This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 080708 - Tribes 2

Comments

• So you've been playing with horrible pings?
    If I won't be the only one with a horrible ping, I'd probably be up for a game, though I would have to obtain Tribes 2 first.
  • I'm in. As soon as I get back to my personal lap top, I'll follow the guide and get everything set up and hopefully catch up with you guys.
  • Oh god, if only I had time...
  • Is anyone up for a game this friday(If very high ping doesn't bother you)?
  • I'll see if I can get Tribes 2 to work through Hamachi. If I can, I'll be on.
  • Can someone give me some links to how I can get this game.
  • edited July 2008
    Hey You! Read this to play!
    Should save having to tell everyone over and over.
    Copied from another thread.

Our Hamachi network:
    Name: Geeknight EU
    Pass: rymandscottaregay
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • Hoooly crap. I went through a whole mess of frustration trying to get people to play Tribes with a while ago. I am friggin' in.
  • edited July 2008
    We need someone with a good connection and fast computer to host until we have a dedicated server. Any volunteers? You will need to be online 2AM GMT (there goes my chance of sleeping normally) tonight (thursday) to check against server problems. If all goes well, a decent sized deathmatch and maybe even CTF game will follow on Friday.
  • If all goes well, a decent sized deathmatch and maybe even CTF game will follow on Friday.
    If you don't have enough people, playing a game of Rabbit is a good way to go. The game doesn't require that many players, and can handle lots of players coming and going.
  • Has anyone got, in their start menu entry for Tribes 2, a sub folder labeled "Tribes 2 Classic"? It seems someone has tried to mod the original feel back into it. Game plays noticeably faster and Juggernauts seem much tougher.
  • I have a problem. Whenever I try the first training mission they lady repeats the first thing she says OVER AND OVER "our scouts report heavy derm activity in this region, stay alert". Does anyone know a fix for this?
    Has anyone got, in their start menu entry for Tribes 2, a sub folder labeled "Tribes 2 Classic"? It seems someone has tried to mod the original feel back into it. Game plays noticeably faster and Juggernauts seem much tougher.
    Yes
  • edited July 2008
    The Wiki was helping until it said I needed a serial number to play. I guess I'll search the Half-Price books for a copy.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • The Wiki washelping until itsaidIneeded a serial number to play. I guess I'll search the Half-Price books for a copy.
    Perhaps continue reading the wiki instead of instantly giving up? Or actually reading this topic?

@ Omnutia, I haven't tried T2 Classic, will do.
  • Hm, I'm having some trouble with the game, so don't expect me in until I sort things out. Hopefully soon.
  • edited July 2008
    Rather than bitching about it, Try to get them to Open source the Game. Yes, unlike you PC gamers, us Marathon gamers on the Mac got Bungie to get the game to be opened source. http://source.bungie.org/ Yeah, us Mac users actually do things other than bitch. Now I can't wait for Halo open source. * Drool *
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • Rather than bitching about it, Try to get them to Open source the Game. Yes, Unlike you PC gamers, us Marathon gamers on the Mac got Bungie to get the Game to be opened Source.http://source.bungie.org/Yeah, us Mac users actually do things other than bitch. Now I can't wait for Halo Open source. * Drool *
    Yeah, the problem is that "them" no longer exists. Everyone who works on Tribes 2 was fired.
  • edited July 2008
    What about the publishing company? Who owns the the rights now? These are the questions you should be asking if you want it to open sourced.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • What about the publishing company? Who owns the the rights now? these are the questions you should be asking if you want it to open sourced.
    It's a Sierra/Vivendi title, so was the Tribes game that was not Tribes 3.
  • Yes, Unlike you PC gamers, us Marathon gamers on the Mac got Bungie to get the game to be opened source.
    Can anyone get me a plane ticket to this guy's house? A poser needs to be punched in the face. And told that not every third word needs to be capitalized. Also, it's "open sourced", your sentences lack several words to make them actually start to flow.

Should I even bother giving you helpful advice #1?
  • edited July 2008
    Rather than bitching about it, Try to get them to Open source the Game. Yes, Unlike you PC gamers, us Marathon gamers on the Mac got Bungie to get thegameto be openedsource.http://source.bungie.org/Yeah, us Mac users actually do things other than bitch. Now I can't wait for Haloopensource. * Drool *
    Wow, you got a shitty doom clone to be open sourced. I'm not sure if I should laugh or feel pity.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • Wow, you got a shitty doom clone to be open sourced. I'm not sure if I should laugh or feel pity.
    Humour the kid and compromise with a pity laugh?

@ Morio, in case you don't know, yes, games for Windows also get open sourced, in the case of Tribes 2, the game is relatively unknown. Add to that the fact that the original developers do no longer exist, and the fact that I never even heard about Vivendi until I looked into T2 history. I doubt such an obscure company would bother open sourcing anything in an attempt to one day make a hit game out of one of their rights.
  • edited July 2008
    Add to that the fact that the original developers do no longer exist, and the fact that I never even heard about Vivendi until I looked into T2 history. I doubt such an obscure company would bother open sourcing anything in an attempt to one day make a hit game out of one of their rights.
    Actually, Vivendi is pretty big, in that until about a month ago they owned Blizzard.
    Post edited by Linkigi(Link-ee-jee) on
  • They still do.
  • Actually, Vivendi is pretty big, in that until about a month ago they owned Blizzard.
    Ooh, they're just a huge company which has a ton of companies underneath it. And don't flaunt it. I'm not having my day.
  • Just a lil' update:

I had sent Vivendi Universal's tech support a scan of my cd-case cover to have my cd-key released and re-register. A response e-mail came today letting me know the key had been released. I'll be trying to register later this week.
  • edited July 2008
    Here's something I'd like anyone to try when they get a chance:
    Get a game going in Hamachi and make sure everything works (play a round or just make sure you can enter the game).
    Then quit and get the external IP (their actual, connect-to-the-internet one.) of whoever is running the server and try connecting. Make sure you can get in game an actually play.
    Whoever is running the server, make sure to have port 128000 28000 forwarded to your PC.

If this works then it proves we can play via plain old IP and won't need to mess around using Hamachi (and it's 16 user limit), we can set up an IRC channel to talk and arrange matches.
    edited July 2008
    Whoever is running the server, make sure to have port 128000 forwarded to your PC.
    You mean 28000. Port 128000 does not exist, port numbers only go to 65536. But yes, we already tried that, successfully, we being Linkigi, s|o (damn_n00b in game) and me. We also poked at IRC and I registered #Geeknights_Tribes_2 on Freenode. Those who don't like IRC software, or can't install it can use a site like mibbit. Which uses an AJAX based webclient.
    Post edited by ... on
  • edited July 2008
    Could you tell me how to explain that for a guide I'm doing?
    With an IRC channel we won't need to divide the EU and US groups.
    Step one, go to http://www.mibbit.com.

Step two, select Freenode.net from the drop-down menu.

Step three, fill in a nickname.

Step four, put "#Geeknights_Tribes_2" in the Channel(s) field.

Step five, ??? (read, "Hit 'Go'.").

Step six, wait a second and voila. Now you have joined the #Geeknights_Tribes_2 IRC channel on irc.freenode.net.

To those of you who use IRC software like mIRC, Icechat, Irssi or whathaveyou:
    Step one, start up your software.
    Step two, enter "/connect irc.freenode.net".
    Step three, enter "/j #Geeknights_Tribes_2".
    Step four, ???.
    Step five, PROFIT!
    Step six, you have no successfully connected to the #Geeknights_Tribes_2 IRC channel on irc.freenode.net.