This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Good hip-hop.

Comments

• Common Market is so fucking good. Like black diner coffee at 4am.

• SEO RAPPER - Design Coding
  • And just for fun... Here's George McFly.

• Celph Titled's new solo album is so much fun.

It makes me happy that he went off and did his own thing. He always seemed like the only guy who got the joke in Army of the Pharaohs.
  • How the fuck did I not know about this.
  • Merry Christmas everyone; EL-P and Killer Mike are doing a song together.
  • In this track, Murs and Slug endeavor to teach you how to be a respectable gentleman.

• edited February 2011
    The Parks & Recreation theme works really well in this.

This song was also featured in this video.
    Post edited by trogdor9 on
  • Blueprint was pretty far off my radar until I heard this.

I'm definitely looking forward to Adventures in Counterculture.
  • Holy shit. I haven't been this excited for a collab since Blakroc.
  • OFWGKTA on Jimmy Fallon.

Holy shit that was awesome.
    Hell yes. Even with all the (necessary) censorship.
  • Biggie + Miley
  • Kimya Dawson and Aesop Rock are making music together.Lots, by the sound of it.
    This is exciting.
    Wow that's awesome. Lest we forget, this also happened:
  • Biggie + Miley

BUMP!
  • edited February 2011
    Alright, I've officially found my way onto the Odd Future bandwagon. This stuff is powerful.

Post edited by Sail on
  • Just got turned on to this freaking amazing reworking of a Fela Kuti song by Dead Prez and Talib Kweli

• Goddamn, I love all three of those artists so much that I'm not even sure how to handle the three of them at once.
  • During my constant digging through underground hip-hop artists, I have no idea how I missed Doomtree. This is some hot shit right here.

Following that, in the times where I occasionally search for what female vocalists are doing in hip-hop, I'm amazed that I missed Dessa.

I love the way she combines singing and rapping, and whichever side she tends toward in a given song she's always an excelent lyricist.
  • Dat flow:
    Let's See, a Mac Lethal fast rap. If it doesn't contain the words cannibal, Peanut-butter apple, Vatican, Kill it dead, Midwestern whore bred, I'll be stunned.

Okay, Yeah, I'm mildly stunned. It's entirely new. Colour me impressed.
  • Dat flow:
    Let's See, a Mac Lethal fast rap. If it doesn't contain the words cannibal, Peanut-butter apple, Vatican, Kill it dead, Midwestern whore bred, I'll be stunned.

Okay, Yeah, I'm mildly stunned. It's entirely new. Colour me impressed.
    I'm also a fan of "Dazed and Confused," which also lacks those words:

I really can't fault the guy for having certain words in common in fast raps. It's a fact of linguistics that certain words in certain languages have their own rapid cadences, just like some other words naturally take on a musical quality despite not having any intentional melody.
  • I really can't fault the guy for having certain words in common in fast raps.
    It's not that - It's that literally every fast rap I've heard from him other than Dazed and confused or Tiger blood has, but for a line or two usually at the start, the same lyrics verbatim:

"mothafuckas wanna have another personal epiphany,
    I'm coming with a symphony, eliminating everybody/anybody,
    run up like a cannibal and bite 'em like a peanut butter apple,
    in a minute, I'ma nibble on a pentagram,
    and every single bitter lamb is getting so offended,
    I don't give a damn if anything a mental plan is coming,
    as a visually integrated entity,
    and everybody's gonna get the guillotine, yeah!,
    I'm gettin' cinematic in a matter of a minute,
    every milligram is devilish, the vatican will kill it dead,
    gonna kill it til it's dead, i'ma try to get em in the head,
    cornfed, midwestern whore-bred, she looks though thick,
    and juicy give it to me in the booty-shorts, then you gotta
    get up in the morn' "

Yeah, sharing similar word or verse structure, even using the same rhymes, that's cool, there is only so fast you can go before it becomes nonsense when you alter the pattern - but I'm not kidding, I mean Verbatim.
  • This is actually pretty awesome.
  • Lately I've been into Nujabes and Shing02. Both of them did music for Samurai Champloo, a lot of it is really awesome lyricless hip hop. I think Nujabes produces the beats, and Shing02 does the vocals. Most of the Nujabes-only songs are beats only.

I've also been big time into Bassnectar the past few months, and while it isn't directly rap, he has rappers in many of his songs. It's all really awesome.

Here's some youtubes for ya:

• Better than 99% of the stuff out there.