This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 080708 - Tribes 2

Comments

• What's the Geekhaus's upload speed like?
    No static IP.
  • Ok, how are we going to get a server?
  • edited July 2008
    Find someone in college with a static IP, a fat pipe, and a spare machine.
    >_> Hi guys.
    You will have to wait until I go back to school in August if you want to use my comp.
    We wait.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • So, how is the whole patchwork thing coming along? Should I install and patch it up? or is there a specific level of pachitude that is acceptable?
  • So, how is the whole patchwork thing coming along? Should I install and patch it up? or is there a specific level of pachitude that is acceptable?
    I'm also curious about this. I installed from my CD last night, just to see if it'd work, and there was some auto-updater that DL'ed two update patches and applied them. I still need to hunt down my instruction manual for my serial # so I can access online play.
  • I'm also curious about this. I installed from my CD last night, just to see if it'd work, and there was some auto-updater that DL'ed two update patches and applied them. I still need to hunt down my instruction manual for my serial # so I can access online play.
    You posted the wiki link, but it appears you haven't read it at all. The Authentication server is no more. There are no more CD-KEYs or anything. You have to run the game in LAN mode then manually add IP addresses of servers to play on.

Also, you probably don't want those automatic updates. There is a link in the wiki to download the "one true update." You should use that update, and disable the automatic updating.
  • I keep getting and Unhandled Exception error; I can't even start the first training mission. Anyone familiar with this error that knows how to help?
  • edited July 2008
    Alrighty. I followed the directions on the wiki link with the exception of installing from the CD as opposed to the downloadable .exe file since it refused to install. The Update took without any issue, defense turret is installed, and now all I need is an IP.

EDIT: SUCCESS! Go to Elite Warriors. Make sure you have Teamspeak2. They seem to be a really great community.
    Post edited by GreatTeacherMacRoss on
  • It was rather amusing to hear you guys ripping into Diablo II as I was playing it.

There are two situations in which I'll play Diablo II. First, when there's a bunch of friends playing in the same room with me like in college. Second, when I want to play something which doesn't require too much thought so I can listen to podcasts (or Japanese learning tapes) at the same time.
  • I might buy Diablo 3, but only if I can get enough of my friends to get it as well. I think I just want to enjoy the social experience of the co-op above everything else.
  • edited July 2008
    @Mr.Mac: I can ping that server but it seems I can't connect with the LAN client. Looking into this..

Follow up:
    I seem to get a timed out error with the LAN client. When I ping the server externally I have a ping of ~170. However, the LAN client seems to wait quite a while when trying to connect.
    Another reason may be that they take the server down when they aren't using it. Can someone please check as soon as they read this.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • Hey all, installed Tribes 2 and played a ton today. Holy crap those controls are weird and insane. At first I kept switching weapons instead of moving forward whenever I had put my hand somewhere else for a second. Crazy ESDF. But I seem to get the hang of it now, skiing is a ton harder than in Legions, using the jetpack even more so, and I suck at aiming as always. Also, Scout Assassin ftw.
  • Holy crap those controls are weird and insane.
    In old FPSs, everyone just completely changed their controls to whatever they liked in every game. Just change them. ^_~
  • Try not to keep to just the scout class, they take one direct spinfusor hit to kill and you are not going to be playing against bots.
  • In old FPSs, everyone just completely changed their controls to whatever they liked in every game. Just change them. ^_~
    I thought about doing that, and was about to, untill I realized, where the hell am I going to put the others keys? I.e. 'Q', 'A', didn't feel like designing my own layout, thus just stuck with it.
    Try not to keep to just the scout class, they take one direct spinfusor hit to kill and you are not going to be playing against bots.
    Who said I was only playing the scout class? Sure the last few games I did but mainly for flying and skiing practice. Juggernauts are also great, though one can't really do much with them outside of defending (bots are still too stupid to use those vehicles, though they understand the practice of spamming "Defend the flag." over and over again in short amounts of time), the other armor class I forgot the name off, but it's a nice/fast builder.
  • In old FPSs, everyone just completely changed their controls to whatever they liked in every game. Just change them. ^_~
    I thought about doing that, and was about to, untill I realized, where the hell am I going to put the others keys? I.e. 'Q', 'A', didn't feel like designing my own layout, thus just stuck with it.
    Try not to keep to just the scout class, they take one direct spinfusor hit to kill and you are not going to be playing against bots.
    Who said I was only playing the scout class? Sure the last few games I did but mainly for flying and skiing practice. Juggernauts are also great, though one can't really do much with them outside of defending (bots are still too stupid to use those vehicles, though they understand the practice of spamming "Defend the flag." over and over again in short amounts of time), the other armor class I forgot the name off, but it's a nice/fast builder.
    Last few games? Have you been able to connect to any servers?
  • Last few games? Have you been able to connect to any servers?
    LAN against bots. Like hell am I going to connect to a server with experienced twitch-FPS players who've been playing Tribes 2 since it came out. Most likely I'd get sniped instantly whenever I spawn.
  • @Mr.Mac: I can ping that server but it seems I can't connect with the LAN client. Looking into this..

Follow up:
    I seem to get a timed out error with the LAN client. When I ping the server externally I have a ping of ~170. However, the LAN client seems to wait quite a while when trying to connect.
    Another reason may be that they take the server down when they aren't using it. Can someone please check as soon as they read this.
    I'm still trying to get confirmation that the LAN/Insert/Enter IP thing works at all. I've found a site that (supposedly) lists active Tribes 2 servers, however using the Lan/Insert technique gets me nowhere - the servers are all unresponsive. One of the EWO guys told me that I would be able to connect non-Fridays, but so far it's not working for me.
  • If that's the site I think it is, all those servers are long dead. There are, quite literally, no Tribes 2 servers.
  • Does anyone know how to fix the Unhandled Exception errors? I get one every time I try to start the first training mission.
  • If that's the site I think it is, all those servers are long dead. There are, quite literally, no Tribes 2 servers.
    Is it this one?
  • If you guys do host the servers will there be any way I can play on them? The only way I'll be able to get Tribes 2 is to pirate it since I can't buy it off Ebay or Amazon.
  • If you guys do host the servers will there be any way I can play on them? The only way I'll be able to get Tribes 2 is to pirate it since I can't buy it off Ebay or Amazon.
    Dude, it's free. Go look at the wiki posted earlier.
  • Clearly, reading the whole thread before posting has gone out of style.
  • edited July 2008
    It's abandonware so you can download it from one of the links in the guide I posted.
    [Typing on the DS is hard.]
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • edited July 2008
    If you guys do host the servers will there be any way I can play on them? The only way I'll be able to get Tribes 2 is to pirate it since I can't buy it off Ebay or Amazon.
    Dude, it's free. Go look at the wiki posted earlier.
    I read the article and it said that I need a CD-KEY to play on servers.

EDIT:Just found out that the there is no more authentication.
    Post edited by Necro on
  • Read the article and it'll tell you how to get around that.
  • Read the article and it'll tell you how to get around that.
    We still don't have confirmation that the Insert-Key-Workaround actually functions either. I mean, has anyone been able to get it to work yet? I certainly haven't.
  • Good point. I'll go through the list of servers and see if I can get something that works.
  • We still don't have confirmation that the Insert-Key-Workaround actually functions either. I mean, has anyone been able to get it to work yet? I certainly haven't.
    If we do confirm that it doesn't work, we should use Hamachi or some such.