This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Good hip-hop.

Comments

• Warning! Insufficient levels of RJD2 have been detected in this thread. This will now be corrected.
  • Warning! Insufficient levels of RJD2 have been detected in this thread. This will now be corrected.
    Word.

Also, in case anybody missed it (as I did), El-P came out with an instrumental album.

• Y'know, it's weird, fully instrumental hip-hop really doesn't do much for me. Listening to something like Donuts, while I can appreciate the complexities of what J Dilla was doing, in the end just leaves me thinking about how much better it could be with vocals. It feels like it falls just ever so short of achieving its full potential.
  • It's a great basis for Plunderphonics, though.
  • edited November 2010
    It's also good for learning to freestyle.
    Post edited by Walker on
  • And, as I'm learning right now, doing homework. The In Sound From Way Out is a REALLY chill album.
  • Lady Sovereign is a badass lesbian who grew up in the slums. She'll eat you alive! Also, I like K-OS. There are others but I forget them. BLEARGH. I'm AT SCHOOL. FUCK YOU SCHOOL I'M WRITING ABOUT LESBIANS.
  • edited November 2010
    YOUR GAY STRAIGHT ALLIANCE, SUCKS BY THE WAY. JUST SAYING. QUIT HIRING WEIRD OLD GUYS WITH CHEST HAIR. THEY YELL AT THE LESBIANS. IT'S PRETTY MEAN.

fuckyou...
    SCHOOL.
    HA HA, rebellion. anyway. I like this guy, his act is called The Mexican Institute of Sound.He is so Mexican. Is Gorillaz hip-hop? Really like them. Awesome concert.
    Post edited by colbyblogger on
  • Lady Sovereign is a badass lesbian who grew up in the slums. She'll eat you alive! Also, I like K-OS. There are others but I forget them. BLEARGH. I'm AT SCHOOL. FUCK YOU SCHOOL I'M WRITING ABOUT LESBIANS.
    I know the area she grew up in, and it's not nice, but hardly a slum. And She'd hardly eat me alive, she's actually quite nice - a bit of a hard lass, but generally pretty nice and cool, despite being a filthy southerner. She is super tiny, though, fo' serious, she'd just about have to look up at full stretch to stare me in the chin.
  • The Mexican Institute of Sound.
    He's so fucking awesome.
    Is Gorillaz hip-hop? Really like them.
    Yep. Their first album is still one of my favorites. Dan the Automator is the Deep Space Future Hip-Hop Messiah:

• This is only partially hip-hop, but whatever. I like it.

• Sooo... I'm listening to the new Kanye West album. Been waiting for this leak because I've liked all the singles so far, even though I've never been very into anything Kanye has done before. Five tracks in and it's completely and utterly flippin' fantastic. I am floored. Calling it right here, best mainstream hip-hop album, ever. I can't even believe how good this is.
  • I want Kanye and Dan the Automator to do a collab. That would forge a new mainstream hip-hop era. Imagine if you could get kids all over the world to realize how fucking sick Deltron 3030 was.
  • Sooo... I'm listening to the new Kanye West album. Been waiting for this leak because I've liked all the singles so far, even though I've never been very into anything Kanye has done before. Five tracks in and it's completely and utterly flippin' fantastic. I am floored. Calling it right here, best mainstream hip-hop album, ever. I can't even believe how good this is.
    I didn't believe you. Now I'm listening to it. Holy shit.
  • edited November 2010
    Sooo... I'm listening to the new Kanye West album. Been waiting for this leak because I've liked all the singles so far, even though I've never been very into anything Kanye has done before. Five tracks in and it's completely and utterly flippin' fantastic. I am floored. Calling it right here, best mainstream hip-hop album, ever. I can't even believe how good this is.
    I didn't believe you. Now I'm listening to it.Holy shit.
    Samesies. Sweet Christ, "Monster" has some mindblowing beats. This is the fucking Mjolnir of hip-hop albums. It will crush anything made before or since.

I'm disappointed that the leak is clean.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • I'm disappointed that the leak is clean.
    Yeah. I am eager to have the normal version. Still, you can already tell that the impact of this album is going to be MASSIVE. Rappers ten, fifteen years down the line are going to be citing this as the album they grew up on.

Anyone else catch that South Park/fishsticks quip on Gorgeous?
  • edited November 2010
    Jesus Christ, he samples "21st Century Schizoid Man" on "Power."

How do you make an album with execution this flawless?
  • Lost In The World features one of the most effective uses of vocoder I've ever heard.
  • edited November 2010
    So Appalled is amazingly tight. I can't get over how well-done the beats are. It also features Jay-Z and the RZA. Insane.

I was just telling my prog-loving metalhead friend that we can't rag on Kanye anymore now that he built one of the sickest lines I've ever heard out of "21st Century Schizoid Man," to which he texted back, "Imma let you finish, but 'In the Court of the Crimson King' is one of the greatest prog albums of all time. Of all time." I love my friends.
  • edited November 2010
    I'm still going to have to rag on Kanye's lyricism a tiny bit. It feels pretty stilted every now and then, and All of the Lights' fucking kickass chorus is definitely brought down by the rapping in between. Part of those complaints is probably my brain reconciling my previous opinion of Kanye with how good this album is, though. This is just another reason to slap people for saying that Hip Hop is dead.
    Post edited by Walker on
  • Also, though I doubt it'll break before New Years, Dan the Automator says Deltron Event II is done and is slated to break before 2010 is up (which more likely means first half of 2011). This is a good time to be alive if you like hip-hop.
  • edited November 2010
    Also, though I doubt it'll break before New Years, Dan the Automator says Deltron Event II is done and is slated to break before 2010 is up (which more likely means first half of 2011). This is a good time to be alive if you like hip-hop.
    Fucking finally. It's nice to hear it from Dan, too; I just assume that Del is totally blazed every time he puts out a press release/album these days.
    Post edited by Walker on
  • I just assume that Del is totally blazed every time he puts out a press release/album these days.
    I still respect Del, even if Wikipedia says that "touring, mundane activities, and regular use of psychedelic drugs" held up his release schedule for a while. I mean, Handsome Boy Modeling School was just so fantastic.
  • edited November 2010
    Yeah, I saw that. And I thought the same thing in regards to the release date :P

However, I'm extremely weary. Dan the Automator, I trust. Kid Koala, while he hasn't put anything out for like five years, I'm fairly certain will still do a good job. Del, on the other hand, has consistently been putting out records every year for the last few years and none of it has been good. I'm kind of doubtful that the magic of the first release can be recreated in this one. Especially considering how long they've taken to work on it. I've got a very bad conviction that it's going to suck.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • Also, to Kanye and his friends, Demigodz/AOTP called and they want their punchlines back. God's got a whole iPod fill of Ap shit.
  • Explicit version is now out there.
  • edited November 2010
    Oh snap!

Also, my favorite line on the album is "they can kiss my ass//More specifically: my whole asshole." There's some latent homosexuality there. I also liked how he felt the need to specify precisely which part of his ass to kiss. Kanye is picky.

• Also, my favorite line on the album is "they can kiss my ass//More specifically: my whole asshole." There's some latent homosexuality there. I also liked how he felt the need to specify precisely which part of his ass to kiss. Kanye is picky.
    I'm pretty sure he used that line in the album 99 Problems was on, too.
  • edited November 2010
    See, I must not have been listening hard enough. It makes sense that Jay-Z would use it, but I was like, "Really, Kanye?" Perhaps I am confused.
  • See, I must not have been listening hard enough. It makes sense that Jay-Z would use it, but I was like, "Really, Kanye?" Perhaps I am confused.
    Derp a derp a derp, I didn't say it was a Jay-z line. But still, Yeah, I had a re-listen to 99 problems, in the first verse - "I'm like fuck critics you can kiss my whole asshole"