This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Good hip-hop.

Comments

• No, the best line is the one right after that.

"I'm an asshole."
  • Alright, you guys. I'm gonna give this a listen. This better not be some kind of prank.
  • edited November 2010
    Alright, you guys. I'm gonna give this a listen. This better not be some kind of prank.
    Imma let you finish, but "My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy" is in my top ten albums of all time. OF ALL TIME.

But seriously, this is at least as good as Paul's Boutique and Deltron 3030, and maybe better than the latter. I didn't think a hip-hop album could do that these days.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • edited November 2010
    is in my top ten albums of all time. OF ALL TIME.
    I saw what you did thar
    Post edited by colbyblogger on
  • top ten albums of all time.
    I wouldn't go that far, but it's definitely in my top ten albums of this year.
  • I wouldn't go that far, but it's definitely in my top ten albums of this year.
    Mine too, by virtue of the fact that I probably haven't listened to 10 new albums this year.
  • I wouldn't go that far, but it's definitely in my top ten albums of this year.
    Mine too, by virtue of the fact that I probably haven't listened to 10 new albums this year.
    For me, it's more by virtue of the fact that I only heard about ten albums I actually liked this year :p
  • I don't think it's that great. The beats are fantastic, of course, but lyrically I've still heard so much better. To talk some shit, Eyedea (were he still alive :<) could flow technical circles around every one of Kanye's crew, MF Doom could pack all the meaning in one of Kanye's verses into two bars, and had Brother Ali told the story in All of the Lights it probably would've made me cry. It's really solid all the way through, and thanks to that I can't really knock it, but it doesn't have the passion or raw technical prowess that my favorite rappers possess.

Good god, though, those beats are some seriously hot shit. :P
  • For me, the beats more than make up for the unremarkable rapping. This album really is all about the production.
  • edited November 2010
    For me, the beats more than make up for the unremarkable rapping. This album really is all about the production.
    I think I'm just unnaturally focused on lyricism. Listening to El-P rip shit on a breakbeat gets me more pumped than pretty much any other music.
    Post edited by Walker on
  • Speaking of which:

Before this I knew Das Racist for that funny song about Pizza Hut and Taco bell. Dudes can rap.
  • edited November 2010
    On the "Top ten albums of all time": I definitely said that just to make the (old) meme work. It does make my top ten albums of the year, though.

On the lyricism vs. production: It's all about production. Obviously I prefer MF Doom, Mac Lethal, Common Market, Dead Prez, Eyedea, and a host of others to the rappers on Kanye's album. But for mainstream hip-hop, beats are probably 60-70% of the package. The thing that makes Kanye's album so good is that he proves that this isn't necessarily a bad thing, and he leads by example with some of the maddest lines around.

On Das Racist: They're pretty great. Pitchfork likes them, and I can see why (though I care very little for what Pitchfork says quite frequently).
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • edited November 2010
    I listened to My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy, and it is indeed rather good.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • edited November 2010
    I like Das Racist when they're either being serious or really silly, but when their lyrics breach into irony, I find it incredibly agitating. See: "Rainbow in the Dark".
    Post edited by Sail on
  • when their lyrics breach into irony, I find it incredibly agitating. See: "Rainbow in the Dark".
    I can buy that.
  • Kanye released a track with Talib Kweli yesterday, and it is awful. Good to know I still have taste.
  • Kanye released a track with Talib Kweli yesterday, and it is awful. Good to know I still have taste.
    Is that "Chain Heavy?" That track is garbage.
  • I have no clue where Aesop Rock falls, but I looked him up recently and he's pretty damn awesome.
  • I have no clue where Aesop Rock falls, but I looked him up recently and he's pretty damn awesome.
    I probably mentioned this in this thread already, but I love Aesop Rock. He's one of the guys that inspired me to start rapping. I've been listening to Labor Days a lot recently, and it's really grown on me.

Word on the street Aes' twitter is that he's got another solo album coming out pretty soon. Hopefully that isn't another Deltron situation.
  • That was awesome. He's like an incredibly British Paul barman.
  • This thread isn't based enough.

You'll thank me someday. Maybe not now. But someday.
  • edited November 2010
    Posted 50% for Good rap, 50% for the Cadbury Gorilla.

Also, this is pretty fucking funny, as well as being pretty awesome.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • B. Dolan has it goin' on.

Joan of Arc had a dildo named “Jesus”,
    made of wood from the cross of it’s namesake
    and her orgasms were all omens
    when she came it would fill her with right!

and when the light had finally left her
    she lay ruined across her sheets
    her mouth unhinged,
    her shape like a victim
    murdered, in a sleep without dreams

Joan of Arc was a warrior poet.
    and she baptized the world in flame.
    and she never stopped to wonder, for even a moment
    why “Jesus”
    never came.
  • This thread isn't based enough.
    Word, Lil B has been killing it, I've been looking forward to everything he's put out for the past year.
  • This is fucking awesome.
  • It sounds so great with high quality headphones.
  • I don't know why I love this song so much. It's like ear candy.