions, however ;^)
  • my time zone however prevents me from being online when the whole of the US is online and willing to play.
    There are exceptions, however ;^)
    Rarely.
  • Ok people, how do we solve this problem? We need to somehow trigger a critical mass of players to start playing all at the same time. Maybe an event of some kind? We could set up a website to tell people how to do it and then direct as many people to it as possible.
  • The real problem is not setting up a server, or figuring out how to make it work. The problem is getting 40+ players to make it work all at the same time, all within a good ping of the server.
  • Well, what were Tr2 servers hosted on in the before-time? If we can duplicate that then we have to solve the problem of players.
  • Well, what were Tr2 servers hosted on in the before-time?
    There were servers close enough to all of the players that everyone had a local one with low ping.
  • If the game was created in 2001, how can it be such a big problem nowadays to have a big enough pipe for 40+ players? It seems like it should be - if not trivially - relatively easy to get a good enough server to host a tribes 2 game. You would think that it would be easy enough to do such a thing considering how long 7 years is in terms of technology.
  • If the game was created in 2001, how can it be such a big problem nowadays to have a big enough pipe for 40+ players?
    As with all games like this, all of the good servers were hosted on college campuses with good networks. There were local servers for everyone. Now, we have people all over the world who want to play on ONE server. It will thus be sub-optimally placed for all involved. Any old game will have this same problem.
    It seems like it should be - if not trivially - relatively easy to get a good enough server to host a tribes 2 game.
    Consumer Internet connections can't usually handle lots of upstream connections and tend to have high latency, especially worldwide. Someone would have to pay for real hosting. As you need a fairly powerful machine to run a good server, you can't just use a cheap-o webhost.

If someone wants to pay for it, set it up, and maintain it, more power to them.
  • Also, the problem is less about getting the server up and more about getting enough actual people.
  • Then why haven't you set one up?
    I have a laptop that can not run Half life 2, as my gaming computer. I won't be able to change this until I can finish college. I know for a fact that my lappy will not be able to handle doing this.
    Eh, dude, we CAN set up a server, we've done is multiple times already, it's trivial. Hosting a server is something different, bandwidth comes into the equation then, not everyone has a huge pipe or a good location, there is also the lack of players, I for one have never seen you play the game.
    You weren't there with me and my odd connection issues during that geek chat? It was when we were listening to music from the 1950s. You missed out... kinda.
    Instead you whine about people losing interest because nobody else joins or organizes.
    Whining? I would call my post more of an egging on, by saying people here weren't geeks because they couldn't host the server. Also it continued to keep the topic by the front page so people wouldn't forget about it like they have done for many of the other things this forum has tried to get done.

So why don't we schedule an event for like 3 weeks from now on a weekend? People can mark it down on a calender, or what ever they have to do. We can choose a weekend, thus people/kids can stay up later then usual for you to play with them. Then you wouldn't be able to wine about your timezone keeping you down or the lack of people on the server at a single time. ;)
  • I have a laptop that can not run Half life 2, as my gaming computer. I won't be able to change this until I can finish college. I know for a fact that my lappy will not be able to handle doing this.
    Nothing was said about you having to run it on your laptop. :)
    You weren't there with me and my odd connection issues during that geek chat? It was when we were listening to music from the 1950s. You missed out... kinda.
    Nope, I sleep at night.
    Whining? I would call my post more of an egging on, by saying people here weren't geeks because they couldn't host the server. Also it continued to keep the topic by the front page so people wouldn't forget about it like they have done for many of the other things this forum has tried to get done.
    It's still whining, and as I already said, true, we can't host a server but how the fuck does that relate to being a geek or not? Bottom line, you were just being an insulting whiner who bumped the topic back up to the front page with flamebait.
    So why don't we schedule an event for like 3 weeks from now on a weekend? People can mark it down on a calender, or what ever they have to do. We can choose a weekend, thus people/kids can stay up later then usual for you to play with them. Then you wouldn't be able to wine about your timezone keeping you down or the lack of people on the server at a single time. ;)
    Actually I would still be able to mention that my time zone limits my ability to have fun playing Tribes 2 in the way it's supposed to be played. So screw your little idea for we all know from experience (Geekchat) that planning ahead does not happen. Sure, you might think you have a 'great' idea, but why the hell don't you schedule it yourself and try to get 40+ people to commit to playing then. Good luck twork.

• It's still whining, and as I already said, true, we can't host a server but how the fuck does that relate to being a geek or not? Bottom line, you were just being an insulting whiner who bumped the topic back up to the front page with flamebait.
    Your going to have to define these terms you are using for me, since the definition I know is http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flamebait and I must say that if you believe my intent was to "provoke an angry response (a "flame") or argument", then you didn't read my last post. I said the reason I posted was to hopefully coax people on the forum into doing something about it, by trying to create a connection between them not being able to make a tribes 2 server and not belonging to the subculture they subscribe themselves to. Using guilt and shame would be an appropriate definition for what I was doing, and I believe shaming people is how geeknights keeps people spelling correctly, so I felt, why not use the same tactic to keep a server up and running?
    Actually I would still be able to mention that my time zone limits my ability to have fun playing Tribes 2 in the way it's supposed to be played. So screw your little idea for we all know from experience (Geekchat) that planning ahead does not happen. Sure, you might think you have a 'great' idea, but why the hell don't you schedule it yourself and try to get 40+ people to commit to playing then. Good luck twork.
    twork- Staying at home with your significant other kissin, rubbin and making sweet love from 11pm till 6 in the morning. Uhh I don't follow. What does this have to do with anything, please explain. Is it even an insult?
    The only time I have seen us plan a geek chat, far in advance, was 3 weeks ago (I think or was it 4). There were so many people Sonic states he was unsure if it would work. I think we had 13+ instead of the usual 5 or so. Sonic even remarked on how this was almost 3 times the usual amount of people, or so I recall.

Well, since I believe you will reply with more swears and slang about having sex, which I imagine was probably meant to be an insult by the way you usually post, I am going to have to stop this discussion. This wasn't and still isn't what this thread was made to do, so we should understand that and try and rear it back on topic. If you wish to attack me more to make yourself feel better, even though it will not be read by me, you can feel free to private msg me. I am saying this because this conversation isn't going anywhere positive, and this was not the intention of me posting my original post. Though I believe this is what you may have wanted from your response.