This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 080708 - Tribes 2

Comments

• edited July 2008
    Gathering more information, not sure how useful this is.
    It seems the alternate master server is still up, or at least, I get an error when I turn my wireless off. If someone has two computers could they do the "swap out the exe for the included server exe" and then try and find it on the alt server with the other one.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • Gathering more information, not sure how usefulthisis.
    It seems the alternate master server is still up, or at least, I get an error when I turn my wireless off. If someone has two computers could they do the "swap out the exe for the included server exe" and then try and find it on the alt server with the other one.
    That was posted December 9, 2007, so who knows if it is still true. Someone else test it first.
  • Someone else test it first.
    GO guinea pig, GO! GO guinea pig, GO! GO guinea pig, GO!

Hey, at least I show support, can't do much else.
  • I honestly doubt I could have found something more recent.
  • edited July 2008
    Well, I got Tribes 2 installed and patched (using the patch on the wiki), but I can't seem to play. Although I have a fast computer, I'm getting 1-2 FPS on the lowest settings. I'm not sure why...

EDIT: Ah, got it to work. Any news on a server?
    Post edited by YoshoKatana on
  • I'm going to set up the server box this week and see if people can connect to it. This way we can know if the LAN work around actually works or if we need to find an alternative like Hamachi.
  • edited July 2008
    I've turned the AI up to full and have been practicing skiing by jet pack bouncing across flat surfaces beginning to see what makes this game hard.
  • edited July 2008
    Ok! Using hamachi as a last resort, me and the other myself have been playing deathmatch for about an hour, it's fun but I can't seem to make him walk past my satchel charges..

Hamachi network is: Geeknights EU
    Password: rymandscottaregay

You still need to do the insert technique, get the server IP from Hamachi or post below when you are hosting a game.
    I think it'd be worth the £2.50~ monthly to get larger games going. We should also try the normal internet method too as it will still probably work.
    edited July 2008
    What do you get when you are me, and you let Omnutia play on your server. You get killed. And hope to get a kill in by being a sneaky bastard, Central Tower Omnutia?

Yes, we got it to work over Hamachi.
    Proof of this event!
    but I can't seem to make him walk past my satchel charges..
    Wait... you placed satchel charges? I saw one on a platform in that Hellish level...
    Post edited by ... on
  • I should have left them inside the resupply buildings.
  • I should have left them inside the resupply buildings.
    On the Invo's. I should remember that.
  • Hamachi, for those who were wondering like I was, is a program that makes a VPN over the internet. It sort of fakes a LAN.

Onimutia, myself, you guys should post exactly what you did to get it to work so we all know.

Also, why would there be the $5 fee per month for larger games?
  • Onimutia
  • Onimutia, myself, you guys should post exactly what you did to get it to work so we all know.
    We both installed Hamachi and Tribes 2 with the update. Made sure neither of our firewalls, software and hardware were preventing us from playing. While Omnutia was still downloading the patch, he apparently deletes those things, I started a server, and waited, with 16 bots, and then suddenly I read a cry about "I see it!" or something to that extent. He then joined the game, said he couldn't find me, then said he found me and made me very confused. I should've paid more attention since he couldn't find me in-game. While I was blasting away at his generators.
    Also, why would there be the $5 fee per month for larger games?
    Dunno, something with Hamachi I think. There's a premium option, so you probably can only make a network with a lot/unlimited users if you have Premium. Otherwise it's 16 I guess.
  • A Hamachi network can have 16 Free connections and 256 paid connections connected to a network. If people who play regularly pay, we can free up more space for people who are new.
    I also created a separate EU group, mostly to deal with time zones.

For the record, MS was siting on the balcony above the the corridor that connects the two parts of the base on Kabaltic so I shot him, tabbed out, told him I'd shot him, then tabbed back in but accidentally clicked and blew myself up against a wall.
  • edited July 2008
    I also created a separate EU group, mostly to deal with time zones.
    Timezones are nowhere near as much a problem as international ping times, surely?

Then again, I don't know much about those between, say, Europe and the U.S., only that they're horrible from Australia to almost anywhere.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • Awesome. I wouldn't mind helping out for some awesome Tribes 2 action!
  • edited July 2008
    Timezones are nowhere near as much a problem as international ping times, surely?
    I'm in the UK which is closest to the USA and my ping times are usually under 200 for American servers but when it's 11 at night there it's 4 in the morning here and that will get worse going across Europe to the east.
  • Timezones are nowhere near as much a problem as international ping times, surely?
    I'm in the UK which is closest to the USA and my ping times are usually under 200 for American servers but when it's 11 at night there it's 4 in the morning here and that will get worse going across Europe to the east.
    Bah, I'm mostly over 200. Iirc Legions puts me at about 240. And I live one hour further away from the USA than Omnutia.
  • 200 ping is pretty bad though, especially for an FPS.
  • edited July 2008
    As is staying up to ungodly hours in the morning so now we have two good reasons instead of one.
  • Heh, well, it's 5:48AM where I am, and I'm going to go to sleep in an hour or two ;)
  • edited July 2008
    Right, all we need now is a guide to show people how, a US group and a permanent server for each then announce it in a new thread.
    • Guide
    • US Group
    • Server
    • Announce
  • So, how's about a game tonight? 18:00 PST work for people? (GMT 2:00, EST 21:00)
  • I haven't looked too much into this, but since I know Omnutia uses Linux I'll ask anyway: have you gotten it to work under Ubuntu?
    edited July 2008
    So, how's about a game tonight?
    Yes please!
    (GMT 2:00
    *GLARE* That's 4AM! And we all know about 4 AM in the morning, on Christmas day, with 10 feet of snow, and wanting a pizza delivered.
    have you gotten it to work under Ubuntu?
    Not me. And it already complains about unhandled exceptions in Windows, guess what happens on the incomplete implementation of Windows in Wine.
    Post edited by ... on
  • Given the number of people (3 so far) I say we just have a deathmatch until we get to about eight or so.
  • I'm in. I suck terribly, but I hope to be there.
  • edited July 2008
    We all suck terribly. If you can play TF2 while listening to podcasts you should be fine.
    Idea: As available servers don't show up on the select screen (you have to press insert then type in the IP), when you're about to host a server, change your Hamachi name to start with a "*Svr*" or something.
  • I'm in too.